Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

incredible99

Reaction score
You more or less have to use the Hakone 2 Day Pass. It is a private line anyway. So JR Pass or not it does nothing for you

the parts in Tokyo till you go back will be a bit complicated.

17k for a 5 day (within 14 days) pass might be too much. Right now you are clocking in under 12k

if you want to make it worth, you need to do another shinkansen trip and that might just clock in enough for the pass but might not make it worth it

Thanks - if i plan to rent a car when we reach Hakone to go around is it still worth getting the Hakone Pass?

How did you arrive at 12k? Will the shinkansen to Kuruizawa ski resort be included in the JR pass to make it worthwhile?

Thanks again.

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on what footwear when going to Hokkaido during winter period (e.g. Dec - Jan)?

Would I be pushing it if I wore sneakers and bought the spikes for walking on ice, or should I definitely get snow boots? Thanks!

Get water proof and anti slip shoes.

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks - if i plan to rent a car when we reach Hakone to go around is it still worth getting the Hakone Pass?

How did you arrive at 12k? Will the shinkansen to Kuruizawa ski resort be included in the JR pass to make it worthwhile?

Thanks again.

the pass covers train ride on the odakyu and the train systems over there

I am not so sure if you need a car to explore Hakone. Just my own opinion since almost all the attractions in Hakone can be accessed by the pass covered options

I used hyperdia and checked the cost of going from Shinjuku to Karuizawa which is 5,500. Then from Karuizawa to Haneda is just a touch above 6k. Total is like close to 12k.

IF you are checking into the Prince ski resort. you very much are going to just stay there, rent a bike to go to the old town area and your Karuizawa is pretty much done. In fact, I would not go anywhere. Max time on the snow, eat, sleep, more time on snow....

NEX to Shinjuku (no change) is 2990

you are still under the cost of the 17k pass.... if you want cheaper transport out of Narita, you need to like use the keisei liner or another service instead of the NEX.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks ... what about trip into Shinjuku from Narita and the days in Tokyo? What's most economical?

From Narita to Shinjuku u can take NEX or Keisei. NEX is best but most expensive at 2990yen. Second best is Keisei Skyliner to Nippori then change to Yamanote line. Third best the most tedious but cheast train is Keisei Skyaccess and chnage 2 times at metro lines for 1410. Another way is to ride Access Narita Bus for 1000yen to Tokyo stn, then take JR/metro to Shinjuku, total 1200.

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cpuer, what abt the Airport limou buses? Cases and all might be worth it for them

kurenai

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the weather info on iphone accurate? Kyoto tokyo ard 6-8 deg C? So cold ardy..

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cpuer, what abt the Airport limou buses? Cases and all might be worth it for them

Buy the limo bus tickets + unlimited subway pass: http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/information/visitor_tickets/subwaypass/

This is what i use in the last trip. Very worth.

CBpP1Xb.png

Last edited:

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi. Just booked a trip to travel to sapporo on 9 feb next year. Due to snow festival. The hotel rate around sapporo are super expensive even further away also not cheap as long are nearby any tourists attractions . I always travel on budget and any ideas where is the nearest cheapest accommodation. It is ok to stay at tomakoma and make day trip to sapporo during the winter period. (9 feb - 15 feb)

thwysg

Reaction score
Hi. Just booked a trip to travel to sapporo on 9 feb next year. Due to snow festival. The hotel rate around sapporo are super expensive even further away also not cheap as long are nearby any tourists attractions . I always travel on budget and any ideas where is the nearest cheapest accommodation. It is ok to stay at tomakoma and make day trip to sapporo during the winter period. (9 feb - 15 feb)

It’s not just because of the snow festival, but it’s also a long weekend for the locals as there’s a public holiday.

jtleee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anybody knows why i can bring back fresh produce from kyushu but not possible from okinawa?

incredible99

Reaction score
the pass covers train ride on the odakyu and the train systems over there

I am not so sure if you need a car to explore Hakone. Just my own opinion since almost all the attractions in Hakone can be accessed by the pass covered options

I used hyperdia and checked the cost of going from Shinjuku to Karuizawa which is 5,500. Then from Karuizawa to Haneda is just a touch above 6k. Total is like close to 12k.

IF you are checking into the Prince ski resort. you very much are going to just stay there, rent a bike to go to the old town area and your Karuizawa is pretty much done. In fact, I would not go anywhere. Max time on the snow, eat, sleep, more time on snow....

NEX to Shinjuku (no change) is 2990

you are still under the cost of the 17k pass.... if you want cheaper transport out of Narita, you need to like use the keisei liner or another service instead of the NEX.

Thanks ... So if i buy the 14day JR Pass (17K) I just have to make sure the 4 days i spend in Tokyo i max out my train rides to above 2K correct? i plan to travel to places like shibuya / askausa / ginza / etc tourists spots ... do you think all train rides in the 4 days will exceed 2K?

i will reconsider the car hire in Hakone ...

Thanks again - you've been a great help Cancer81!

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks ... So if i buy the 14day JR Pass (17K) I just have to make sure the 4 days i spend in Tokyo i max out my train rides to above 2K correct? i plan to travel to places like shibuya / askausa / ginza / etc tourists spots ... do you think all train rides in the 4 days will exceed 2K?

i will reconsider the car hire in Hakone ...

Thanks again - you've been a great help Cancer81!

take note of the JR-East Pass rule, it is a flexible 5 day pass. When you use it on say 12th of Dec, it will get a dated stamp. The pass will be used up once u have 5 stamps.

Day 4 Travel back to Tokyo for 4 nights (Stay near Shinjuku)

Day 8 Travel to Karuizawa Ski

Day 10 Karuizawa to Haneda Airport

Day 2 and 3 is covered by Hakone 2 day pass. You will be back in Shinjuku station.

There are 7 days after that and you do not quite need a pass in Tokyo unless you decide that you want to go on day trips. I do not know your group makeup and if you got the appetite for day trips.

I sort of counted and even add in a NEX ride when you land since you can use the pass I mentioned 5 times in 14 days and each time is considered 1 of the 5 days.

It is still not covered. To justify a pass, you should go over it's cost. The 3 day Tokyo wide pass is 10k, you currently clock in just 11k for the shinkansen to Karuizawa (5500) and then your trip to Haneda from Karuizawa (6120)

If you slotted in something after you leave Hakone, you might justify the more expensive JR East Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.