worth to buy Mini 4 now?

waterballoon

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pro is really overkill to me... I only need iPad to read eBooks and watch videos, little things like that.

And I hate the iPad 2017 screen and how clunky it is.

but the A8 processor makes me wonder if Mini 4 can make it or not, sigh.

Chips

Reaction score
for tasks like that should be fast enough. I doubt we will see an update to iPad mini this year. Can consider getting a second hand or refurbished set to save $

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u hate all e other alternatives so looks like u dun have a choice...

kenchi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tab wise no others choice lor
Others like androids is crsp the smaller size is only mini 4

Alltjoucir I just got iPad Pro 10.5

Speeed and smootness off course nothing beats the iPad Pro 10.5 now try
I updated mine mini 4 to iOS 11 smoothness is not as good as iOS 10 but at least it's supported

So I guessed iOS 12 for mini 4 is over kill Liao as iOS 11 is already not as smooth as before unless later stage of iOS 11 patch even it out the non smoothness

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually pro processor is fast we know but
If the iOS patches keep goin update non stop with all ******** features the pro chip soon also like A8 lei

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm running my mini 4 with iOS 11.0.2, still works fine. Bought since it was launched.

kenchi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mini4 on iOS 11.02 still acceptable even is on a much older core
I hand down my mini 4 to mine Mum for her work need and I go iPad pro 10.5

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I love the mini's size and portability for travelling around so anything larger than that is too big for me. a sad thing that Apple's going to stop at the mini 4 for 7.9". If there's a mini pro, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

jtdcjtdc

Reaction score
still on A8 like the iPhone 6 series, with added 100 Mhz speed (1.5 Ghz). luckily it got 2GB ram. i was on the fence before, but with the price, i just went ahead and got the iPad 5th 2017.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
still on A8 like the iPhone 6 series, with added 100 Mhz speed (1.5 Ghz). luckily it got 2GB ram. i was on the fence before, but with the price, i just went ahead and got the iPad 5th 2017.

But mini 4's spec will cause current iOS 11 to lag slightly, though still very usable. I suppose from iOS 12, it should be the last iOS it supports.

After that, I guess I'll be forced to upgrade. :o

Extremme

Master Member
Reaction score
riding on the same thread. I am contemplating between a new ipad mini4 or ipad (not pro). The ipad seems to have slightly better specs. Looking at 128gb.

Size is not a concern to me though.

jtdcjtdc

Reaction score
if size is not a concern to you then the best bet is iPad 5th/2017. you get the better A9 chip and GPU, more longevity and support. if you won't use the addons in ipad pro, clearly its the best bet. i've no regrets, got the 128GB as well.

kenchi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya mini 4 on iOS 11 even it's usable it from the looks it's wil be the last upgrade of iOS if sill wanna use

As mine Mum colleagues got a used set of mini 1 or 2 they complains of dsmm lag hahahhah lucky I hand over mine mini 4 to my Mum so it's still quite smooth

But mini 4's spec will cause current iOS 11 to lag slightly, though still very usable. I suppose from iOS 12, it should be the last iOS it supports.

After that, I guess I'll be forced to upgrade. :o

Extremme

Master Member
Reaction score
if size is not a concern to you then the best bet is iPad 5th/2017. you get the better A9 chip and GPU, more longevity and support. if you won't use the addons in ipad pro, clearly its the best bet. i've no regrets, got the 128GB as well.

This one right ? https://www.apple.com/sg/ipad-9.7/

Is there a way to check if it’s 5th/2017 if I am buying from outside shop?

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya mini 4 on iOS 11 even it's usable it from the looks it's wil be the last upgrade of iOS if sill wanna use

As mine Mum colleagues got a used set of mini 1 or 2 they complains of dsmm lag hahahhah lucky I hand over mine mini 4 to my Mum so it's still quite smooth

Some more mini 4 is the only in the mini series that can do split view. Currently also playing infinite flight with all settings set to high, still playable but with slight lag.

Perhaps in future, I may not even need an iPad anymore as just used it for games, reading CNN and some videos. ;)

Extremme

Master Member
Reaction score
Am in HK right now. The price is definitely cheaper by 80-100. Besides the warranty, anything else different from buying in Singapore? I have one iPad(16gb) which I have been using for 4 years and still going strong. If it's not for the fact that Apple is no longer supporting this model, I would not need to change.

Update : only WiFi version of iPad is covered under international warranty.

Last edited:

pvc4am

Reaction score
I also having same dilemna.. ipad mini 2 kaput.. want to buy replacement ipad mini but seeing that ipad mini 4 is like 2yrs old oredi and ipad got new 2017 model.. seems like ipad is the wiser choice.

Just that I really like the form factor of mini :(

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The mini is just so light and portable. I really wished that Apple would update it with a 'pro' version or specs, but only put it at 128GB now.

jtdcjtdc

Reaction score
This one right ? https://www.apple.com/sg/ipad-9.7/

Is there a way to check if it’s 5th/2017 if I am buying from outside shop?

its quite easy to spot this.

compared to all other ipads : firstly, the mute/rotation switch above the volume on the ipad side SHOULD NOT exist. secondly, the home button is touch ID enabled (no square icon).

compared to ipad air2 : ipad 5th/2017 is a bit thicker and heavier. the positive of this is it has higher battery capacity.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.