Want to buy Amazon Fire during Black Friday

dgenex

Reaction score
Looking to hoot Amazon Fire Tablet 7/8 on Black Friday.

Anybody have experience using? Worth or not :s22:

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looking to hoot Amazon Fire Tablet 7/8 on Black Friday.

Anybody have experience using? Worth or not :s22:

Short answer no.

The Amazon tablet is not the usual Android tablet. It is heavily customised android OS which runs so different from the usual Android tablet you see in the market.

It is created solely for Ebook, Amazon book, entertainment to watch videos or perhaps to surf the web on the tablet.

Although you can do it on the same Android tablet, but Fire tablet is heavily integrated with the Amazon eco system.

If you are in their eco system then perhaps it is fine.

K3vlar

Reaction score
If you have to ask then the answer is no

Usually people get amazon branded tablets if they are already ingrained into their ecosystem.

Other people buy it cos it’s really cheap and they regret it cos they never were a part of the Amazon environment

koroshiya8

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My advise us if TS is used to android or iOS.. then you will be sorely disappointed even if you lower your expectation...

racoiaw

Reaction score
Custom roms might be available in the future. For now it's basically bloatware

fireantz

Reaction score
I'm glad I see the thread before checkout from Amazon. I'm looking for a cheap replacement for my dad's tablet. Basically it will be used for the children to watch YouTube.

tangene

Reaction score
I actually own a Fire HD 8 2016 and I have to say the answer to your question really depends on what your expectations are.

Many people think of Fire Tablets as walled gardens, locked into the Amazon ecosystem. And while that might have been true with previous generations, it is not the case with the current Fire tablet line.

Maybe I'm just not as fussy as some, maybe I'm enamored with how much I am getting out of the purchase given the price I paid, but I'm actually very happy with my Fire HD.

I've installed Google Play (*without Root) on it and it downloads/installs/runs apps from the Playstore without a hitch. Granted there may be exceptions, it's not like I've tried every app there is available out there but so far I've had no problems. A brief list of things I'm currently using include: Firefox Sync, Solid Explorer, Pocket, Airdroid, MX Player, Reddit, Netflix, even tried Kodi for abit (It worked, but I didn't know how to configure it).

One thing I know for fact it has trouble running is custom launchers. A workaround is needed and even then it ends up "glitching" for about a half second as shown: <Link Here>

The main issue most people have with owning a Fire HD tablet is as you might imagine. It runs proprietary OS based off Android and it comes with bloatware just as many cellphones. Think SenseUI, MIUI, Samsung TouchWiz, whatever. It's Android, but different. Root? Depends on model and software version. Not all Fire Tablets can be rooted.

So if you're the type that immediately roots, installs custom launchers on your phone to get that STOCK android feel that you will not compromise on then the Fire HD is NOT for you. If you usually just use your phone AS IS? Then it's time to consider what you are getting for the price. Decent, well-built, no-frills hardware. 4G? Nope. Super camera? Nope. AMOLED display? Nope. But spec-for-spec it would be hard to find anything for anywhere near the same ballpark in price.

Basically what I'm saying is IF you are just looking for something that serves a purpose on a budget and the few drawbacks are not a deal breaker for you? Then MAYBE go with a Fire HD and it might end up pleasantly and surprisingly exceeding your expectations.

**TL;DR:
Fire HD Pros: Value for money device. Runs playstore.
Fire HD Cons: Non-stock interface, cannot root, custom launcher "glitches".

Last edited:

freezerz

Reaction score
I actually own a Fire HD 8 2016 and I have to say the answer to your question really depends on what your expectations are.

Many people think of Fire Tablets as walled gardens, locked into the Amazon ecosystem. And while that might have been true with previous generations, it is not the case with the current Fire tablet line.

Maybe I'm just not as fussy as some, maybe I'm enamored with how much I am getting out of the purchase given the price I paid, but I'm actually very happy with my Fire HD.

I've installed Google Play (*without Root) on it and it downloads/installs/runs apps from the Playstore without a hitch. Granted there may be exceptions, it's not like I've tried every app there is available out there but so far I've had no problems. A brief list of things I'm currently using include: Firefox Sync, Solid Explorer, Pocket, Airdroid, MX Player, Reddit, Netflix, even tried Kodi for abit (It worked, but I didn't know how to configure it).

One thing I know for fact it has trouble running is custom launchers. A workaround is needed and even then it ends up "glitching" for about a half second as shown: <Link Here>

The main issue most people have with owning a Fire HD tablet is as you might imagine. It runs proprietary OS based off Android and it comes with bloatware just as many cellphones. Think SenseUI, MIUI, Samsung TouchWiz, whatever. It's Android, but different. Root? Depends on model and software version. Not all Fire Tablets can be rooted.

So if you're the type that immediately roots, installs custom launchers on your phone to get that STOCK android feel that you will not compromise on then the Fire HD is NOT for you. If you usually just use your phone AS IS? Then it's time to consider what you are getting for the price. Decent, well-built, no-frills hardware. 4G? Nope. Super camera? Nope. AMOLED display? Nope. But spec-for-spec it would be hard to find anything for anywhere near the same ballpark in price.

Basically what I'm saying is IF you are just looking for something that serves a purpose on a budget and the few drawbacks are not a deal breaker for you? Then MAYBE go with a Fire HD and it might end up pleasantly and surprisingly exceeding your expectations.

**TL;DR:
Fire HD Pros: Value for money device. Runs playstore.
Fire HD Cons: Non-stock interface, cannot root, custom launcher "glitches".
Now that the 10" is reduced to US$99, very tempted to get 1. I don't really use amazon services, mainly only using Youtube, web, email and viewing my own mkvs on the go. I know it runs FireOS but can't really visualised how the interface works.

1) Need to sign in to amazon account to use?
2) Does it have an app drawer?
3) Can install MX Player?
4) Play mkv from SD card?
5) Can install and set Google Now as default launcher?

fireantz

Reaction score
It does not ship to sg. You need to use a forwarder. I dont know how much it will cost though

tangene

Reaction score
Now that the 10" is reduced to US$99, very tempted to get 1. I don't really use amazon services, mainly only using Youtube, web, email and viewing my own mkvs on the go. I know it runs FireOS but can't really visualised how the interface works.

1) Need to sign in to amazon account to use?
2) Does it have an app drawer?
3) Can install MX Player?
4) Play mkv from SD card?
5) Can install and set Google Now as default launcher?

I can't exactly verbally explain the interface. Youtube is your friend.

1) I did. But I'm not sure if you HAVE TO. If I'm not mistaken it's mostly for Amazon apps, which I don't use. I popped all the pre-installed bloatware into a folder and have never touched them since. To me it's basically an Android tablet running apps from Playstore.
2) No.
3) Heh. It says in my post. I use MX player.
4) My Fire does not come with SD card slot. If the 10" does, I don't see why not. I mostly play over network.
5) Again. Mentioned in my post. Technically, can. But it "glitches". There's a video link for your reference. For your benefit I'm linking it again... ===>HERE<===

Last edited:

freezerz

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Yes realised you mentioned MX player and 3rd party launcher. Googled a little and it seems there is glitches for all 3rd party launcher.

I'm more concern about the interface. I prefer the app drawer ala Google Now launcher. Saw some Youtube and it seems like the IOS / Xiaomi interface but with a label on top of each each page for the apps contain within. Good to know can create folder to dump the bloatwares.

Looks like I will be getting 1. Thanks!

BTW, do you get any tempered glass protector? Q10 sells like $23 each, hoping to find some locally.

Last edited:

mamboeidos

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
was thinking to get the 10' to replace my mom's nexus 7.

just checking can it d/l n play most games on google play store?

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for similar item as well for youtube streaming...just a question if order for amazon US site will the voltage be any issue? understand US uses 110v sg uses 220v rite? i worry the device will blow when i charge....any bros have any experience??

tangene

Reaction score
... BTW, do you get any tempered glass protector? Q10 sells like $23 each, hoping to find some locally.

I just bought mine together with my Fire and shipped it all together.

Hey guys looking for similar item as well for youtube streaming...just a question if order for amazon US site will the voltage be any issue? understand US uses 110v sg uses 220v rite? i worry the device will blow when i charge....any bros have any experience??

Fire Tablets are charged with USB. No issue.

freezerz

Reaction score
Most bundled chargers can take both 110v and 220v input. Just double check before using. Worst case, use your current handphone/table chargers. They all work.

Rnakee

Reaction score
was thinking to get the 10' to replace my mom's nexus 7.

just checking can it d/l n play most games on google play store?

I owned a HD 8 as my secondary tablet when i charge my ipad.
So far i don't see any games that can't be played (playing star wars heroes as main game now)
But don't expect performance is like high end tablets.

For around S$160 which i brought almost a year ago i think is worth it
Especially if those looking for basic usage(youtube, reading.. etc) and not trying to do customization

mamboeidos

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I owned a HD 8 as my secondary tablet when i charge my ipad.
So far i don't see any games that can't be played (playing star wars heroes as main game now)
But don't expect performance is like high end tablets.

For around S$160 which i brought almost a year ago i think is worth it
Especially if those looking for basic usage(youtube, reading.. etc) and not trying to do customization

ok thank !

cos my mom was previously nexus 7 but the battery n video call got prob so maybe get a fire 8 hd for her

starry_starry_night

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hoot with special offers or no special offers better?

Tbh even if remove the special offers (ads + screensavers), you also can't customised your own lock screen pic leh :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.