The DJI Spark Thread

Scarlet Tea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
someone requested me to open a thread for dji spark flyers and people who are new to it. ok here it is.

i have flown my spark a few times and my experiences were quite scary. I almost lost my drone once but thank goodness a malay couple picked up and handed it back to me when i reached the landing point. i ran quite a distance to the landing point to retrieve my drone. i have a friend who almost lost his mavic as well. this happened because we ignored the warning to RTH with less than 10% battery life hence our drone decided to ignore our RC and it chose a smooth place for landing. yes dji drones are systemized to choose their preferred landing spot too.

so to refrain this auto landing issue, you must initiate RTH when you are prompted to do so. it is pre-set at 30% battery life when it prompts you for RTH. that amount of juice is enough for your drone to auto pilot back from a far distance. 20% should be enough for nearer distance?

and also stay far away from area surrounded by too many metallic objects. i heard that dji drones would repel from metallic object.

hmmm about capturing splendid aerial shots, i cant advise you much but i realized that beautiful shots are always taken when you roll down your gimbal. just fly somewhere you think would have a beautiful ground and roll down your gimbal. you are the judge from the screen. here are some examples of my shots.

d37oN2l.jpg

uSF5wir.jpg

XHHWPwj.jpg

bnU1bub.jpg

t4j3dxg.jpg

E2nSe4H.jpg

Quadcopter

Reaction score
someone requested me to open a thread for dji spark flyers and people who are new to it. ok here it is.

i have flown my spark a few times and my experiences were quite scary. I almost lost my drone once but thank goodness a malay couple picked up and handed it back to me when i reached the landing point. i ran quite a distance to the landing point to retrieve my drone. i have a friend who almost lost his mavic as well. this happened because we ignored the warning to RTH with less than 10% battery life hence our drone decided to ignore our RC and it chose a smooth place for landing. yes dji drones are systemized to choose their preferred landing spot too.

so to refrain this auto landing issue, you must initiate RTH when you are prompted to do so. it is pre-set at 30% battery life when it prompts you for RTH. that amount of juice is enough for your drone to auto pilot back from a far distance. 20% should be enough for nearer distance?

and also stay far away from area surrounded by too many metallic objects. i heard that dji drones would repel from metallic object.

hmmm about capturing splendid aerial shots, i cant advise you much but i realized that beautiful shots are always taken when you roll down your gimbal. just fly somewhere you think would have a beautiful ground and roll down your gimbal. you are the judge from the screen. here are some examples of my shots.

d37oN2l.jpg

uSF5wir.jpg

XHHWPwj.jpg

bnU1bub.jpg

t4j3dxg.jpg

E2nSe4H.jpg

wow!!.... CAAS guys please take note.... here are your evidence,... this guy flying his spark drone at >200ft, fly inside cbd, and what's that "singapore airline" so must be near airport, and that landed on some malay couple busy doing pak-tor. dji spark is only released after that singapore drone law. So please fine him 4 times S$10k= S$40k.... hahaha.... :s13:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ok, our spark guru here, please help with following questions....

a. Any headless/headfree mode for spark? and how to turn it on with remote control? I need to fly drone to 50-100ft altitude, spinning it few rounds there and taking video. I will not be able to see head and tail at that height.
b. Anyway to set spark into gesture control when spark is linked to remote control? Possible to fly spark in gesture mode and quickly switch over to remote control during emergency?
c. Have you tried palm launch and landing on palm when flying with remote control? does it work?
d. Have you flown spark under windy outdoor condition? did it get blown away by wind?

:D

Scarlet Tea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow!!.... CAAS guys please take note.... here are your evidence,... this guy flying his spark drone at >200ft, fly inside cbd, and what's that "singapore airline" so must be near airport, and that landed on some malay couple busy doing pak-tor. dji spark is only released after that singapore drone law. So please fine him 4 times S$10k= S$40k.... hahaha.... :s13:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ok, our spark guru here, please help with following questions....

a. Any headless/headfree mode for spark? and how to turn it on with remote control? I need to fly drone to 50-100ft altitude, spinning it few rounds there and taking video. I will not be able to see head and tail at that height.
b. Anyway to set spark into gesture control when spark is linked to remote control? Possible to fly spark in gesture mode and quickly switch over to remote control during emergency?
c. Have you tried palm launch and landing on palm when flying with remote control? does it work?
d. Have you flown spark under windy outdoor condition? did it get blown away by wind?

haha it didnt land on them la. it landed a few meters away from them.

a. just look at your live video and move your sticks according to where it is facing. is that what you meant by headless mode?

b. havent tried this feature yet.

c. dont dare :(

d. yes! sg flyer that side very windy but it didnt seem affected by the wind.

Last edited:

Quadcopter

Reaction score
haha it didnt land on them la. it landed a few meters away from them.

a. just look at your live video and move your sticks according to where it is facing. is that what you meant by headless mode?

b. havent tried this feature yet.

c. dont dare :(

d. yes! sg flyer that side very windy but it didnt seem affected by the wind.

headless/headfree mode (meaning heading free)
- Let's say you have a drone facing east, you move forward stick it moves eastward
- you switch over to headfree now
- it is facing east and you move forward stick it still moves eastward
- you move yaw stick left and drone turns 90° facing north, now you move forward stick drone still moves eastward
- you again move yaw stick left and drone turns 90° facing west, now you move backward stick drone moves westward
- you again move yaw stick left and drone turns 90° facing south, now you move leftward stick drone moves northward
- regardless of your drone yaw position or facing direction, now if you move you right hand stick: forward => drone goes east, backward => drone goes west, leftward => drone goes north, rightward => drone goes south

so, headless/headfree mode is moving the drone in a fixed direction, regardless of the yaw position (or drone facing position)
That fixed direction is remembered by the drone during: a) one type is when you power up the drone b) the other type is at the moment you turn on headfree
go power up one of your toy drones, set it to headless mode, and you will know what i mean...

under headfree:
- drone uses gyroscope or compass to determine the fixed direction
- remote control transmitter does not send direction info, or gps info, or compass info to drone
- remote control transmitter only sends stick info to drone, as normal
- the cheaper toy drone uses gyroscope to determine direction, and gyroscope drifts after 10-20 minutes.

headless/headfree is important under certain emergency conditions, for e.g. strong winds that blow your drone off gps position locking, or eagle attacking your drone. You will have no time to think about drone direction or looking at the LCD, you just have to quickly move drone to safety.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Questions:
a) at that 500-800ft altitude you were flying, did you install propeller guards? (normally with propeller guards the drone could lose about 10% thrust power due to airflow blocking, changes in air dynamic and extra weight)
b) at high altitude, did you find some winds keep trying to "press down" the drone??
c) Is the 2-axis camera stabilizer/gimbal stable at high altitude?

:s8:

Scarlet Tea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
headless/headfree mode (meaning heading free)
- Let's say you have a drone facing east, you move forward stick it moves eastward
- you switch over to headfree now
- it is facing east and you move forward stick it still moves eastward
- you move yaw stick left and drone turns 90° facing north, now you move forward stick drone still moves eastward
- you again move yaw stick left and drone turns 90° facing west, now you move backward stick drone moves westward
- you again move yaw stick left and drone turns 90° facing south, now you move leftward stick drone moves northward
- regardless of your drone yaw position or facing direction, now if you move you right hand stick: forward => drone goes east, backward => drone goes west, leftward => drone goes north, rightward => drone goes south

so, headless/headfree mode is moving the drone in a fixed direction, regardless of the yaw position (or drone facing position)
That fixed direction is remembered by the drone during: a) one type is when you power up the drone b) the other type is at the moment you turn on headfree
go power up one of your toy drones, set it to headless mode, and you will know what i mean...

under headfree:
- drone uses gyroscope or compass to determine the fixed direction
- remote control transmitter does not send direction info, or gps info, or compass info to drone
- remote control transmitter only sends stick info to drone, as normal
- the cheaper toy drone uses gyroscope to determine direction, and gyroscope drifts after 10-20 minutes.

headless/headfree is important under certain emergency conditions, for e.g. strong winds that blow your drone off gps position locking, or eagle attacking your drone. You will have no time to think about drone direction or looking at the LCD, you just have to quickly move drone to safety.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Questions:
a) at that 500-800ft altitude you were flying, did you install propeller guards? (normally with propeller guards the drone could lose about 10% thrust power due to airflow blocking, changes in air dynamic and extra weight)
b) at high altitude, did you find some winds keep trying to "press down" the drone??
c) Is the 2-axis camera stabilizer/gimbal stable at high altitude?

it is headless mode by default.

a. no I don't use propeller guard cos not necessary.

b. no. so far it could maintain at the same altitude.

c. stable as in?

Quadcopter

Reaction score
it is headless mode by default.

a. no I don't use propeller guard cos not necessary.

b. no. so far it could maintain at the same altitude.

c. stable as in?

alamak, i bet you never took a close look at your spark.... your that poor spark kena bought by you, abused, tortured, pushed to near death and never get appreciated! :(

1) headless
i powered up my spark (just opened box, have not flown outdoor), lift off to 1m and is not in headless. I'm also unable to set it to headless. I think you do not understand what is headless yet. Go power up your toy drones and set to headless then you will understand what i mean. And i bet your drone flying skill is as bad as me, haha.... :s13:

2) spark's camera stabilizer
The main reason why i buy a dji is because of the camera stabilizer. Following is the video of spark's camera stabilizer (auto turned on once power up). Look at where the camera pointing and balancing by itself carefully.

https://youtu.be/YvG3VeBI-bs

Q. How is the camera stabilizer performing at high altitude with strong winds (video shaky on hp)?

3) Without camera stabilizer
My cheapo S$150 diy drone + S$70 action camera is able to produce the photos taken by your spark, if I fly it high enough (but that will be against the drones law here). However for video capturing, my diy drone is producing terrible result as in following video. I'm waiting for camera manufacturers to produce a small stabilized camera as in spark. The gimbals available now are too big and bulky targeted for big 4K action cams. The following video is already digitally stabilized by Microsoft Hyperlapse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrk3sT4BEk4

Last edited:

blade81

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
alamak, i bet you never took a close look at your spark.... your that poor spark kena bought by you, abused, tortured, pushed to near death and never get appreciated! :(

1) headless
i powered up my spark (just opened box, have not flown outdoor), lift off to 1m and is not in headless. I'm also unable to set it to headless. I think you do not understand what is headless yet. Go power up your toy drones and set to headless then you will understand what i mean. And i bet your drone flying skill is as bad as me, haha.... :s13:

The main reason why i buy a dji is because of the camera stabilizer. Following is the video of spark's camera stabilizer (auto turned on once power up). Look at where the camera pointing and balancing by itself carefully.

Q. How is the camera stabilizer performing at high altitude with strong winds (video shaky on hp)?

My cheapo S$150 diy drone + S$70 action camera is able to produce the photos taken by your spark, if I fly it high enough (but that will be against the drones law here). However for video capturing, my diy drone is producing terrible result as in following video. I'm waiting for camera manufacturers to produce a small stabilized camera as in spark. The gimbals available now are too big and bulky targeted for big 4K action cams. The following video is already digitally stabilized by Microsoft Hyperlapse.

How big are you talking about? Spark currently has 2 axis gimbal. While you can buy a 3 axis gimbal for less than 100 or less and mount a gopro or equivalent 4k cam. It doesnt weigh that much.

Quadcopter

Reaction score
How big are you talking about? Spark currently has 2 axis gimbal. While you can buy a 3 axis gimbal for less than 100 or less and mount a gopro or equivalent 4k cam. It doesnt weigh that much.

i only need a 2-axis gimbal, better wait for something built into the camera in future. Hope there is such thing.

Current 2 or 3-axis gimbals are too bulky and heavy. Their weight is like 200g + 60g camera, where as a whole dji spark is only about 300g.

with that bulky gimbal, the 180-210mm diy drone will never fit into my backpack. :(

now know the reason why i go buy a spark?... ;)

at the moment, likely will continue flying my 180-210mm quadcopter with a Firefly Q6 strapped on it, until dji spark becomes a better solution....

Quadcopter

Reaction score
for those having a DJI spark now, try this on your DJI Spark's gesture control, it can be fooled by a photo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7KvP0zVIkA

Not saying something wrong with Spark's gesture control or it is lousy, just having some fun fooling it. I do not think you can fool Microsoft Kinect that easily.

Overall, Spark's gesture control does it's job well in indoor selfie. However, my feeling of it is not as intelligent as Microsoft Kinect. May be DJI Spark is too new and needs another few years of software enhancements. Spark's light weight is also unable to carry much sensors and CPU powers.

Have fun playing with your Spark!...

Scarlet Tea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

1) headless

mine was headless mode by default leh. I adjust the directions from the perspective of my live video.

not shaky. it is very stable unless you switch direction too fast.

Quadcopter

Reaction score
Hi, nice pictures.
Could you tell me why I can't post my pictures here?

this forum says you need to chit-chat with us for >10times then you are allowed to post images and links here.... :s13:

=> you can only post images or links after your post count hits >10.... the forum should had given you that message when you tried to post image/link now.... for me, i just got myself qualified.... :D

btw: anyone knows if that spark's 4730F propeller is really carbon fiber?... it looks very plastic to me :s13:.... and i'm tempted to buy some compatible red color propellers so that i can see where is drone's head & tail more clearly....

flyhigh777

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am very tempted to get the Spark...do you think the coming pc show will have some offer ?

TIA :)

Quadcopter

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am very tempted to get the Spark...do you think the coming pc show will have some offer ?

TIA :)

Yeah, we got a new spark buddy... :s12:

i got my DJI Spark Fly More Combo from Challenger/Hachi at S$899 few weeks ago. Now challenger price it back to S$1049. Inside China is around S$950. i think you need to wait for x'mas sales in getting better discount....

The spark's optical positioning is very stable at indoor, if you want indoor selfie. I've not brought the spark to outside and try flying yet....

flyhigh777

Reaction score
Yeah, we got a new spark buddy... :s12:

i got my DJI Spark Fly More Combo from Challenger/Hachi at S$899 few weeks ago. Now challenger price it back to S$1049. Inside China is around S$950. i think you need to wait for x'mas sales in getting better discount....

The spark's optical positioning is very stable at indoor, if you want indoor selfie. I've not brought the spark to outside and try flying yet....

cool !! yeah plan to fly indoor first and get familiar b4 I fly out door. Thanks for the info !

Quadcopter

Reaction score
cool !! yeah plan to fly indoor first and get familiar b4 I fly out door. Thanks for the info !

eh! indoor spark for selfie only, and also get familiar with it. Although it is very stable indoor (meaning the spark will stay/hover at the same spot in the air if you left the remote control untouched), this is quite a big 180mm size brushless quadcopter and not suitable for indoor flying.

if you are new and needs something for indoor training.... may be get a cheap drone like:
a) JJRC H36, ~S$17, This one got no altitude hold, and if you know how to fly this tiny quadcopter then you know how to fly all quadcopters manually
b) Syma X21W, ~S$60, Get the version with remote control and 720p video. This one with altitude hold.

Have fun flying your Spark!!.... ;)

flyhigh777

Reaction score
eh! indoor spark for selfie only, and also get familiar with it. Although it is very stable indoor (meaning the spark will stay/hover at the same spot in the air if you left the remote control untouched), this is quite a big 180mm size brushless quadcopter and not suitable for indoor flying.

if you are new and needs something for indoor training.... may be get a cheap drone like:
a) JJRC H36, ~S$17, This one got no altitude hold, and if you know how to fly this tiny quadcopter then you know how to fly all quadcopters manually
b) Syma X21W, ~S$60, Get the version with remote control and 720p video. This one with altitude hold.

Have fun flying your Spark!!.... ;)

haha thanks...i have a Parrot Mambo to play indoor but it is control by handphone which i felt kinda tough :(

Will look into your suggestion and anyway have not gotten the Sparks yet haha....

Quadcopter

Reaction score
....had been watching youtube on how to fly a spark...

Wow! someone autopilot a parrot bebop 2 for half an hour around the city. Total journey around 13+km. :s13:
But still, better don't get that drone although bebop 2 power is cheaper than a spark...

Good quality video depends heavily on the skill of the flyer, and not always on the drones capabilities. For my level of skill, i will crash a mavic/spark than producing any nice video.... :s13:

If you need to fly high altitude or against strong wind, better get a mavic than a spark. Someone did some good test. :s8:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.