Tokyo + Hokkaido trip in Feb 2018

thwysg

Reaction score
Sharing my itinerary to those who might be keen. Not a cheap trip due to some of the lodgings we have reserved.

Main aim to see winter festivals and hopefully a little wildlife in Hokkaido with the mister.

Flights: SIA ($653 per pax)
Pass: 14D JR Pass

D1 - Kawaguchiko (2 festivals)
D2-3 - Yokohama (2 illumination events)
D4-7 - Tokyo (2 illumination events)
D8-9 - Toyako Onsen (1 festival)
D10-13 - Sapporo (3 festivals)
D14-15 - Asahikawa (1 festival)
D16-17 - Obihiro (1 festival)
D18-19 - Hakodate (1 illumination event)
D20-21 - Tokyo

concreteman

Reaction score
just to check are you driving in hokkaido ? thats some distance between the towns u are going

thwysg

Reaction score
wow so many places, spend how much ah?

I don’t know how much yet, only lodging and airfare are settled. But am looking forward to the trip in Hokkaido. Supposed to visit the snow festivals this year but ended up to be a solo trip since the mister had work.

Some of the more expensive lodging we would be staying at -
1. Lake View Toya Nonokaze Resort (~¥90,000 for 2N)
2. Ubuya Kozantei (~¥62,000 for 1N)
3. Keio Plaza Tokyo (~¥150,000 for 4N)

thwysg

Reaction score
Two more weeks to go. Some changes. Hopefully good weather throughout and not overkill on festivals.

D1 - Kawaguchiko (2 festivals)
D2-3 - Yokohama (2 illumination events)
D4-7 - Tokyo (2 illumination events + 1 flower festival)
D8-9 - Toyako Onsen (1 festival + 1 illumination event)
D10-13 - Sapporo (3 festivals)
D14-15 - Asahikawa (2 festivals)
D16-17 - Obihiro (1 festival)
D18-19 - Hakodate (1 illumination event)
D20-21 - Tokyo (1 flower festival)

thwysg

Reaction score
February should be plum festival...? at Koishikawa Korakuen? Hanegi Park?

Can be plum blossoms, camillia or sakura. Either Atami Baien, Soga Bessho Bairin for plum, Miurakaigan or Itogawa or Kawazu for sakura, camillia in Oshima.

Last edited:

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
Is lake Shikotsu winter Illumination with weekend fireworks display part of your itinerary for Sapporo?

thwysg

Reaction score
Is lake Shikotsu winter Illumination with weekend fireworks display part of your itinerary for Sapporo?

Won’t be able to make it to see fireworks for Lake Shikotsu Ice Festival. It’s only on weekends. I’m going during weekdays.

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
I'll be heading there as well, so am checking on various transport options. Are you going to take a direct return bus from Sapporo or from chitose station?

Won’t be able to make it to see fireworks for Lake Shikotsu Ice Festival. It’s only on weekends. I’m going during weekdays.

thwysg

Reaction score
I'll be heading there as well, so am checking on various transport options. Are you going to take a direct return bus from Sapporo or from chitose station?

Should be one of the sightseeing buses direct from Sapporo. ¥4,000 if it’s 1hr 25min stay at Lake Shikotsu. ¥4,300 if it’s 2hr stay. If you’re going on a weekday via public transport, you need to catch the last bus before 6pm. Won’t be that rush if you took the sightseeing bus.

Depends on weather too. I might drop this and stay in Sapporo and walk around instead since I’ve got another 2 ice festivals on my itinerary.

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Enjoy your trip!

Cheers

Should be one of the sightseeing buses direct from Sapporo. ¥4,000 if it’s 1hr 25min stay at Lake Shikotsu. ¥4,300 if it’s 2hr stay. If you’re going on a weekday via public transport, you need to catch the last bus before 6pm. Won’t be that rush if you took the sightseeing bus.

Depends on weather too. I might drop this and stay in Sapporo and walk around instead since I’ve got another 2 ice festivals on my itinerary.

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi. I will be at hokkaido from 9 feb to 15 feb. First 2 nights staying at asahikawa and the rest of the duration is staying at sapporo from 11 to 15 feb. U mentioned u have 3 festivals at sapporo. What does it mean? 3 different snow festivals at different places?

thwysg

Reaction score
Hi. I will be at hokkaido from 9 feb to 15 feb. First 2 nights staying at asahikawa and the rest of the duration is staying at sapporo from 11 to 15 feb. U mentioned u have 3 festivals at sapporo. What does it mean? 3 different snow festivals at different places?

Yes.
Sapporo - Sapporo Snow Festival
Asahikawa - Asahikawa Winter Festival
Otaru - Otaru Snow Light Path Festival
Lake Shikotsu - Shikotsuko Ice Festival

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
best wildlife winter experience i had in hokkdaido is Shiretoko

have a enjoyable feb winter experience while u can :)

thwysg

Reaction score

There's another one to add on - Sounkyo Onsen Ice Fall Festival, since you're staying at Asahikawa. This one is not free to enter so you'll need to pay 300 yen per entry.

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not enough one 7 days. :(

Mergui219067

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I did almost the Hokkaido during the winter festival a few years ago including the drift ice / Sounkyo / Hakodate/ Kushiro etc.

It is not ex if you only need the room for basic.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.