Which MBA?

chopra

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi. Like to seek everyone's opinion. If I were to take up a MBA, I would be 36year-old by graduation. My current industry does not value MBA, i.e. I would need to switch industry. Am I too old for MBA? I graduated with FCH from local uni almost a decade ago.

Reason for taking MBA: Taking a break from work. Aiming to switch from engineering industry (hands on level aka doing dirty engineering work) to MNCs/Finance industry (management level aka paper warrior)

TIA.

Last edited:

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
During my reservist, there NSman who quit his job as Engineer & study full time MBA in local Uni. Later he work in bank but did not share further his job title. This was like around 4 to 5 years back when he start working in the bank.

You are not too late to take MBA but I hope you don't get the false impression that a MBA will guarantee you in MNCs/Finance industry (management level aka paper warrior).

Due to uncertain economy, it maybe hard to get a job (after you graduated with a MBA) that is relevant to your experience and qualifications. You may even have to get a position lower then your current job with much lower wages.

Hi. Like to seek everyone's opinion. If I were to take up a MBA, I would be 36year-old by graduation. My current industry does not value MBA, i.e. I would need to switch industry. Am I too old for MBA? I graduated with FCH from local uni almost a decade ago.

Reason for taking MBA: Taking a break from work. Aiming to switch from engineering industry (hands on level aka doing dirty engineering work) to MNCs/Finance industry (management level aka paper warrior)

TIA.

starbugg

Reaction score

TIA.

Hello, speaking from experience. Let me give my two cents worth.

It is not easy to switch industry even with a MBA. A full-time MBA may have a little advantage but the employers still see you as someone with certain experience in an industry, they don see you as a fresh graduate. The reason why full-time student may have a little advantage because you have more opportunities to do internship in a different industry where they pay much lesser to hire you and let you try out the new role. Whereas, if you do part-time MBA, you don't have the flexibility to do internship unless you plan to quit your full time job after you got an internship. Furthermore, as a full-time student, you have more time to attend company visits, career talks, training sessions organised by schools and student clubs.

It is not too late for your age to take MBA. Many MBA students are around that age. though there are also quite a number of MBA students in their 20s. (PS: What's FCH?)

Instead of switching totally from one industry to another, I suggest that you can switch your function from hands-on engineering to management level engineering , then switch to another industry in the same management function as before.

Who knows? you may not even want to switch job but to do your own start up along the way in MBA. Taking MBA allows you to get in touch with many people and opportunities which allow you to explore new possibilities about yourself. It is important to choose your school wisely because culture of the school matters.

Do also note that you have to spend some time to study for GMAT and take the exam and get reference letters from your current or former employers.

theboy84

Reaction score

TIA.

I studied for mine (exec part time) with people in their 30s- 50s and also interacted with full timers who were in 30s-40s.

The full timers are probably more relevant and they were able to, where they had the personality not just intelligence, change their careers.

I went from healthcare management to finance (banking) and haven't looked back.

If I were you i'd focus on finding an MBA that -

1) has a good alumni network in the sector you're looking for
2) is on the recruitment radar for the sector you're looking for e.g. do they come and do the "milkround" there?
3) has a brand that will be recognised by recruiters if 2 isn't available

SkillsFutureScrub

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just curious. Would a private degree grad like be able to enroll for a local MBA (SMU/NTU/NUS) if I manage to score well for my GMAT and have good working testimonials from my company?

starbugg

Reaction score
Hi,

Just curious. Would a private degree grad like be able to enroll for a local MBA (SMU/NTU/NUS) if I manage to score well for my GMAT and have good working testimonials from my company?

Yes, provided you have at least 600 for GMAT and you write decently for essays and explain well how you can add diversity to the mba class and how mba adds value to you.

RalliFTO

Reaction score
I'm actually with a well established business school that offers a 12 months full-time MBA programme conducted in 2 campuses. Will be glad to share more through PM if anyone is interested.

SkillsFutureScrub

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes, provided you have at least 600 for GMAT and you write decently for essays and explain well how you can add diversity to the mba class and how mba adds value to you.

GMAT is somewhat similar to the American SAT right? 600 is the total score of the entire exam or different sections have their individual grade weightage tied to it and calculated accordingly?

Thank you.

-Regards

FuNkDeViL

Reaction score
I've just gotten the offer letter for the Ie-smu program and am highly likely going to enroll.

Anyone here going for the same program? Happy to take question relating to the enrollment too. :)

Hi Shingoz ! I am looking at this program too and I have few questions and hope to get someone who is enrolled in this course :

1. Do you take GMAT as part of the admission requirements ? As I have seen from the website, it actually accepts IE & SMU admission test instead of GMAT
2. What is the score u have achieved for GMAT or their in-house admission test
3. What is the average age of students and average working experience in your cohort
4. Why did u take up this MBA ? Are u looking for a career change or looking to move up the career ladder in your company ?

Thanks !

Shingoz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) I took the SMU entrance test. Can finish it in 1.5-2hr.... Essentially it's like 1/2 time, effort (and much lesser cost) of GMAT. Cons is that it can only be used for this program.

2) The test result is non-disclosed. But i think it's min 60th percentile requirement.

3) From what i gather it ranges from from 20+ to 40 (part time program tend to have older cohort)

4) More for progression. Wanted to build up my business, management and leadership skills to prepare the next 2/3 of my career.

Hi Shingoz ! I am looking at this program too and I have few questions and hope to get someone who is enrolled in this course :

1. Do you take GMAT as part of the admission requirements ? As I have seen from the website, it actually accepts IE & SMU admission test instead of GMAT
2. What is the score u have achieved for GMAT or their in-house admission test
3. What is the average age of students and average working experience in your cohort
4. Why did u take up this MBA ? Are u looking for a career change or looking to move up the career ladder in your company ?

Thanks !

aaronau522

Reaction score
Good MBA Programs in Singapore and Malaysia

Ranked in FT 2017 Global MBA Rankings
1 INSEAD
24 NTU Nanyang
26 NUS
30 Manchester
42 Lancaster (with Sunway University Malaysia)
70 Rutgers
80 Strathclyde (with YMCA)
95 Temple Uni Fox (with ERC Institute)
97 Birmingham (with SIM Global Education)

Unranked in FT 2017 but well-regarded Unis/Business schools
SMU
ESSEC Singapore
ASB (new b-school in collaboration with MIT Sloan and Bank Negara Malaysia)
Henley (University of Reading Malaysia campus) (60th Economist 2017)
Nottingham (with PSB Academy) (84th Economist 2017)
Aalto

I did not differentiate b/w EMBA as in this region employers might not care/know how to distinguish between the two. If it matters to you then you should check the FT EMBA 2017 ranking instead.
Let me know if I missed out any programs? :)

Last edited:

Shingoz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just had to comment 😂

Cos you missed out mine.... Ie-smu
Successful graduate can list either or both sch and can make use of both career services. IEs career services and faculties are excellent. Just experienced it when I was in Madrid.
Ranked in FT 2017 Global MBA Rankings
Let me know if I missed out any programs? :)

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
If MBA just for show (or cause your company asks for it), then doesn't matter where you go.

If MBA for career boost / career changer, then go big or go home.

Powwie

Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking of embarking on a master. May i know if contact hour is an important consideration when looking for a suitable programme? Thanks for the input.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.