How to be more defensive when driving

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In fact 90% of accidents is due to drivers not checking blind spots, very hard to turn the head cause it is stuck? Even I check blind spots twice to make sure no jokers try to do some stunts.

Mogan23

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

grix17

Reaction score
Most important is to stay focused on your surroundings and anticipate other drivers' intentions. So many drivers don't signal or start drifting into your lane unintentionally.

Having smart phones in your view, especially on those stick-on holders is one way to distract you, even if it is not illegal.

Peripheral vision and regular checking of mirrors and blind spots can get you out of an accident which you can avoid, even if you are not directly involved.

icyflame

Master Member
Reaction score
Don't drive behind big vehicles as you cannot see beyond.

Try to drive while looking not at the vehicle in front of you only, but the vehicle (s) further in front.

This way, unless the front vehicle wanna delibrately sabo u, you will have more reaction time by looking at the movement of the vehicles further down

IcYFl4mEz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MANY motorcycle like to cut infront and your left side in a filter lane. take note of them, if you are stopping anbd checking your right side to see if you can move, dont accelerate as they might be stopping on your left while you are looking at your right side.

they ALWAYS do so.

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MANY motorcycle like to cut infront and your left side in a filter lane. take note of them, if you are stopping anbd checking your right side to see if you can move, dont accelerate as they might be stopping on your left while you are looking at your right side.

they ALWAYS do so.

I remember, quite vividly, that instructors taught us to stay as close as possible to the left kerb when making left turns. The reason is to prevent pesky motorcycles from creeping up from the left, thereby forcing them to move to the right.

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Found out that 25% of motor incidents actually involve teens! Here are some defensive driving tips for new drivers, hope it helps any of you guys!
1. NEVER use your phone while driving (Even a GPS could be risky)
2. Pay attention to ALL traffic lights
3. NEVER drive too closely behind another vehicle
4. Learn to drive in all wet conditions
5. Give others the right of way

Some evergreen tips for new and veteran drivers.
1) Do not be distracted by things inside the vehicle.
2) Do pay attention to surroundings.
3) Do not tailgate.
4) Do reduce speed in wet conditions.
5) Do not insist on your right of way if collisions can be avoided.

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't drive behind big vehicles as you cannot see beyond.

Try to drive while looking not at the vehicle in front of you only, but the vehicle (s) further in front.

This way, unless the front vehicle wanna delibrately sabo u, you will have more reaction time by looking at the movement of the vehicles further down

When possible, I'll position my vehicle slightly more to the left/right in order to see the vehicle further in front.

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most important is to stay focused on your surroundings and anticipate other drivers' intentions. So many drivers don't signal or start drifting into your lane unintentionally.

Having smart phones in your view, especially on those stick-on holders is one way to distract you, even if it is not illegal.

Peripheral vision and regular checking of mirrors and blind spots can get you out of an accident which you can avoid, even if you are not directly involved.

I'll put my palm on the horn, ready to sound when the lane is crossed.
It takes me just 2 seconds to determine if a driver is bad through the way he/she drives, and I wlll try to steer clear from them.

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

lapisgrater

Reaction score
Drive car/ lorry/ van also wrong, ride motorcycle also wrong, i think the 0% policy best leh. Saves us much trouble from defensive driving when there’s lesser cars on the road. And then instead of blaming car/lorry/van/motorcycle, now everyone can unite and blame the gahmen for creating trains that breakdown all the time

randyz

Reaction score
Found out that 25% of motor incidents actually involve teens! Here are some defensive driving tips for new drivers, hope it helps any of you guys!
1. NEVER use your phone while driving (Even a GPS could be risky)
2. Pay attention to ALL traffic lights
3. NEVER drive too closely behind another vehicle
4. Learn to drive in all wet conditions
5. Give others the right of way

And never even glance at your phone when there’s a notification :)

Lovelim26

Reaction score
Omg...grab become uber....didnt show destination n fares in today morning...anyone get it like me

LocalGod

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for me

1.put on hazard light if aim a lot to park and there's car behind

2. dont drive side by side on express way along a bus, lorry or big vehicle. in fact, keep left and right empty the best cos dunno if bend they will eat your lot or not.

3. when turn right in junction, dont assume opp vehicle are turning left even if they signal. sometimes they want to go straight and forget to turn off signal. yes u get horn so what?

4. some mscp very confusing and is one way, when move up to upper storey, look for the direction first before turning.

veryhonestguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No wonder cars always siam me far far

I'll put my palm on the horn, ready to sound when the lane is crossed.
It takes me just 2 seconds to determine if a driver is bad through the way he/she drives, and I wlll try to steer clear from them.

RadEoNic

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don’t drive near a bus when nearing exit
Nearly got into an accident when I was at midpoint of bus who swerved right cos he was running out of road to exit to highway
:mad:

MiG123

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Drivers here are so bad one can earn a good living by getting into well calculated collisions with them.

Alr earned one or two free holidays from old fogies who shouldn't be on the road, just make sure u invest in good cameras to cover all corners.

uniquely_ad

Reaction score
Check how much would it cost to fix on your own, if cheaper then fix it yourself before return. If higher then pay the excess

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.