View Single Post
Old 16-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #24
Kyoji83
Arch-Supremacy Member

missyMoon, you created this account today just to address this thread with one post in hwz?

After reading this thread, I cant help it but to LOL to some of the things mention about PCP.... thou to a certain extent I agree on some part about the high LD amount..

I think its up to individual to manage and cope with the 2yr course... Need a lot of self-discipline too... Its right that the 2yr studies and clinical attachment are not easy, but lecturers, classmates and clinical instructors are there to help... Just have to open up "golden mouth" to ask for help..

We are all adults & we will open our "golden mouth" to ask for help if needed since failure is never an option in our mind. Only situation will force us to withdraw or fail the course. Let be fair, there are good lecturers in NYP too. You have good lecturers for all modules does not mean my class have good lecturers for all modules. There are incompetent lecturers too.

Nursing is a job where you need a lot of teamwork, critical thinking, interaction skills, and be very observant...
BUT if those individuals who are anti-social, don't enjoy group work and loner.... then I think this course is not suitable for them... Being a LONER, its impossible to sustain the 2yr course.... Can't imagine that....

But I have got a very observant classmate who is a person with few words but has excellent critical thinking and interaction skills with patients is superb, especially with older patients..

It is a good point to share in this thread. Being a LONER is hard to sustain the course because we are involved in heavy group work. I would like to add on that there were group politics between classmates & it was different when I was studying in other full/part time courses, so be prepare. For me, I never have an issues with my subgroup and classmates. I am also well-like by my patients.

NYP is teaching the fundamentals of nursing skills and the necessary expectations(safety issues to ensure that no harm is done to the patient) needed for lab test... if not able to attain fundamental skills taught in NYP, how to nurse your patients in hospital if your hospital P&P is more complex?
Eventually, when we are back in our hospital after graduated, we need to follow our hospital P&P... Different hospital has different P&P... So we cant expect NYP to teach all right?

Full time student trained in Nursing Lab 1A & attend Clinical Placement 1A in semester 1 & they will take Nursing Lab 1B & attend Clinical Placement 1B in semester 2. PCP student trained in only Nursing Lab 1A but attended Clinical Placement 1A & partial 1B in semester 1. Similar things are happening in semester 2 & 3. In short, PCP student are assess in Clinical Placement when they are not trained but during pre-Clinical Placement briefing, student are told not to perform skills if you are not trained. Why is this so & is this safe?

I was in charge of 2 cubicles alone (1 cubicle is 6 bedded) & 1 of them is fall risk cubicle as a Nursing Student while my RNs for this 2 cubicles went for their meal. The only help is those staffs who walk pass my cubicles or I illegal (No one should leave fall risk cubicle unattended) walk over to next cubicle or ward counter to ask RN for help. This is a norm in that hospital ward & this is not even PRCP level. Why is this so & is this safe?

Everything have good & bad side. I don't encourage PCP-RN students & graduates only paint the good side of it. It good to let the public especially prospective student to know the bad side to make a good judgement if this is what they want.

So to those Singaporeans and PR... if you got the passion in nursing, just try.... With the passion, I guess everything is possible... Jia you!! At least for me, I didn't think about the LD, as my objective is to graduate and be a nurse..

To those who have passion in nursing, feel free to PM me if u have any questions... but dont ask about LD amount... different hospital has different amount....

PCP RN graduate
To missyMoon, jiayou for your nursing career.