[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC86U

Simpsonskh

Reaction score
Finally, this model hv released the firmware to solve KRACK:). Mayb the first in the Asus router?;)

segafan

Reaction score
Hey y'all! I'm a new member of this club lol.

Just got this router at the recent CEF at Suntec, S$299. Thought that pricing will be gone so I faster bought it.

Anyway, on first boot, the router auto update to the latest FW. The LED light for my WAN is red in colour since then... Is this normal for you guys? I got full internet and all but just that this particular light is red. Others all in white. Rebooted, unplugged power and internet plug - still same results. Hope I'm not the only one..?

Connection is to router is direct from Huawei modem (M1). Hmm.....

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Just got this router at the recent CEF at Suntec, S$299. Thought that pricing will be gone so I faster bought it.

Anyway, on first boot, the router auto update to the latest FW. The LED light for my WAN is red in colour since then... Is this normal for you guys? I got full internet and all but just that this particular light is red. Others all in white. Rebooted, unplugged power and internet plug - still same results. Hope I'm not the only one..?

Think is the bug in the latest F/W, if working as fine just ignore it. Wait for next firmware to see if it's fixed. :)

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Did you do a factory reset after the update ?

finalforce

Reaction score
I had this bug too. I pressed the led button behind the router a few times then it was back to normal

segafan

Reaction score
kashix::
Agreed.

xonix::
Hmm... I don't think I want to resort to that. Worst case is factory reset then the red light still there.. Then have to redo all settings lol!

finalforce::
Thanks for the tip!! This works for me! :)

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
kashix::
Agreed.

xonix::
Hmm... I don't think I want to resort to that. Worst case is factory reset then the red light still there.. Then have to redo all settings lol!

finalforce::
Thanks for the tip!! This works for me! :)

That's what the save and restore settings function is for ;)

asus-rt-ac68u-settings-min.png

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's what the save and restore settings function is for ;)

asus-rt-ac68u-settings-min.png

How’s ur experience with this router so far? Feel like hooting 1 to play ~ :s13: 1 thing for sure is this router is fast AF

hanz170

Reaction score
I have the 87U router and it has caused me many problems, the reviews here are more like target marketing than really make any good comparisons.

I found a website that pits this "newer better" model to the older model and found it is not much better at all. Waste of money looking at the Wireless strength. I don't trust so called reviewers here, eversince the 87U bs router.

QA1AgBV.jpg

BkTWThd.jpg

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have the 87U router and it has caused me many problems, the reviews here are more like target marketing than really make any good comparisons.

I found a website that pits this "newer better" model to the older model and found it is not much better at all. Waste of money looking at the Wireless strength. I don't trust so called reviewers here, eversince the 87U bs router.

[ img]https://i.imgur.com/QA1AgBV.jpg[/img]

[ img]https://i.imgur.com/BkTWThd.jpg[/img]

Reviews are IMO for reference only, you can't really take it word for word. Besides, every one has a different setup or layout, you will not get the same results.

hanz170

Reaction score
Reviews are IMO for reference only, you can't really take it word for word. Besides, every one has a different setup or layout, you will not get the same results.

That's absolutely true, however you just need to Google ASUS 5GHz issues and it will pop-up like wildfires.

hanz170

Reaction score
87U was problematic hence EOL-ed already.

Precisely, people unknowingly read this type of reviews are being blind-sided, in fact I think the 87U should not have been a product, we are being used as guinea pigs to test out and give feedback on bugs and still these bugs were never truly resolved, pay money to get bs product.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Personally I only had the AC87U for a few months than I passed on to my relative. Maybe my usage is not intensive, I never ran into major issues with 5 Ghz on it. And I don't hear anything from my relative so I believe they also not having problems with it.

hanz170

Reaction score
Personally I only had the AC87U for a few months than I passed on to my relative. Maybe my usage is not intensive, I never ran into major issues with 5 Ghz on it. And I don't hear anything from my relative so I believe they also not having problems with it.

I saw you had visited this thread as well, it is approaching close to 400 posts and many have the 5GHz issues, I am not the only odd incident.

Anyway, I will not fork out any more money to give to ASUS, one-time bad reputation is enough to irk me.

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Precisely, people unknowingly read this type of reviews are being blind-sided, in fact I think the 87U should not have been a product, we are being used as guinea pigs to test out and give feedback on bugs and still these bugs were never truly resolved, pay money to get bs product.

But the problem is, you’re bringing 87U’s issues into 86U’s thread. 86U afaik very stable and fast. This is not review, this is just sharing experience about the product. You buy 87U you never do research? That’s why I skip 87U, just buy 88U straight from my 68U. Treat it as buying a experience? Next time research before you commit? No point to get angry la, some ppl I known personally were praising the 87U for good performance also, also never see they have problems with the product.

I saw you had visited this thread as well, it is approaching close to 400 posts and many have the 5GHz issues, I am not the only odd incident.

Anyway, I will not fork out any more money to give to ASUS, one-time bad reputation is enough to irk me.

Buy something that you think is worth your $. You think asus is bad? Wait till you try other brands lol :s22:

hanz170

Reaction score
But the problem is, you’re bringing 87U’s issues into 86U’s thread. 86U afaik very stable and fast. This is not review, this is just sharing experience about the product. You buy 87U you never do research? That’s why I skip 87U, just buy 88U straight from my 68U. Treat it as buying a experience? Next time research before you commit? No point to get angry la, some ppl I known personally were praising the 87U for good performance also, also never see they have problems with the product.

Just pointing out that this product is so new and yet so many singing praises?? take plenty load of salt with this.. I bought the 87U when it first came out, I guess you can say it is buying experience, not angry just want to highlight to those unknowing people reading so many praises about this new product to be wary and check out the many issues facing 5GHz, try check out other website reviews first don't trust just on someone here say so.

Buy something that you think is worth your $. You think asus is bad? Wait till you try other brands lol :s22:

LOL really?? I am trying other products :s13:

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just pointing out that this product is so new and yet so many singing praises?? take plenty load of salt with this.. I bought the 87U when it first came out, I guess you can say it is buying experience, not angry just want to highlight to those unknowing people reading so many praises about this new product to be wary and check out the many issues facing 5GHz, try check out other website reviews first don't trust just on someone here say so.

LOL really?? I am trying other products :s13:

But the problem is this product is not like 87U. Don’t anyhow spread wrong info, if it’s 87U, you go 87U thread thank you ;)

It’s just like I buy S7 say S7 lag then I go Note 8 forum say because just because s7 lag, note 8 also laggy. Doesn’t make sense right haha

Last edited:

hanz170

Reaction score
But the problem is this product is not like 87U. Don’t anyhow spread wrong info, if it’s 87U, you go 87U thread thank you ;)

Its not meant to spread wrong info.. it is creating awareness, it is new product and NOT fully tested to really know what's in it for unsuspecting consumers. Bad products have known to be sold for buyers need to beware. There are many known 5GHz issues.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.