Malaysia prepaid card

fatfleaz

Reaction score
Every RM1 top up will extend 1 day validity for most of the telcos there.

Extend 1 day validity meaning if I extend today (22/10), the expiry will be 23/10?

I'm currently using Digi prepaid and the inactive period is 90 days. So does this mean if I pay RM1 every 90 days, I am able to maintain my number? Any advice appreciated.

kitkat2

Reaction score
Extend 1 day validity meaning if I extend today (22/10), the expiry will be 23/10?

I'm currently using Digi prepaid and the inactive period is 90 days. So does this mean if I pay RM1 every 90 days, I am able to maintain my number? Any advice appreciated.

yes, your number becomes active again and after that the standard inactive period follows.

syedafiff

Reaction score
Have updated image links on how xox works, where to access accounts, balance example in my travel bazaar thread. do look up over there! :)

yongweisoon

Reaction score
to those planning to get hotlink, it may be better to get hold of the super 2.0 prepaid version instead of fast. in addition to the free weekend data, super 2.0 also comes with free late night data.

https://www.hotlink.com.my/en/plans/super.html

dont go with hotlinks i had a back experience with them after upgrading to fast 3.0 my line got terminated exceeding the grace period (50days) without any notice or sms worst i have the number for many years usually they do give warning

Basking123

Reaction score
If I buy a prepaid SIM from JB, and then later go to KL and use it to call KL nos., would it be expensive? like calling from Johore to KL interstate rate, although physically I am in KL?

How to differentiate which SIM card is from which state?

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I buy a prepaid SIM from JB, and then later go to KL and use it to call KL nos., would it be expensive? like calling from Johore to KL interstate rate, although physically I am in KL?

How to differentiate which SIM card is from which state?

There's no specific telcos for each state, but some telco networks are said to have better connection with certain states.

Anyway, the main telco networks like Maxis (Hotlink), Digi, and Celcom (XPAX, OneXOX) should be alright unless you go into ulu places.

Basking123

Reaction score
There's no specific telcos for each state, but some telco networks are said to have better connection with certain states.

Anyway, the main telco networks like Maxis (Hotlink), Digi, and Celcom (XPAX, OneXOX) should be alright unless you go into ulu places.

I mean like long distance call rate. I think Msia used to have this, but not sure if they do away with it now. For example, Johore SIM card calling within Johore is local rate, but if call.... Perlis(?) considered long distance rate, and if one day you move up to Perlis, and use the same Johore SIM, it will still be treated as long distance call.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I mean like long distance call rate. I think Msia used to have this, but not sure if they do away with it now. For example, Johore SIM card calling within Johore is local rate, but if call.... Perlis(?) considered long distance rate, and if one day you move up to Perlis, and use the same Johore SIM, it will still be treated as long distance call.

I believe there's no difference in the call rates for such a case. Just check any of the telco websites, there's only local and overseas rates, nothing about interstate, AFAIK.

syedafiff

Reaction score
I believe there's no difference in the call rates for such a case. Just check any of the telco websites, there's only local and overseas rates, nothing about interstate, AFAIK.
Only Hotlink have plans for calls from EC/EM East Coast area (Terengganu, kelantan) & East MY (Sabah Sarawak)
rate is topup rm10 free 10 mins (maxis-maxis)
rm 20 free 60 mins (maxis-maxis)

but free calls only take effect when calls are made in EC/EM area. Outside the area will charge normal rate rm0.15/30sec.

Other telco hv same rate to call wherever you are.

Basking123

Reaction score
Only Hotlink have plans for calls from EC/EM East Coast area (Terengganu, kelantan) & East MY (Sabah Sarawak)
rate is topup rm10 free 10 mins (maxis-maxis)
rm 20 free 60 mins (maxis-maxis)

but free calls only take effect when calls are made in EC/EM area. Outside the area will charge normal rate rm0.15/30sec.

Other telco hv same rate to call wherever you are.

ok, that is convenient.

koreanlover

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Topped up via MyXOX APP but balance was not added.
Received email that it was successful. Was OK last time.

EDIT: Just checked again after a few hours and it is added.

Last edited:

xtemujin

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
M’sia sees biggest mobile data breach
Tuesday, 31 Oct 2017

PETALING JAYA: The personal details of some 46.2 million mobile number subscribers in Malaysia are at stake in what is believed to be one of the largest data breaches ever seen in the country.

From home addresses and MyKad numbers to SIM card information, the private details of almost the entire population may have fallen into the wrong hands.

Malaysia’s population is only around 32 million, but many have several mobile numbers. The list is also believed to include inactive numbers and temporary ones bought by visiting foreigners.

With this leak, Malaysians may be vulnerable to social engineering attacks and in a worst-case scenario, phones may be cloned.

It is also said that 81,309 records from the Malaysian Medical Council, Malaysian Medical Association (MMA) and Malaysian Dental Association were also leaked.

The leak of the mobile data was reported earlier this month on online forum and news site lowyat.net, which reported that it was thought to originate from a massive data breach in 2014.

Yesterday, the site “confirmed” that 46.2 million mobile numbers were leaked online.

Lowyat.net founder Vijandren Ramadass told The Star that all information it received on the matter was handed over to the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).

Asked what sort of action would be needed, he said: “Telcos need to admit that this breach actually happened and should inform all their customers what should be done.”

It is believed that the MCMC and police are collaborating on the investigation.

Network and security strategist Gavin Chow said the most common social engineering attack examples were phone and messaging scams.

“Scammers pretend to be someone calling or texting from the telco since they can prove they have the target’s personal details,” said Chow, who is with cybersecurity and malware protection company Fortinet.

He added that the scammers would then try to trick the victim in various ways.

These include transferring funds into their accounts and installing “telco applications” containing malware or spyware, which will be used to exploit the target in future.

“The devices would likely not be hacked directly, but anyone with the data dump information and a little creativity may convince unsuspecting victims to install malware on their devices.

“Users need to be alert when receiving calls and messages from strangers. Do not get tricked into sharing more personal details, transferring funds or installing apps,” he said.

Technology strategist Dinesh Nair said there was not much that consumers could do, but they should change their SIM card, for starters.

“Your name, address, phone number, the IMSI (international mobile subscriber identity) and the IMEI (international Mobile Equipment Identity), which are tied to your device are all out there.

“I’m sure my data is there as well. People with really good technical skills will be able to clone someone’s phone and that’s the worst-case scenario,” he said.

Dinesh added that while no one knew where the breach occurred, the fact that the details were out there pointed to a leak of some sort.

“How it happened, we can’t tell but with so much released from different telcos at the same time, it must come from a single source,” he added.

Bar Council cyber law and information technology committee co-chairman Foong Cheng Leong said assuming that the leak was after the enforcement of the Personal Data Protection Act 2010, there might have been a breach of the Act’s Security Principle by the data users.

“The Security Principle requires data users to process personal data securely, but there is not much customers can do other than file a complaint with the Personal Data Protection Commissioner,” he said.

Digi said in a statement that it prioritised the privacy of its customer data.

“The authorities are looking into the matter and we’ll continue to support them,” the statement read.

Celcom Axiata Bhd said it was “collaborating closely with the authorities to assist in the investigation”, a sentiment echoed by Maxis Bhd, which also said it “fully supports the investigation”.

Representatives from U Mobile declined to speak about the leak, while representatives of TuneTalk could not be contacted for comments at press time.

MMA president Dr Ravindran R. Naidu said a police report was lodged more than a week ago when news of the leak surfaced.

“Of course, no system is unhackable. Even the US Department of Defence has been hacked.

“However, we have been in the process of upgrading our IT system for the last year or so and the new servers will be more secure.

“We will also be upgrading our operational security measures and introducing a new SOP for our staff to minimise the risk of a repeat of this episode,” he said.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nat...scribed-numbers-at-risk-from-scam-attacks-an/

syedafiff

Reaction score
Topped up via MyXOX APP but balance was not added.
Received email that it was successful. Was OK last time.

EDIT: Just checked again after a few hours and it is added.
if any cases of lost credit or late topup, call CS at
12273 Xox mobile user
+603-78824952 from abroad.

Xox will refund any lost credit from any 5 digit promo sms (xox blocked most sms but things happen). If any problem occur while in MY
I'm also available if wanna request mercy data transfer/minute call transfer hehe

hellhole

Reaction score
hey...

i was in jb last sunday. didnt really wanted to get a card as just going there for a 1/2 day..

but got curious at city square... and walked into a digi shop.. i asked... how much for the pre paid card.. got quoted RM39 for some 'digi live'?? that is the only thing i saw on their wall..

i walked to the other shop.. but no one seem to want to entertain me...

RM39 seems quite a bit to me... from what i see in this thread.. its maybe like RM10-15??? so how can a Singaporean buy a prepiad card for the right price? ?? hahah

maybe people will say i am cheapskate.. but the fact remain.. its suppose to be cheaper?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.