Back from South island New Zealand

sendtolee

Reaction score
3 pax and will be driving a station wagon for 14 days. As to how much driving, it's a bit hard to say, since we will be staying 2-3 nights in one area. Probably 1800km in total route covered?

Food is expensive in NZ. Per pax is $20-30 per meal. Cooking is cheaper.

Station wagon is a petrol guzzler, 8-10km/liter.

DiCaprio

Reaction score
A big thank you to those who shared their itinerary and accom choices! :) My pretty packed 13D12N. Hopefully it'll be manageable in early-mid Dec with >12 hours of daylight. Feel free to give ideas/comment.

Day/Night 1: CHC
Day/Night 2: CHC
Day/Night 3: Inland Scenic Route/Lake Tekapo.
Day/Night 4: Mount Cook/Lake Tekapo.
Day/Night 5: Pass by Wanaka & Arrowhead/Queenstown
Day/Night 6: 2D1N Milford Sound (Realjourneys)
Day/Night 7: Gondola+Dinner @ Bob's Peak/Queenstown
Day/Night 8: Glenorchy/Wanaka
Day/Night 9: Wanaka/Fox Glacier
Day/Night 10: Fox Glacier Heli Hike/Fox Glacier
Day/Night 11: Drive to Arthur's Pass/Arthur's Pass
Day/Night 12: Drive to CHC/CHC
Day/Night 13: Homebound

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A big thank you to those who shared their itinerary and accom choices! :) My pretty packed 13D12N. Hopefully it'll be manageable in early-mid Dec with >12 hours of daylight. Feel free to give ideas/comment.

My itinerary almost exactly same as urs!
U doing overnight cruise for milford sound?

hawkwind

Master Member
Reaction score

Not sure what you plan to do in CHC but I didn't find it worthwhile stay there any longer than to recover from flight time and transit. Better to spend time elsewhere.

DiCaprio

Reaction score
Not sure what you plan to do in CHC but I didn't find it worthwhile stay there any longer than to recover from flight time and transit. Better to spend time elsewhere.
Thanks for the heads up! Yes my first night is mainly to recover, second day was unwillingly budgeted in case of last minute changes to my flight schedule haha. Might take a drive out of CHC if boredom kills.

Sent from Huawei Nexus 6P using GAGT

Last edited:

yxerin

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! Yes my first night is mainly to recover, second day was unwillingly budgeted in case of last minute changes to my flight schedule haha. Might take a drive out of CHC if boredom kills.

If you really have to budget a second day in CHC, why not budget just the morning of the second day? Then start driving to Tekapo in the afternoon. You "gain" a day this day. Suggest spending more time in queenstown/wanaka with this extra day.

You also don't need one full day to drive from Arthur's Pass to CHC. It's just a 2-3 hours drive...suggest catering one extra day on the West Coast if you are really keen on heli hiking. That extra day buffer will come in useful if your heli hike is cancelled on the day itself due to unfavourable weather.

DiCaprio

Reaction score
If you really have to budget a second day in CHC, why not budget just the morning of the second day? Then start driving to Tekapo in the afternoon. You "gain" a day this day. Suggest spending more time in queenstown/wanaka with this extra day.

You also don't need one full day to drive from Arthur's Pass to CHC. It's just a 2-3 hours drive...suggest catering one extra day on the West Coast if you are really keen on heli hiking. That extra day buffer will come in useful if your heli hike is cancelled on the day itself due to unfavourable weather.
Thanks for the recommendations! Will relook and reconsider surely. Cheers

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The milford sound trip from Queenstown and back for early Dec is almost 200 per pax sia. Damn expensive.

Unlike what u all mentioned as 80. Probably off peak season.

Like that drive better? Along the way still can stop. Go from Queenstown to te anau then to Milford. Can stay over at te anau at night then go Milford in the morning. Like that better?

if reach Milford earlier, can beat the tourist buses. would it be better also?

Last edited:

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the cruise itself is around 100 per person depending on the company...

once u have top up full tank before, know how much ur car can run on full tank and assess accordingly based on distance between milford sound and queenstown... then you think about it again

of cuz drive urself has its perks, can stop anywhere and for as long as u like... the buses do also stop at various common photo spots along the way but of cuz u wont have the flexibility to take ur time...

jus that doing the coach+cruise option from queenstown may be more economically frenly and less of the effort for driving...

u have to assess and ownself decide... both got pros n cons...

hawkwind

Master Member
Reaction score
The milford sound trip from Queenstown and back for early Dec is almost 200 per pax sia. Damn expensive.

Unlike what u all mentioned as 80. Probably off peak season.

Like that drive better? Along the way still can stop. Go from Queenstown to te anau then to Milford. Can stay over at te anau at night then go Milford in the morning. Like that better?

if reach Milford earlier, can beat the tourist buses. would it be better also?

You can also chose to stay at the lodge at Milford Sound itself. It's quite small and basic and also without wifi. But it allows more time if you want to take some short walks like Key Point. Milford Sound at night is also very peaceful and offers a different experience from towns like Te Anau.

DiCaprio

Reaction score
I found that day trip from Queenstown to Milford Sound abit bohua.. about 8 plus hours on the coach, 4 plus hours on the cruise/at Milford Sound. Which is why I decided to do the overnight cruise, in return to save on lodging, car rental, gasoline, food for two days.

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the cruise itself is around 100 per person depending on the company...

once u have top up full tank before, know how much ur car can run on full tank and assess accordingly based on distance between milford sound and queenstown... then you think about it again

of cuz drive urself has its perks, can stop anywhere and for as long as u like... the buses do also stop at various common photo spots along the way but of cuz u wont have the flexibility to take ur time...

jus that doing the coach+cruise option from queenstown may be more economically frenly and less of the effort for driving...

u have to assess and ownself decide... both got pros n cons...

I found that day trip from Queenstown to Milford Sound abit bohua.. about 8 plus hours on the coach, 4 plus hours on the cruise/at Milford Sound. Which is why I decided to do the overnight cruise, in return to save on lodging, car rental, gasoline, food for two days.

yeah, understand both has its pro and cons. is the cruise very worth it?
considering it's about 200 per pax, then have to consider also.

summer really all price go up alot.

overnight isn't cheap also, but might be better also. if you consider the lodging and all. maybe added up all also about the same. but where do you park your car, and put all your stuff if you go overnight cruise? leave all your stuff on car, and take essential?

how is it gg to be like?

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can also chose to stay at the lodge at Milford Sound itself. It's quite small and basic and also without wifi. But it allows more time if you want to take some short walks like Key Point. Milford Sound at night is also very peaceful and offers a different experience from towns like Te Anau.

okay, not a bad idea too. any specific lodge to recommend?

DiCaprio

Reaction score
yeah, understand both has its pro and cons. is the cruise very worth it?
considering it's about 200 per pax, then have to consider also.

summer really all price go up alot.

overnight isn't cheap also, but might be better also. if you consider the lodging and all. maybe added up all also about the same. but where do you park your car, and put all your stuff if you go overnight cruise? leave all your stuff on car, and take essential?

how is it gg to be like?
I will be returning the car for 2 days, checking out of the motel for 1 night. Depositing luggage with motel. Bring essentials for the 2D1N, check in to the motel again next day afternoon. Cost wise I think the overnight cruise all in all will cost a bit more, but it'll give me the time to just really relax, take a break from driving and be close to nature 24/7

ineser

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not bad. Go orange not crowded. Whole journey took 10 hours back/forth Queenstown

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.