RESMED for sleep apnea? Any comments?

offboater

Reaction score
1st Time CPAP Machine User

Hi All

I registered an acct on the Forum after having been diagnosed by the ENT Doc with OSA and AHI of 71......

Just got my CPAP (costly) Machine. The counts dropped to 4.

Would like to ask season users here whether the coming Black Friday Sales would be an event we should not miss on the accessories and parhaps a back up machine....

Hope to hear from you guys.

Thanks!

DChng1971

Reaction score
I have been using CPAP machine for about 10yrs. ResMed S7 and the new Airsense 10.
There is no need for backup. I change to the Airsense 10 recently due to new company that allow 100% claim upto 2k.
Buying small value item is not worth the shipping and trouble to get HSA permit.

offboater

Reaction score
Hi Chng

Many thks for the post.

I am covered by insurance as well. I thot the purchase of the CPAP machine was a one-off? I bought the APEX XT Auto as I am often on the road - 60% of the time. I am planning to get the S10 for a base (after reading this thread) on Black Friday.....

Probably need to check with my agent.

Regards!

Danny

Last edited:

DChng1971

Reaction score
I claim under company medical insurance. Upto 2k per policy yr. I always read my benefits in depth.

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In most cases, if there is something that you need to get, then it doesn't hurt to wait the next two weeks for Black Friday to see if the item you're planning to get will go on sale. But on the whole, I feel that the savings from that will not be very substantial, especially when compared to the savings from importing vs buying locally (~40%).

The savings really comes from buying and importing CPAP machines and masks (compared to buying locally). When you do so, you can add accessories to your order (tubes, filters, etc) to ship together, and you're still ahead. However, if you only need these simple accessories (ie: you're *not* getting a new machine or mask), you would generally be better off getting them from ebay instead.

A CPAP machine is not a one-off purchase. You should expect about 4-6 years of service from one, before you might need to replace it.

Do you need a backup machine? Considering it takes less than a week to get a new one if you purchase online, I don't really think so.

I too have to travel quite frequently, and have an S10 Autoset at home (had an S9 Autoset before that), and a Transcend Auto for travel/outfield use. Whether or not you need (or just want?) a second machine really depends on your specific circumstances (and how much extra cash you have in your wallet to toss around).

What I *do* highly recommend is, if you don't have a full face mask, and are currently using pillows or a nasal mask, to get one. You'll need it to continue your therapy if you're ever ill and have a congested nose.

You should also check with your insurer if you would be able to claim reimbursement if you purchase overseas and import it; although I'm not entirely sure why you would want to do so - if you're getting reimbursed, buying locally will ensure you have support and warranty service should you require it. Most of us import because it saves us money instead. I'm not so sure I would put in that much effort to wait for a sale, and jump though the various hoops to import a unit to help my insurer save money if I had one (and risk not getting reimbursed if it does not qualify...)

camotorpedo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am an active side sleeper and my mouth open at times at night causing air to leak. Full face mask did not work for me as it tends to leak and I feel bloated in the morning (air pumped in from the mouth), so I'm using a chin strap with nasal mask.

Still getting some air leak issues. would you guys have a nasal or pillow mask to reccommend for active side sleeper? and also a good comfortable chin strap. Thanks in advance

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did you purchase your mask and CPAP from a local retailer? If so, they should be able to advise and help you with fitting.

If you're on your own, the first recommendation would usually be to make *small* adjustments to your mask over a period of time, and see if you can resolve the leaks. It can take some trial and error to get it right.

I've found the 'ruby-style' chinstraps stay on better. I've also tried the 'o-ring' style straps, but it kept getting dislodged at night.

camotorpedo

Reaction score
Did you purchase your mask and CPAP from a local retailer? If so, they should be able to advise and help you with fitting.

If you're on your own, the first recommendation would usually be to make *small* adjustments to your mask over a period of time, and see if you can resolve the leaks. It can take some trial and error to get it right.

I've found the 'ruby-style' chinstraps stay on better. I've also tried the 'o-ring' style straps, but it kept getting dislodged at night.

Nope, i got it from 1800cpap using the kind guidance here. Currently using the Resmed N20 nasal mask, which works until I move around. Hoping for mpre active sidesleepers to share their favourite masks. Am also considering nasal pillows ...

Seri02

Reaction score
Hi, should i also wash the climateline tubing? I washed the short tubing and other accessories but dunno if the climateline tubing (heated) can be washed or not.

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, should i also wash the climateline tubing? I washed the short tubing and other accessories but dunno if the climateline tubing (heated) can be washed or not.

Yes, you should wash your mask daily, and your tubes weekly. Just run water though it, and hang it up to dry. There is no need to use a brush (they'll damage the tubes instead).

Seri02

Reaction score
thank you. did that this morning and air dry all . will try to use tonight. Was afraid washing will spoil the heated function..

QUOTE=dreant;111545749]Yes, you should wash your mask daily, and your tubes weekly. Just run water though it, and hang it up to dry. There is no need to use a brush (they'll damage the tubes instead).[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

glidingqy

Reaction score
Was looking through some of the replies, you guys get accessories through 1800cpap. Are they reliable?

I'm looking to get a tube and some replacement masks for the S9

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hoping for mpre active sidesleepers to share their favourite masks. Am also considering nasal pillows ...

Side sleeper myself, best mask that works for me so far is the Resmed P10; and I've used a number of different masks over the years (look though the older posts on this thread for more details).

I recommend getting the P10 for her instead, because it comes with XS, S, M pillows instead, which I feel are a better fit for most Asian faces. I can use XS and S pillows myself, and will trade for either with anyone who wants M or L pillows (new and unused).

With daily use, I've found I needed to replace the headgear after about 8-9 months.

Was looking through some of the replies, you guys get accessories through 1800cpap. Are they reliable?

I'm looking to get a tube and some replacement masks for the S9

I've bought from them twice before. Items arrived within a week. Make sure you have a CPAP prescription from your doctor before you do so, because you'll need it to purchase and import it here.

Search this thread for a 10% discount code.

The ResMed Airsense 10 for Her is currently only USD584 (USD602 if you get it with climateline) with the code, and seems like a really good price if you're looking for a new CPAP unit. I have one, and am pretty happy with it. I also recommend the 'for her' Airsense Autoset, because it has one additional algorithm that the regular (black color) Airsense Autoset does not have, and it's usually sold at the same price (or slightly more).

Last edited:

spencert

Reaction score
Nope, i got it from 1800cpap using the kind guidance here. Currently using the Resmed N20 nasal mask, which works until I move around. Hoping for mpre active sidesleepers to share their favourite masks. Am also considering nasal pillows ...

Hi Camotorpedo, you can look at Resmed P10 Nasal Pillow, Phillips Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow and Dreamwear with Gel Pillow.

glidingqy

Reaction score
I've bought from them twice before. Items arrived within a week. Make sure you have a CPAP prescription from your doctor before you do so, because you'll need it to purchase and import it here.

Search this thread for a 10% discount code.

The ResMed Airsense 10 for Her is currently only USD584 (USD602 if you get it with climateline) with the code, and seems like a really good price if you're looking for a new CPAP unit. I have one, and am pretty happy with it. I also recommend the 'for her' Airsense Autoset, because it has one additional algorithm that the regular (black color) Airsense Autoset does not have, and it's usually sold at the same price (or slightly more).

Thanks for the information!

Will go ahead and get some stuff from them :D

glidingqy

Reaction score
Anyone else got this error while trying to buy from CPAP?

"In compliance with policies as set by the manufacturers, ResMed, Philips Respironics and Inogen products may not be shipped to an address outside of the United States."

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone else got this error while trying to buy from CPAP?

"In compliance with policies as set by the manufacturers, ResMed, Philips Respironics and Inogen products may not be shipped to an address outside of the United States."

CPAP.com has always had that restriction. They also won't ship to known forwarders.
Look though this thread, there are other online retailers who will ship to SG.

Protip: Some sites will price match significant purchases (machines/masks) with other major online retailers. Doesn't hurt to live chat with someone on a site that will ship to SG and ask, if you see a better price at a site that won't.

Last edited:

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
CPAP.com has always had that restriction. They also won't ship to known forwarders.
Look though this thread, there are other online retailers who will ship to SG.

Protip: Some sites will price match significant purchases (machines/masks) with other major online retailers. Doesn't hurt to live chat with someone on a site that will ship to SG and ask, if you see a better price at a site that won't.
Buy from 1800cpap wun have this problem. But u need to use their shipper to ship directly to you. U cannot use freight forwarders cos they will ask for a detailed prescription if ship within US.

They dun accept the ones from our SG doc as it's not detailed enuf. It's crap I know. US doc prescription got include the min/max pressure, typed of mask, is humidifier required etc. Our doc dun go into that detailed. I asked my sleep doc and he also curious y I need so much details in the prescription, which he cannot give unless I spend more $$$ to do the tests

Last edited:

liemsc

Reaction score
My Resmed Airsense 10 shows the following replacement schedule:
- Every month: mask cushion or pillow, air filters
- Every 3 months: mask frame (excludes headgear), air tubing
- Every 6 months: headgear, water tub

I wonder if the mask pillow really has to be changed every month?

Been using my Airsense 10 with Airfit P10 for about half a year now.. and still using all the parts from the beginning (except for filter changed a few times, and pillow changed once for a smaller size). Other than that, I wonder why do we need to change the parts as per the schedule above ? I feel like everything is working fine and not necessary to replace anything :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.