Secure your Router - DIR-868L

curo

Master Member
Reaction score
there is a firmware 1.12 on dlink international website. Can use that or just remain at 1.09?

Aguero_kun

Reaction score
Just updated my firmware to the 1.09SHC. However my internet connection has slowed down a lot. What are the ways to troubleshoot? Any optimal router settings that I should look out for? Since my settings were wiped to the default ones during the update

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just updated my firmware to the 1.09SHC. However my internet connection has slowed down a lot. What are the ways to troubleshoot? Any optimal router settings that I should look out for? Since my settings were wiped to the default ones during the update

on wifi or lan? what are the numbers, before and after?
how is it tested?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After updated the firmware do factory reset the router.
While router is on, use a pin to push+hold into the reset hole, under the router, for 10 seconds and power off the router.
The ONT is also power off.
Then power on both ONT & Router.

If you want to do router settings, the login password will be the same as the router label sticker.

revogsx

Reaction score

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score

Pls quantify. From how many mbps to how many mbps ? Wired or Wireless ?

almost all my dlink gadgets are listed there. 😂😄.
But good to know they acknowledged it and working a firmware fix (only when is the release ??)

hope they include a repeater bug in 868L wherein the mac address is not properly passed to main router.

Which repeater bug are you referring to ? Any source ?

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
This is not a repeater bug.
Any brand of repeater/extender you use, will encounter this issue.

Reasons:
Client Bridge mode will only recognize one mac address on the bridged setup, due a limitation in the 802.11 protocol, even if there are multiple clients (with multiple mac addresses) connected to the client router. If you want to bridge a full LAN you must use WDS. The problem is that the 802.11 protocol just supports one MAC address, but in a LAN there is the possibility for more than one MAC address. It may cause ARP table problems, if you connect more than one computer on the far end of a Client Bridge mode setup. You will not be able to, for example, block mac addresses of client of the bridged routers or set access restrictions based on mac addresses in the bridged router

Source : https://blog.flameeyes.eu/2011/12/the-problem-with-wireless-bridging/

Last edited:

revogsx

Reaction score
My el-cheapo Tplink wireless repeater and Asus ea-n66 repeater will always pass the original MAC address.

However, dlink have messed it.
It is 868L repeater bug because main router will not be able assign my preferred DHCP reservation:

e.g
Main Router 885L ssid = "Myhome"
868L repeater ssid = "Myhome"

All client connected to 868L repeater will have it's own virtual MAC address.

Example use case issue are:
FTP server and IP camera can connect to either of them. If they connect to 868L, then is problem.

Also, DHCP reservation only allows 1 IP use only.

This is not a repeater bug.
Any brand of repeater/extender you use, will encounter this issue.

Last edited:

revogsx

Reaction score
dir-885L is already on latest firmware 1.13

not logical to make the expensive router $280 885L as repeater and put the $60 868L as main router 😄

885L is actually great as main router because it can handle mutiple client with less network lag.

Why don't update router dir-885l to latest firmware to see if it's help.
Alternately use 885l as wireless repeater instead.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
My el-cheapo Tplink wireless repeater and Asus ea-n66 repeater will always pass the original MAC address.

However, dlink have messed it.
It is 868L repeater bug because main router will not be able assign my preferred DHCP reservation:

e.g
Main Router 885L ssid = "Myhome"
868L repeater ssid = "Myhome"

All client connected to 868L repeater will have it's own virtual MAC address.

Example use case issue are:
FTP server and IP camera can connect to either of them. If they connect to 868L, then is problem.

Also, DHCP reservation only allows 1 IP use only.
Can share how you setup with the tp-link/asus ea-n66. As far as i have search the internet ubiquiti/tplink/linksys/netgear all have this issue as long as you are repeating the wifi signal

Sent from Samsung SM-G930F using GAGT

revogsx

Reaction score
Can share how you setup with the tp-link/asus ea-n66. As far as i have search the internet ubiquiti/tplink/linksys/netgear all have this issue as long as you are repeating the wifi signal

Sent from Samsung SM-G930F using GAGT

House#1
DIR-885L A1 firmware 1.13 (main router)
--> dlink DIR-868L A1 1.09shc (wireless repeater on 5ghz). This router assigns virtual MAC address and can be seen in 885L client list and fing ios app. One thing is weird is that the correct MAC address is show if I run the fing.exe in windows pc. Not sure if is bug in 885€ or 868L.

--> tplink TL-WR741ND v4 (wireless repeater 2.4ghz 11n). The WDS is checked, but I don't think the 885L support it. No Virtual MAC address from this tplink

EDIT 2017-Dec: Updated 868L to dd-wrt v30432. Setup to repeater bridge. The original MAC address are shown on main router.

House#2
DIR-868L A1 1.09shc (main router)
--> asus ea-n66 firmware 1019c (wireless repeater on 5ghz 11n). No special settings, just enter the main ssid and the repeater ssid. I don't see any virtual MAC address created by n66.

Last edited:

ah_cleo

Master Member
Reaction score
saw got wireless bridge. can anyone confirmed?

can buy 1 to try try if really got wireless bridge

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.