New Professional Conversion Programmes for Data Analyst and Full Stack Software Developer

Brexiter

Reaction score
NUS-ISS and WDA will jointly introduce two new Professional Conversion Programmes (PCP) for Data Analyst and Full Stack Software Developer in response to growing interest from mid-career professionals looking to enter the ICT industry. As part of the ADAPT and GROW initiative, the PCPs aim to help mid-career Professionals, Managers and Executives (PMEs) to reskill with the necessary competencies and match them with employers. They will be rolled out in the last quarter of 2016.

Each PCP consists of bite-sized learning bootcamps, followed by on-the-job training. Participants of the PCP for Data Analyst can expect to complete the programme in five months, while the PCP for Full Stack Software Developer can be completed in six months.

http://news.nus.edu.sg/images/resou...ex_A_-_Professional_Conversion_Programmes.pdf

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looking at this page:
http://www.wda.gov.sg/content/wdawe...iatives/PCP-cyber-security-professionals.html

seems like, in order to be in this PCP programme, the person must 1st be hired, to work in the job that he/she is going to be trained for.

ya... the alternative is the individual can fork out his own money to attend the same course at 70% subsidy if Singaporean/PR, but it won't guarantee him a job.

The schools still seem to have some issues getting more employers on board for their previous PCP programmes (security , software developer , etc)..

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do u have the link to the 70% subsidy programme for the same course? Am interested in the cybersecurity course

ya... the alternative is the individual can fork out his own money to attend the same course at 70% subsidy if Singaporean/PR, but it won't guarantee him a job.

The schools still seem to have some issues getting more employers on board for their previous PCP programmes (security , software developer , etc)..

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do u have the link to the 70% subsidy programme for the same course? Am interested in the cybersecurity course

The cybersecurity course or PMP is conducted by COMAT:

http://www.itbmcomat.com.sg/Courses/NICFCyberSecurityProfessionalConversionProgramme(PCP).aspx

If you look at the roadmap, they are mainly all NICF blocks which can be separately attended here also which all have 70% WDA funding for individuals: http://www.itbmcomat.com.sg/Funding/NICF.aspx

You can email them for more details and help also, they are quite helpful. The cyber security PMP was supposedly launched in mid-April and that time I emailed them and they said they would send my resume to employers to see whether any of them would be interested but never received any calls at all. But COMAT did follow up a bit and send me details about 1-2 more IT career fairs. It was after I went to the talk by NTUC Learning Hub about their PMP (network engineer and software engineer) also that they said this initiative is still quite new so hard to find employers willing at the start since the employers have to fork out the extra school fees (even at 10% only it still adds up to a lot)

But NTUC Learning Hub also tried to push us to take up the course as individuals with 70% subsidy which is why I think the Cyber Security course should not be that different too.

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

http://www.itbmcomat.com.sg/Courses/NICFCyberSecurityProfessionalConversionProgramme(PCP).aspx

If you look at the roadmap, they are mainly all NICF blocks which can be separately attended here also which all have 70% WDA funding for individuals: http://www.itbmcomat.com.sg/Funding/NICF.aspx

You can email them for more details and help also, they are quite helpful. The cyber security PMP was supposedly launched in mid-April and that time I emailed them and they said they would send my resume to employers to see whether any of them would be interested but never received any calls at all. But COMAT did follow up a bit and send me details about 1-2 more IT career fairs. It was after I went to the talk by NTUC Learning Hub about their PMP (network engineer and software engineer) also that they said this initiative is still quite new so hard to find employers willing at the start since the employers have to fork out the extra school fees (even at 10% only it still adds up to a lot)

But NTUC Learning Hub also tried to push us to take up the course as individuals with 70% subsidy which is why I think the Cyber Security course should not be that different too.

Thank you for the information!

Am thinking if I should just ownself read up for CISSP. I am in IT, doing sys admin job (linux & windows).

Nipponho

Reaction score

Hi,one year has passed, may i know if you have been matched to an employer under the program? Could you share your experience if u don't mind? I just enrolled, now waiting.

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,one year has passed, may i know if you have been matched to an employer under the program? Could you share your experience if u don't mind? I just enrolled, now waiting.

No the consultant that time said would send my resume to prospective employers and if they decide to ask me for interview then they would call me.. but I got 0 calls at all

thisisnotme1212

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No the consultant that time said would send my resume to prospective employers and if they decide to ask me for interview then they would call me.. but I got 0 calls at all

chiu under the programme?
attended course paid the money after a year still unemployed?

Blue_donkey

Reaction score
NUS-ISS and WDA will jointly introduce two new Professional Conversion Programmes (PCP) for Data Analyst and Full Stack Software Developer in response to growing interest from mid-career professionals looking to enter the ICT industry. As part of the ADAPT and GROW initiative, the PCPs aim to help mid-career Professionals, Managers and Executives (PMEs) to reskill with the necessary competencies and match them with employers. They will be rolled out in the last quarter of 2016.

Each PCP consists of bite-sized learning bootcamps, followed by on-the-job training. Participants of the PCP for Data Analyst can expect to complete the programme in five months, while the PCP for Full Stack Software Developer can be completed in six months.

http://news.nus.edu.sg/images/resou...ex_A_-_Professional_Conversion_Programmes.pdf

Mumbai got millioms of graduates in com science

Why they wanna hire u?

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
chiu under the programme?
attended course paid the money after a year still unemployed?

no i never pay any money or attend the course..

I apply under "Place & Train" scheme, which means they will find employers for u.. then if employer decide to hire u , then work and study at the same time

I think is quite pointless if you go to the training provider and ask them to find employer for you, better if you go straight to some of the companies you know who are offering this -

e.g. https://www.jobstreet.com.sg/en/job/6012339, you can see at the end of the ad they put this :
Please note that the successful candidate will be appointed on a contract basis under the Cyber Security Associates and Technologists (CSAT) Programme. For more information, please visit: https://www.csa.gov.sg/programmes/csat

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My current company though recently hired someone in the 30s under the software development PCP program..

although he got background knowledge in programming, it was more than 10 years ago

but the problem is he started work then have to wait like 2 more months before the course start.. so basically now is OJT and colleagues teaching him..

but so far he is CMI.. doesnt even know how to Google.. so can see why this initiative is not very popular.. (government have tried to give a lot of funding for first year to encourage employer to take it up) employers might as well hire fresh grads

Nipponho

Reaction score
My current company though recently hired someone in the 30s under the software development PCP program..

although he got background knowledge in programming, it was more than 10 years ago

but the problem is he started work then have to wait like 2 more months before the course start.. so basically now is OJT and colleagues teaching him..

but so far he is CMI.. doesnt even know how to Google.. so can see why this initiative is not very popular.. (government have tried to give a lot of funding for first year to encourage employer to take it up) employers might as well hire fresh grads
After understanding more about the program, discerning hype from facts, I now know why the success rate of this program is so low.

The so called subsidy comes in the form of wage subsidy and training subsidy. Government will pay bulk of the training fee, eg. 70% while employer will pay something like 30%. Wage subsidy means government will reimburse company ONLY for days when employee goes for training. For eample if the training is one week in a month, means employee is absent for 5 days, company will receive wages ONLY for that 5 days, not the whole month.

From employers point of view, I hire a person with zero experience with Sg level wages, still got to pay for course fee and tolerate absenteeism, plus give on job traing. There is a better alternative. Hire from india or indonesia. Cheaperer, betterer, no need to pay course fee, no absenteeism. They can hire unlimited numbers as long as it falls under employment pass and not work permit or S pass.

The companies that enrol for this program are those that government rejects their employment pass applications for some reasons, and they have no choice but to hire singaporeans as last resort, so they enrol in this program reluctantly.

ExtremeWays

Banned
Reaction score
After understanding more about the program, discerning hype from facts, I now know why the success rate of this program is so low.

The so called subsidy comes in the form of wage subsidy and training subsidy. Government will pay bulk of the training fee, eg. 70% while employer will pay something like 30%. Wage subsidy means government will reimburse company ONLY for days when employee goes for training. For eample if the training is one week in a month, means employee is absent for 5 days, company will receive wages ONLY for that 5 days, not the whole month.

From employers point of view, I hire a person with zero experience with Sg level wages, still got to pay for course fee and tolerate absenteeism, plus give on job traing. There is a better alternative. Hire from india or indonesia. Cheaperer, betterer, no need to pay course fee, no absenteeism. They can hire unlimited numbers as long as it falls under employment pass and not work permit or S pass.

The companies that enrol for this program are those that government rejects their employment pass applications for some reasons, and they have no choice but to hire singaporeans as last resort, so they enrol in this program reluctantly.

If the person has good attitude for learning, why not teach a sinkie instead of hiring **** or pinoy?????

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

No that's not true. it's for the whole month:

•Up to 70% of the Singapore Citizen (SC) /Permanent Resident (PR) trainees trainee’s monthly salary, capped at $4,000 (excl. GST) per trainee per month, for the duration of the programme.
•Up to 90%* of the Singapore Citizen (SC) trainee’s monthly salary, capped at $6,000 (excl. GST) per trainee per month, for the programme duration.

But the thing is, gahmen's money IS NOT EASY to claim. The course provider who recommended the candidate to my company did not say about all these things in detail beforehand -

the company is the one who has to come up with a training plan for the candidate. They have to write like what is the person going to learn every month, and the objectives at the end of the course, and so on. TLDR, it's leh ceh as fk

They don't even need to hire FTs. Just fresh grads will do. At least fresh grads have SOME knowledge in that field, compared to someone in this program with ZERO knowledge, plus fresh grads are definitely cheaper than people in this programme too. Without the wage subsidy, no sane employers will be willing to take up this offer.

You're right in a way - my company only looked at this because the senior colleague was unable to hire a programmer. He looked for experienced people at first, then fresh grads, then fresh grads from Malaysia/overseas, then in the end tried this option out.

Last edited:

Nipponho

Reaction score
If the person has good attitude for learning, why not teach a sinkie instead of hiring **** or pinoy?????
You didn't get the actual picture right. What you say is very reasonable, but from their point of view, why must they go through all the trouble plus pay more when they can take the easy way out by hiring **** and pinoy?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.