Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

honestguy

Reaction score
Just an update: The remote control unit sucks. It has a slow internal short and my new batteries are all fully discharged after about 5 weeks. Without the remote control, the set is useless because it will only show the last channel selected. There is totally no other buttons on its panel.

Although I have encountered such similar leakage problems before on other remote control units like my old retired TV and fans, but they only happened after several years of usage, which I think is fair. Also, these remote controls have standalone transistors and/or capacitors which are usually the cause of the current leakage and can be easily purchased and replaced. However, this set top box's remote control is a 1-piece PCB with only an embedded enamel encapsulated IC chip on it. There's no transistor nor capacitor to replace.

So, I'm left with 2 choices: remove at least 1 battery after every use or make a switch to connect the batteries only when required. I then installed a mini tact switch at its side and will need to press it with my last finger during each use. A bit inconvenient but at least it can still work. Considering that this is a brand new product when purchased, I can only say that the quality of China products are indeed "hit & run".

I bought similar remote control from eBay to replace the K2 standard issue. Works perfectly out of the box. Much more responsive than the original one. Can consider this one for your replacement.

0ZfsfUO.jpg

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/222677081633

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I bought similar remote control from eBay to replace the K2 standard issue. Works perfectly out of the box. Much more responsive than the original one. Can consider this one for your replacement.

Setting for the TV control buttons is kind of confusing and doesn't always work. Whilst STB side work out of the box but as usual some of the buttons are not that responsive.

honestguy

Reaction score
Setting for the TV control buttons is kind of confusing and doesn't always work. Whilst STB side work out of the box but as usual some of the buttons are not that responsive.
For this one, all buttons work well. I also manage to control my Sony TV with the 4 TV buttons.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For this one, all buttons work well. I also manage to control my Sony TV with the 4 TV buttons.

Perhaps it's due to the unknown TV brand that I'm using. Anyway, managed to get the TV Power button working which is the most important.

honestguy

Reaction score
Perhaps it's due to the unknown TV brand that I'm using. Anyway, managed to get the TV Power button working which is the most important.

As long the recipient remote control has learning function, I believe unknown or known TV brand is in-material. I also have to get the replacement remote control to "learned" from the Sony remote about 5 - 6 times. After you get the hang of it, then it is easy to do the configuration.

u0206397

Reaction score
That's because our digital signal strength is low.
Went to Hong Kong, no such problem.

Did MediaCorp and IMDA botch the DVB-T2 deployment by scrimping on the number of base stations like what the telcos are doing? :s22:

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did MediaCorp and IMDA botch the DVB-T2 deployment by scrimping on the number of base stations like what the telcos are doing? :s22:

This is just like those digital system first implement in public transport. Lots of receiption issue.

The base station is simply at minimum. Just like our 3G/4G system. Those who travel oversea will notice immediate different with the same handset.

samtang

Reaction score

Iceman88

Reaction score
Don't think Mediacorp & Govt are that concerned about quality of DVB-T2 reception using antenna since no. of people tuning in that way should be very much in minority; the 900+K SH & Singtel pay TV subscribers and increasing numbers of internet streaming consumers are out of equation. With so many residents not bothering to watch local FTA channels, no need to worry about them right? So I think they simply do some random outdoor testing of DVB-T2 reception and then declare everything "ok"....

But for many people it's not ok leh, and I think many elderly are not at all happy with this newfangled digital TV stuff. Many old folk may only watch one FTA channel only, don't see any point to wasting money on pay TV or buying new fancy smart TV with features they'll never use; they only want their daily TV watching to remain stable & unchanged forever. Now even if they continue to use their old TV, must connect external STB and learn to use another device & remote control. They're very likely to end up using wrong remote, change channels on wrong device, forget to power off STB when finished, get very annoyed when previously rock solid reception thru cable point becomes jittery & unstable using antenna (gets worst during bad weather). The sky can fall down but don't anybody dare to mess with their favourite Ch 8 shows & Taiwanese dramas, lol. If old folk gets stressed, rest of family kena stressed too!

So for social harmony, Mediacorp & IMDA better pull up their socks to improve indoor reception across Singapore, especially for troublesome Ch8 whose signal seems weakest of all channels. They should do more testing of diverse scenarios, not merely outdoors & close to window. How many people's living room layout has their TV practically touching their windows?

Iceman88

Reaction score
Funke DSC550 - Ex but good. Using this on low floor. No problem on raining days. Got this from Giant $49

http://www.lazada.sg/funke-dsc-550-...html?spm=a2o42.search.0.0.6cc7d08dqGXQlS&ff=1

I've the Funke Combo 5.1, generally great but still get distorted reception during bad weather and maybe even strong winds. But I can't really blame the antenna since it worked perfectly with two other TVs, but got let down by the pathetically weak tuner used in Samsung TVs. So Funke antennas are really good, although more expensive, unless you happen to have a Samsung TV lol.

mosmos

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Don't think Mediacorp & Govt are that concerned about quality of DVB-T2 reception using antenna since no. of people tuning in that way should be very much in minority; the 900+K SH & Singtel pay TV subscribers and increasing numbers of internet streaming consumers are out of equation. With so many residents not bothering to watch local FTA channels, no need to worry about them right? So I think they simply do some random outdoor testing of DVB-T2 reception and then declare everything "ok"....

But for many people it's not ok leh, and I think many elderly are not at all happy with this newfangled digital TV stuff. Many old folk may only watch one FTA channel only, don't see any point to wasting money on pay TV or buying new fancy smart TV with features they'll never use; they only want their daily TV watching to remain stable & unchanged forever. Now even if they continue to use their old TV, must connect external STB and learn to use another device & remote control. They're very likely to end up using wrong remote, change channels on wrong device, forget to power off STB when finished, get very annoyed when previously rock solid reception thru cable point becomes jittery & unstable using antenna (gets worst during bad weather). The sky can fall down but don't anybody dare to mess with their favourite Ch 8 shows & Taiwanese dramas, lol. If old folk gets stressed, rest of family kena stressed too!

So for social harmony, Mediacorp & IMDA better pull up their socks to improve indoor reception across Singapore, especially for troublesome Ch8 whose signal seems weakest of all channels. They should do more testing of diverse scenarios, not merely outdoors & close to window. How many people's living room layout has their TV practically touching their windows?

my house was selected by MediaCorp or IMDA for dvbt2 indoor signal testing. They have their equipment to measure strength of signal and antenna for testing, check every corner and section of my living room, the testing lasted about 30 mins. They said the dvbt2 signal in my living room at every corner is good, no need buy fancy antenna with booster :s22:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my house was selected by MediaCorp or IMDA for dvbt2 indoor signal testing. They have their equipment to measure strength of signal and antenna for testing, check every corner and section of my living room, the testing lasted about 30 mins. They said the dvbt2 signal in my living room at every corner is good, no need buy fancy antenna with booster :s22:

My house is on low floor. I am using the $1.50 antenna and I can get 8 channels with good signal strength and signal quality.

u0206397

Reaction score
Has anyone tried out STB using Novatek 78306 and MStar MSD7T01?
Is one better than the other in some ways (e.g. more efficient, less heat, more responsive, switch channel faster, start faster on power up)? :s12:

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows how to use the favourite button on the remote ? I can't figure out. Thanks.

This button is basically use to sort channel into category like Movie, News, Sport, etc. Not really that useful since we only have a handful of channels to play with.

Just use the Program Edit under Menu, select the channel of interests, press FAV button and choose the category you want. The next time you press FAV button, the list of channel will appear under the selected category, use left/right button to browse the list.

Iceman88

Reaction score

So did you use a cheap $2 mini passive antenna and prove their testing is accurate? How big is your living room and are you on high floor? It'll be funny if after their confident testing the homeowner still can't get perfect reception lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.