Starhub 1Gbps Fibre Review

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quite happy with Starhub and renewed my contract with them.
I even got the new EA7500 V2 Router from them and did some tests.
Definitely an upgrade from the old DIR-868L and I have much better coverage in my new house.

Did a wired test connection and this is what I got :

6713756065.png

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Linksys ea7500 v2 is definitely an upgrade in terms of performance at router device level comparing to dlink..

Quite happy with Starhub and renewed my contract with them.
I even got the new EA7500 V2 Router from them and did some tests.
Definitely an upgrade from the old DIR-868L and I have much better coverage in my new house.

Did a wired test connection and this is what I got :

6713756065.png

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Linksys ea7500 v2 is definitely an upgrade in terms of performance at router device level comparing to dlink..

Absolutely sir. Even my WiFi speeds managed to hit 502mbps down and 685mbps down. D-link best I ever got was low 400s. Same devices used to test so router is definitely a level up or more from D-link.

chesterqw

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
It depends.
if nothing is wrong, the internet is good.

if something goes wrong, oh boy.
calling the customer service number won't repair it, but to keep them in check by annoying the **** out of them till they fix it.

the new router is probably better than the previous d-link.

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Am facing intermittent DHCP issues with starhub fibre since 11.45pm 18 Oct 2017.

Reboot Asus ac-87u with Merlin 380.68 twice and saw its the ISP DHCP issue from the main router admin page.

I am quite reluctant to go on fibre TV due to both parents using a hubstation each and me having to teach them to use the fibre TV box because of a changed user interface

Their internet fibre leaves alot to be desired as when it's down it takes 3 days to get the Netlink Trust staff down to troubleshoot.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Usual caveat applies, fibre link down = everything down.
Of course. What made me worried were the seemingly numerous complaints about their DNS server & how supposedly connection keeps dropping even on wired connection.

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Of course. What made me worried were the seemingly numerous complaints about their DNS server & how supposedly connection keeps dropping even on wired connection.
You can always change your dns server to google's dns server. Google's dns server is pretty rock solid.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can always change your dns server to google's dns server. Google's dns server is pretty rock solid.
Well yeah but i was just wondering if starhub DNS server is really the cause?

I mean if its as simple as changing to google DNS then im sure every starhub fibre user will do that no? 😂

On another note how does one change the default DNS to google DNS? Mac user here. Sorry, i suck at networking stuff.

Last edited:

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well yeah but i was just wondering if starhub DNS server is really the cause?

I mean if its as simple as changing to google DNS then im sure every starhub fibre user will do that no? ******************

On another note how does one change the default DNS to google DNS? Mac user here. Sorry, i suck at networking stuff.
Look for DHCP settings in your router config, add google's DNS server(8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) to the DNS server field.

Most won't bother with changing the DNS server; plug everything in and it works, why bother?

Personally I've never used starhub's DNS server so I can't comment as to whether it's causing problems or not.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Look for DHCP settings in your router config, add google's DNS server(8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) to the DNS server field.

Most won't bother with changing the DNS server; plug everything in and it works, why bother?

Personally I've never used starhub's DNS server so I can't comment as to whether it's causing problems or not.
From what i understand once u add DNS servers in, it goes in order that u put. So i guess no harm just adding google too.

Hopefully starhub's is ok, failing which I guess just move it down the list & move google DNS up the list.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From what i understand once u add DNS servers in, it goes in order that u put. So i guess no harm just adding google too.

Hopefully starhub's is ok, failing which I guess just move it down the list & move google DNS up the list.
Hestitate n worry too much would not help you as it make you worse.
Alternately check your next door neighbours on how their connection are, which ISP(s).

There are many things affect connections.
Beside ISP; the fibre cable from your point to NetLink to ISP; some locations are monitored hence ISP are careful as IMDA also do monitored in this way; Router no good as faulty, etc.

Life is full of unknown.
from SMRT CEO: That's Life ...

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I go by the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Unfortunately starhub is ceasing cable tv in 2020. There after if one still wants starhub tv it will have to be starhub fibre tv. Alternatively singtel fibre tv.

Tv channel wise both about the same. Price wise too. Just that i've been on starhub for so long & gotten used to the onscreen UI. Plus now that starhub mobile has free mobile data on weekends i guess its worth going for homehub go 1000.

I guess for my circumstances its logical to go with starhub lah. Just a bit worried after reading about issues of speed & frequent disconnects mah. Its 2 years contract leh. If no contract i whack liao loh no need think so much. If sucks just jump ship. But with contract if it sucks as what some have feedbacked, im stuck for 2 years siol.

U have some singtel users saying singtel connection more stable. Then u also have some singtel users complaining about frequent disconnects too.

I guess either way also its LPPL 😂

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I go by the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Unfortunately starhub is ceasing cable tv in 2020. There after if one still wants starhub tv it will have to be starhub fibre tv. Alternatively singtel fibre tv.

Tv channel wise both about the same. Price wise too. Just that i've been on starhub for so long & gotten used to the onscreen UI. Plus now that starhub mobile has free mobile data on weekends i guess its worth going for homehub go 1000.

I guess for my circumstances its logical to go with starhub lah. Just a bit worried after reading about issues of speed & frequent disconnects mah. Its 2 years contract leh. If no contract i whack liao loh no need think so much. If sucks just jump ship. But with contract if it sucks as what some have feedbacked, im stuck for 2 years siol.

U have some singtel users saying singtel connection more stable. Then u also have some singtel users complaining about frequent disconnects too.

I guess either way also its LPPL �
A word of cautious.

HomeHub Go mobile may not have free weekend mobile data.
Do check and confirm before you signed up and then find out.
It use the old 4G plans with sms.

However for Mobile not in HomeHub package is only come with free weekend mobile data.
No 4G plan and no SMS included.

Do be aware.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A word of cautious.

HomeHub Go mobile may not have free weekend mobile data.
Do check and confirm before you signed up and then find out.
It use the old 4G plans with sms.

However for Mobile not in HomeHub package is only come with free weekend mobile data.
No 4G plan and no SMS included.

Do be aware.
No lah weekend free data also got 4G. No sms but who uses sms these days?

U were right about homehub go. But that comes w 15gb data which is more than enough for me.

seowbin

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quite disappointed with starhub

They blocked so many websites. Saw my friend posting her horse betting tickets in HK

Went to surf hkjc website also kanna block. Really bad surfing experience. Was on MR....

No freedom.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quite disappointed with starhub

They blocked so many websites. Saw my friend posting her horse betting tickets in HK

Went to surf hkjc website also kanna block. Really bad surfing experience. Was on MR....

No freedom.
Use VPN?????

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can use VPN but why pay for a internet service that can't even surf properly....

I tot MDA only blocked like 100 sites or so last time...

MDA blocked websites are stated.

I did come across websites blocked but some do able to access.
Someone post a link that website unable to access.
Another replied said had no issue n able to visit.
I was unable to access too but VPN is fine to access.
But later, after a period of time or days, i was able to visit that website without any problem.

Hence it may due to routing or whatever.
As it is not blocking issue.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.