 Pay Discussions [Read first page for FAQ]

VodkaPear

Master Member
Reaction score
Supposedly cashless should make our life easier.
But duno why in sg, cashless method like make our life more difficult.

I jus stick to use  pay.
Those dun accept  pay then give cash.

Jirachi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Australia is one of the worse. There are banks that do not want to support Android/Apple Pay because they want to use their proprietary NFC payments. Better still, Commonwealth Banks wants Apple to open up Apple Pay to 3rd party.

chris888222

Reaction score
Lol. It's easy to say that.

Nets itself is not a worldwide backbone but only merely for Singapore use. To make nets integrated to Apple Pay, you got ask tim Cook whether he wants not?

I don't think having qr codes will be causing a confusion. It just caters to different target clients.

Usually every 5 years or every 10 years the technology will die off if it's not well received, so we shall just wait a while and see how..

The latest singtel dash supports virtual visa payment. That one I'm taken aback cos I don't know who uses that. Lol.

As previously mentioned, Apple Pay works with similar systems from other countries such as Interac in Canada and most recently eftpos in Australia. These two systems are not international as well.

I asked NETS about the possibility of including Apple Pay support and they said that it is not possible to incorporate NFC support as Apple isn't opening NFC payments to third parties. Clearly NETS is trying to avoid paying additional fees here.

Things are definitely not so simple. I just kinda wished that companies will just work with the main ones (Apple, Google) but of course they won't.

nicepal

Reaction score
So far, I have not even add the card to NetsPay, just installed the app only. Used Apple Pay at few places and especially MacDonald... ;) Ever since i got my Apple Watch, Apple Pay is fun and easy as well. Select the card, hold the wrist and the machine, paid.. nice and easy.. no need to hold the whole phone out of my pants' pocket.

Fellowes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As previously mentioned, Apple Pay works with similar systems from other countries such as Interac in Canada and most recently eftpos in Australia. These two systems are not international as well.

I asked NETS about the possibility of including Apple Pay support and they said that it is not possible to incorporate NFC support as Apple isn't opening NFC payments to third parties. Clearly NETS is trying to avoid paying additional fees here.

Things are definitely not so simple. I just kinda wished that companies will just work with the main ones (Apple, Google) but of course they won't.

The problem with cashless not taking off in Singapore as compare to China or even South Korea it’s because we have too many different system all trying to take a slice of the “cashless cake”. All trying to compete and out do each other which only introduce confusing to the users and business trying to adopt cashless technology.

We need a single app/platform then our nation can catch up with China.

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Chinese cashless movement, was it pushed by the Chinese Government?

our country is occupied by western capitalism ideology, maybe thats why so many standards.

ashhong

Reaction score
So far, I have not even add the card to NetsPay, just installed the app only. Used Apple Pay at few places and especially MacDonald... ;) Ever since i got my Apple Watch, Apple Pay is fun and easy as well. Select the card, hold the wrist and the machine, paid.. nice and easy.. no need to hold the whole phone out of my pants' pocket.

I agreed that Apple Pay is easy to use. Fun? perhaps not so fun to have to pay money.

but since my phone is on my hand most of the time, it is good enough.

I tried to use NetsPay but give up because the cashier had no idea how it works. I ended up using Apple Pay instead.

The problem with cashless not taking off in Singapore as compare to China or even South Korea it’s because we have too many different system all trying to take a slice of the “cashless cake”. All trying to compete and out do each other which only introduce confusing to the users and business trying to adopt cashless technology.

We need a single app/platform then our nation can catch up with China.

yes, there are just too many different apps that try to do the same thing. but nope took off.

PayNow can be that platform

Don't think so. it is still peer to peer.

If Grab can get more merchants to adopt their GrabPay, I think it has more chance to be that platform. This is especially since there are already a large number of people that has the Grab App on their phone. and grabpay is required to use their promo codde. People aren't new to it.

Chinese cashless movement, was it pushed by the Chinese Government?

our country is occupied by western capitalism ideology, maybe thats why so many standards.

I doubt so but the chinese government didn't stop it.

there were many factors that pushed it. credit cards aren't that common there, fake cash, online shopping like taobao give birth to AliPay and WeChat Pay started to get popular from a social movement aka give red packet. correct me if i am wrong, i might get some of the details wrong.

but the fact was that WeChat is way too convenient. You can pay electricity, phone bill, book uber, buy movies ticket all from within the app.

i was in china for a week and used WeChat Pay when i was there. Most of the stores there accept WeChat Pay as a mode of payment, in fact they preferred it. Even food stall that are manned by elderly that are in their 60s knows how to use it (no offence, but honestly I don't think our folks are interested in learning it.).

Some shops even stop accepting cash. you know how large cashless is over there when shop DO NOT accept cash.

And even as a tourist, I actually quite like it because I don't have to deal with coins and notes. Much cleaner too.

Last edited:

tec_geek

Reaction score
I have got an idea on how to solve the payment modes in Singapore by using the current and existing technologies we already have now.

I believe it can benefit everyone that uses it and it’s gonna be nothing new to learn, especially for the elderly and fairly secure for the young and old to use.

But for this to take off, it requires the collaboration between the relevant parties. (Banks, Transport and a card company).

Fellowes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Email Citibank regards Apple Pay and they replied me.

“thank you again for your message.

We do not have any plans to launch Apple Pay in Singapore at this stage. Please rest assured that we will notify our customers as soon as this service is available with Citibank credit cards.
Thank you for your continued support of Citibank, which is greatly appreciated.”

👎🏼👎🏼 Citibank SG love to discriminate Apple users in Singapore instead, don’t worry i have already cut a lot of usage to their cards as they don’t support contactless payment which I always use.

Last edited:

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just received a complimentary UOB Platinum UnionPay card, but not able to add to Apple Pay. So Apple Pay only supports Visa, Mastercard and AmEx?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how to use apple pay at apple's own online store? dun see any other payment options other than credit card.

You have to use the Apple store app on your qualifying iOS device before Apple Pay will be available.

On its own website, you cannot pay using Apple Pay, not even MacBook Pro with Touch ID can do it unless it’s using the App Store.

aztech44

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, currently i using posb everyday card to tap for ez link, can i add it to my wallet and use it by tapping my phone?

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I guess not Apple Pay.. It's Apple's NFC not yet supporting the Public Transport...
No, the fare readers only accept whitelisted contactless mastercards. Apple Pay follows the EMV standard, the same standard used for other contactless EMV cards.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No, the fare readers only accept whitelisted contactless mastercards. Apple Pay follows the EMV standard, the same standard used for other contactless EMV cards.

You cant tokenise EMV chips can you? :D

Apple Pay follows the EMV tokenisation specification framework which functions at backend level. However, its not this standard which affects the performance. In fact, the current closed door trial already started accepting virtual devices, including Apple/android/Samsung pay and wearables to onboard transit.

According to what I heard, unofficially they are gonna introduce this to the public next year or after next year which includes virtual devices.

In transitlink’s Account-based ticketing (ABT) portal, the legend includes virtual device, which also concurs the above information and is also conclusive that the infrastructure is gearing up for the mass trial in time to come.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.