Back from South island New Zealand

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Eh. For sim. Im thinking of getting one nz sim. So if need to call or what easier.
Then another sim I just apply for starhub oversea data. Or should get the starhub prepaid card. Which one better ?
Wifi in most accom are quite bad, and some are also limited.
But my usage low, so i surviving on singtel's 1gb for 30 days plan

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's why want to know roughly how much lo. Or is most of them accept or don't accept cc for petrol.

If most accept then I probably budget half of what I need to pay for petrol for cash.
So far the attractions i been to all accept cards. And most of it i already booked and paid online.

Note that some accom charges additional 2% if u pay by card

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wifi in most accom are quite bad, and some are also limited.
But my usage low, so i surviving on singtel's 1gb for 30 days plan

Yeah. I see the reviews . I don't expect it to be good also.
Can check info etc should be good enough.

I wanted the nz sim so if need to call or what easier.

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So far the attractions i been to all accept cards. And most of it i already booked and paid online.

Note that some accom charges additional 2% if u pay by card

Accommodation some I have prebooked already. Some going to pay there. Wha. Like that luggi leh. 2% + foreign currency charge.

Activities I haven't booked yet. Hopefully will book by next few days.

alexljy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to do a trip in mid-late dec, rough itinerary, does this look feasible?

Day 1: Christchurch
Day 2: Arthur's Pass to Hotitika
Day 3: Fox Glacier / Franz Joseph
Day 4: Haast Pass > Wanaka
Day 5: Wanaka
Day 6: Mount Cook
Day 7: Dunedin (Otago Penisular)
Day 8: Stay somewhere in middle from Dunedin> Te Anau
Day 9: Te Anau
Day 10:Te Anau (MilfordSound)
Day 11: Queenstown
Day 12: Queenstown

Not sure if I should remove Dunedin and Southern Scenic Route for more time in Mount Cook, Queenstown area. Will be driving all the way.

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to do a trip in mid-late dec, rough itinerary, does this look feasible?

Day 1: Christchurch
Day 2: Arthur's Pass to Hotitika
Day 3: Fox Glacier / Franz Joseph
Day 4: Haast Pass > Wanaka
Day 5: Wanaka
Day 6: Mount Cook
Day 7: Dunedin (Otago Penisular)
Day 8: Stay somewhere in middle from Dunedin> Te Anau
Day 9: Te Anau
Day 10:Te Anau (MilfordSound)
Day 11: Queenstown
Day 12: Queenstown

Not sure if I should remove Dunedin and Southern Scenic Route for more time in Mount Cook, Queenstown area. Will be driving all the way.

gg for sky dive that kind of activity? if so then cater 2 days at FJ..
depend on what u want to do in QT?
im spending one day at mt cook one at tekapo.

alexljy

Reaction score
gg for sky dive that kind of activity? if so then cater 2 days at FJ..
depend on what u want to do in QT?
im spending one day at mt cook one at tekapo.

No sky dive, only Heli hike. Hmm 1 day at Mount Cook, 1 day at Tekapo sounds interesting, but Tekapo's hotel cost expensive.

Anyone been to Dunedin/Southern Scenic Route area before can comment if it's worth the trip when i have about 3 days there?

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No sky dive, only Heli hike. Hmm 1 day at Mount Cook, 1 day at Tekapo sounds interesting, but Tekapo's hotel cost expensive.

Anyone been to Dunedin/Southern Scenic Route area before can comment if it's worth the trip when i have about 3 days there?

Eh.. not sure if the weather will affect the heli hike not. If u stay one day and it affect then u no need to go liao.

Stay near tekapo lo. Go find the places near tekapo. Cheaper . Don't have to stay at the actual place itself. If u driving only drive awhile ma.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Eh.. not sure if the weather will affect the heli hike not. If u stay one day and it affect then u no need to go liao.

Stay near tekapo lo. Go find the places near tekapo. Cheaper . Don't have to stay at the actual place itself. If u driving only drive awhile ma.
I find it worth it to stay at lake tekapo if ur purpose is to do stargazing at church of good shepherd. So after stargazing, it is a short drive or walk back to accom.

Mt cook i find not worth staying at the village. Expensive accom, and not much food choice. Hooker valley track is nice though.. So can make it a day trip from maybe twizel

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I find it worth it to stay at lake tekapo if ur purpose is to do stargazing at church of good shepherd. So after stargazing, it is a short drive or walk back to accom.

Mt cook i find not worth staying at the village. Expensive accom, and not much food choice. Hooker valley track is nice though.. So can make it a day trip from maybe twizel

Yeah I'm gonna stay at twizel for mt cook.

For the stargazing, which one is recommended ah? Seem like got quite a few right ? I see one is tekapo star gazing.

http://tekapostargazing.co.nz/

I'm staying quite near tekapo also. just not right at it. think 15-20min drive?

Lycanista

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm staying in an airbnb in Fairlie for Lake Tekapo, about 20-30 minutes away. Think for stargazing anywhere is fine in Tekapo since I read that it's a dark sky reserve location? Or you can try the Mt. John observatory?

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm staying in an airbnb in Fairlie for Lake Tekapo, about 20-30 minutes away. Think for stargazing anywhere is fine in Tekapo since I read that it's a dark sky reserve location? Or you can try the Mt. John observatory?

Yeah. I saw mt John also.

Sometimes too many choice is like that. Haha. That's why need recommendation lo.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm gonna stay at twizel for mt cook.

For the stargazing, which one is recommended ah? Seem like got quite a few right ? I see one is tekapo star gazing.

http://tekapostargazing.co.nz/

I'm staying quite near tekapo also. just not right at it. think 15-20min drive?
I didnt book any stargazing tour, i just go church of good shepherd to take photo.
I dunno which is recommended, but earthandsky seems very popular for their stargazing and observatory tour

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I didnt book any stargazing tour, i just go church of good shepherd to take photo.
I dunno which is recommended, but earthandsky seems very popular for their stargazing and observatory tour

Gum xia. Didn't know that one no need to pay. It's the same right ? Just that no guide no telescope that kind of scope.

Reaction score
Gum xia. Didn't know that one no need to pay. It's the same right ? Just that no guide no telescope that kind of scope.

If the sky is clear, you can see stars from most places in Lake Tekapo though a lot of people like to gather around Church of Good Shepherd to take the starry starry night against the church as a backdrop. Can’t post link but google Church of Good Shepherd and you can get an idea of what you can see in starry sky. The tour with Earth and Sky where a mini bus will take you to Mount John with the observatory to view the stars with the powerful telescopes including commentary. It’s a fabulous tour but weather dependent. If weather condition is not good for viewing, you can choose to re-schedule (subject to availability) or cancel (some cancellation fee involved). The mini bus goes up the mountain and headlights are switched off when near to Mt John might scare fainted hearted :) but overall it’s an enjoyable experience. Due to weather, we re-scheduled our tour to last available for the day which finished around 2 am. In case you end up with such timing, best is to stay around the main village area so that you can walk back or short drive back to your accommodation. Church of Good Shepherd is just few min walk from Sky and Earth and the main village area. Earth and Sky is the only one in Lake Tekapo doing the tour. There is similar tour in Mount Cook.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Do take note of the need to drive back at night after stargazing at Lake Tekapo is not recommended. Our stargazing tour with Sky and Earth ended at 2 am and we just drove only 3 min back to our accommodation which was still fine. We wouldn’t dare to drive 20-30 min at such late night though.

Last edited:

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input.

there's too many provider man, really difficult to choose.

like heli hike got franzjosefglacier and helicopter line. bookme got cheaper deal for helicopter line.
anyway, i got 2 day stay at fjg.. want to do heli hike and skydive. but scare book liao either one cancel, need reschedule then got conflict. like that how ah? it's probably different coy, so not sure how for this.

for skydive, what's the better timing ah? i think like take 10am one, but probably will jump around noon time which can be quite burning right? at end nov period.

for Milford Sound even worst. the more i find, the more coy i saw. got real journey (Quite exp).. then got jucy and go orange. which is reasonable price. then i saw vip milford and ecotour. ecotour like jucy i think (or a subsidary). vip milford seem nice, and got promo now. half price for driver.

how u guys decide and choose anyway?

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Stargazing in general, unless u keen to know the constellations or positions of certain stars/planets/systems, jus diy if u got car...

Can drive to any parts of lake tekapo from around evening and stay there for 1-2 hrs...

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lol. I mean in general for the activity not just when up there la.

Okay. Sound like I don't need the tour. Gum xia

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.