Skiing in Korea

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh... coz i saw those 1 day package all up till Feb. Anyone come across any skii package for middle of Mar?
MidMarch in the higher up resorts like YongPyong might still be possible, but like other posters have said, slushy melting snow is no fun to ski on. Early morning starts out icy (so there’s little resistance), then by early afternoon the sun turns everything to heavy, sticky, slush.

frostiee

Reaction score
Hi guys never been to Seoul before. Is Vivaldi park = YongPyong?
It seems like the number of piste is only at 13?

I went to the website and the package for a 1 day is as follow:
2017/18 SEASON PACKAGE
ONE DAY SKI TOUR PKG(Daytrip)
Package Details
VIVALDI PARK Free Shuttle bus
Ski Lift ticket (10:30 ~ 17:00)
Equipment Rental
Ski Suit Rental
※ Optional : KRW 20,000 (1 Hour basic Lesson/P.P)
KRW 89,000(Per Person)

Does the "Ski Suit" rental means Ski Jacket and Pants?

Last edited:

h0neystars

Reaction score
Hi guys never been to Seoul before. Is Vivaldi park = YongPyong?
It seems like the number of piste is only at 13?

I went to the website and the package for a 1 day is as follow:
2017/18 SEASON PACKAGE
ONE DAY SKI TOUR PKG(Daytrip)
Package Details
VIVALDI PARK Free Shuttle bus
Ski Lift ticket (10:30 ~ 17:00)
Equipment Rental
Ski Suit Rental
※ Optional : KRW 20,000 (1 Hour basic Lesson/P.P)
KRW 89,000(Per Person)

Does the "Ski Suit" rental means Ski Jacket and Pants?

Vivaldi Park and Yongpyong are different ski resorts. Yongpyong has more than 20 ski slopes and it's probably the biggest in Korea.
But Vivaldi seems not bad by reading this article: https://www.tripzilla.com/trazy-korea-winter-ski-resorts/69443

This page says, ski clothes include waterproof jacket and pants in the one day tour

feralslash

Reaction score
im thinking of doing a one day ski trip too. Is the 1 hr lesson enough? After that u are left on your own?

aromilk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The korea ski agent emailed me and said that Yongpyong will be opening their ski slopes this weekend. I believe Vivaldi is opening in the last week of November.

h0neystars

Reaction score
By looking at the itinerary here, Elysian Gangchon is good in terms of the travel time it's close to Seoul. You can reach the ski resort within 2 hours. But I heard Yongpyong is better for snow quality.

aromilk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
On the way to Yongpyong now. The trees along the highway outside seoul are all white with snow. It also snowed midway.

senser

Reaction score
On the way to Yongpyong now. The trees along the highway outside seoul are all white with snow. It also snowed midway.
hi, we are actually going to alpensia for 4 days mid dec, but only realise via online forum , due to 2018 olympic the ski facilities/waterpark, cinema etc are closed but alpensia did not inform those who booked! I read Yongpyong has some facilities/? gondola?some slopes closed, can you update more about YP when you there?I think we are not able to cancel, and when we called alpensia , they only speak korean..so sian, may have to stay alpensia and go YP for some ski(we first timers), if all alpensia people go YP, YP ski facilities should be crowded, no to mention lack of transport to YP from Alpensia...double sian..thanks!

kiryu86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i will be in YP for skii in dec 20++ .. following tour anyway.

hopefully no obstruction or cancellation since one of our hotel is at all season resort in YP

aromilk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi, we are actually going to alpensia for 4 days mid dec, but only realise via online forum , due to 2018 olympic the ski facilities/waterpark, cinema etc are closed but alpensia did not inform those who booked! I read Yongpyong has some facilities/? gondola?some slopes closed, can you update more about YP when you there?I think we are not able to cancel, and when we called alpensia , they only speak korean..so sian, may have to stay alpensia and go YP for some ski(we first timers), if all alpensia people go YP, YP ski facilities should be crowded, no to mention lack of transport to YP from Alpensia...double sian..thanks!

hey, i only booked a one day ski trip to YP. Only the beginner and intermediate slopes are opened to public. The other slopes are closed due to the winter olympics.

When we are here today, only 2 restaurants at YP are opened.

For the slopes, those i tried today are big and wide. Gradient is good. Not too steep and also not too flat. There not many skiiers today. Maybe around like 30 skiiers and snowboarders. So we had a lot of space to ski.

Weather was perfect. Sunny so could take lots of photos. As i type, i am on the bus back to seoul. In all, we skiied from 11 am till 4:15 pm. Breaking for a 30 min lunch.

aromilk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i will be in YP for skii in dec 20++ .. following tour anyway.

hopefully no obstruction or cancellation since one of our hotel is at all season resort in YP

YP has few hotels/apartment. It’s like RWS.

senser

Reaction score
hey, i only booked a one day ski trip to YP. Only the beginner and intermediate slopes are opened to public. The other slopes are closed due to the winter olympics.

When we are here today, only 2 restaurants at YP are opened.

For the slopes, those i tried today are big and wide. Gradient is good. Not too steep and also not too flat. There not many skiiers today. Maybe around like 30 skiiers and snowboarders. So we had a lot of space to ski.

Weather was perfect. Sunny so could take lots of photos. As i type, i am on the bus back to seoul. In all, we skiied from 11 am till 4:15 pm. Breaking for a 30 min lunch.

wow, 3hr to 3hr back , you must be hardcore skiier, most would choose those nearer seoul like 1 hr plus away instead of 3hrs away!

aromilk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow, 3hr to 3hr back , you must be hardcore skiier, most would choose those nearer seoul like 1 hr plus away instead of 3hrs away!

2.5 hrs each way. Was ok cos we started early. Plus YP is the only one that opened early. Those 1 hr away ones are opening in dec and by then, it would be crowded cos the of tourists and locals.

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2.5 hrs each way. Was ok cos we started early. Plus YP is the only one that opened early. Those 1 hr away ones are opening in dec and by then, it would be crowded cos the of tourists and locals.
Quoted for truth. I’ll be in Seoul from 20-31dec, the entire period yongpyong accommodation fully booked liao (even on weekdays) according to the few tour group organizers I contacted.

So bopian, gonna fall back to my original booking at daemyung vivaldi which is a much closer but also much smaller resort.

My travel party are all first timers so it probably ok for them, but it’s gonna be boring as hell for me cos i’m intermediate. oh well.

inlovewithsg

Reaction score
Ski lessons in YongPyong

Hi,

I booked 10 nights in Alpensia. Bad news is the ski slopes there are closed due to the Olympics. Good news is they seem to have a free shuttle in place between the Alpensia and YongPyong.

Not ideal, but since our hotel is not refundable, I'll commute with my son everyday.

The other bad news for us is that Alpensia ski school was accepting children from 5 years-old (reason why we initially booked there), but YongPyong ski school seem to only accept children from 5 years old (unless I pay for individual classes which are super expensive).

Is anyone aware of alternatives for ski lessons in YongPyong?

My son is 5 and it will be his second time skiing.

Thanks!

aromilk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I booked 10 nights in Alpensia. Bad news is the ski slopes there are closed due to the Olympics. Good news is they seem to have a free shuttle in place between the Alpensia and YongPyong.

Not ideal, but since our hotel is not refundable, I'll commute with my son everyday.

The other bad news for us is that Alpensia ski school was accepting children from 5 years-old (reason why we initially booked there), but YongPyong ski school seem to only accept children from 5 years old (unless I pay for individual classes which are super expensive).

Is anyone aware of alternatives for ski lessons in YongPyong?

My son is 5 and it will be his second time skiing.

Thanks!

IIRC, ski classes are conducted "independently" by outside coaches. To the resort, as long as you have purchase your ski pass, they wouldn't really care if you are having individual or group lessons. Of course, the ski resorts themselves offer lessons as well and that would be expensive.

Maybe you can try contacting Winterfriend to see if they can arrange lessons for your son? Most of the other ski tours goes thru' Winterfriend.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.