Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

thwysg

Reaction score
Haha - thanks but I aint gona risk losing $1000 sword to custom...:s13:

Write in to customs before going to Japan and apply for the relevant papers and license/ permit from the relevant authorities. At least you can declare and show proof that you’ve gotten approval to get the swords.

https://www.customs.gov.sg/businesses/importing-goods/controlled-and-prohibited-goods-for-import#controlled

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
Write in to customs before going to Japan and apply for the relevant papers and license/ permit from the relevant authorities. At least you can declare and show proof that you’ve gotten approval to get the swords.

https://www.customs.gov.sg/business...ed-and-prohibited-goods-for-import#controlled

Thank you for your kind help. Call and check - must get license from SPF license branch wit admin cost. Wanted to email them but take 5 working days. License takes 7 days to approve. Tried calling their hotline to ask some quries but no one pick up. Haiz...

I guess I will go get the sword next year next trip le.

incredible99

Reaction score
I am in almost the same situation as you except that I am travelling to Kawaguchiko for 2 nights after a night in Hakone. I think for you case, a 2-day Hakone free pass will suffice.

I will be taking the train to Odawara and pick up the rented car from there. I am still contemplating if I should get the Hakone free pass even with the car. I am not sure if we will be missing out on the cable car, ropeway and ferry rides. And if some places are accessible with the rented car eg Owakudani. Can anyone care to advise?

Not that i can advise here but one thing to note if you want to hire a car in Hakone, make sure hotel provide car park ... I booked my car and now realised hotel got no car park! Also i found out parking charges around Hakone may not be cheap ... can anyone confirm?

Thanks

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I know what it was like in Karuizawa. The old town area have private car park that charge by entry (500 yen each entry).

for eateries that have some parking lots, they either take fee or expect ur patronage. The other more interesting aspect will be road tolls. Plan your routes carefully

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not that i can advise here but one thing to note if you want to hire a car in Hakone, make sure hotel provide car park ... I booked my car and now realised hotel got no car park! Also i found out parking charges around Hakone may not be cheap ... can anyone confirm?

Thanks

It should be cheaper compared to Tokyo. Usually hotels can recommend public parking spaces nearby.

carey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just booked our tickets to Tokyo (Haneda)

Is staying at Shinjuku good?

Will be in Tokyo for 4 days and then going to Osaka for 3 days before flying out from there

What pass should I get?

Planning to go DisneySea and USJ

I read online that I don't need to get a JR pass since I am not coming back to Tokyo...is that true?

TIA :)

boopit

Reaction score
Have about 2 weeks in Japan (apr), went Osaka and Kyoto before
is the timeline before ok ?

Land in Osaka (8pm) and staying there for 4 nights
planning to go Hiroshima (1 day), Himeiji (1 day), Kyoto (1 day)

Travel to Toyama
2 nights in Toyama

1 night in Murudo
Hike Murudo
Alpine route (1 day) end at Tokyo

Tokyo 7 nights, of which 2 days will be in Mt Fuji.
Rest of the days doing touristy stuff in Tokyo as I have never been there before.

thwysg

Reaction score
Have about 2 weeks in Japan (apr), went Osaka and Kyoto before
is the timeline before ok ?

Land in Osaka (8pm) and staying there for 4 nights
planning to go Hiroshima (1 day), Himeiji (1 day), Kyoto (1 day)

Travel to Toyama
2 nights in Toyama

1 night in Murudo
Hike Murudo
Alpine route (1 day) end at Tokyo

Tokyo 7 nights, of which 2 days will be in Mt Fuji.
Rest of the days doing touristy stuff in Tokyo as I have never been there before.

Need to check if the whole Alpine Route is opened on your travel dates. If you’re traveling in late April, it should be open. Murodo is part of Alpine Route.

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

thwysg

Reaction score
Personally, I do not like it. Smaller rooms, noisy streets and more expensive. U transfer less trains I guess but if you are taking only Yamanote then difference is minimal

Train pass you pretty much just need a suica card

think abt the above or similar for the trip to Osaka

Actually depends on which part of Shinjuku you’re staying. Hilton, Hyatt Regency and Keio Plaza are on a quieter area and come with bigger rooms. I’ve not stayed in CST but friends with children like staying there. Sunroute Plaza have smaller rooms but you can always book the bigger ones and likewise for JR Kyushu, the single rooms actually are quite big though a little more pricey.

boopit

Reaction score
Need to check if the whole Alpine Route is opened on your travel dates. If you’re traveling in late April, it should be open. Murodo is part of Alpine Route.

ya I going late April around 18 Apr.
Was thinking of hiking around midagahara for 1 day

incredible99

Reaction score
I know what it was like in Karuizawa. The old town area have private car park that charge by entry (500 yen each entry).

for eateries that have some parking lots, they either take fee or expect ur patronage. The other more interesting aspect will be road tolls. Plan your routes carefully

Sorry for not clarifying ... I plan to rent a car in Hakone and not Karuizawa.

If we buy the Hakone Pass and go the normal train (not paying extra for Romance car) where should i pick up my rental car - Odawara station on Hakone-Yumoto?

Thanks

Crescy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
made a rough itinerary for my coming trip. open to valuable feedbacks, or any possible problems i might face.

Day 1
Osaka – Arrival at Nagoya, then train to Osaka. Shinsaibashisuji, Dontonbori, Kuromon Ichiba

Day 2
Himeji/Kobe/Osaka – Himeji Castle, kobe for a meal(maybe), back to Osaka. Spa World

Day 3
Osaka – haven’t plan yet

Day 4
Kyoto – Leave Osaka for Kyoto in the morning. Haven’t plan anything for the day yet.

Day 5
Kyoto – Ginkakuji, Kurama hike+onsen

Day 6
Kanazawa – morning train from Kyoto to kanazawa, Kenroku-en, sleep 1 night

Day 7
Morning from Kanazawa take a bus to Shirakawa Village, explore, then bus to Takayama

Day 8
Finding out how to go to Kiso Valley from Takayama. Thinking of visiting Narai > Tsumago > Magome. Will stay over at one of the towns.

Day 9
Continue down Kiso Valley heading back to Nagoya for the night.

Day 10
Nagoya – Nagoya Castle, Atsuta Shrine, Ise Grand Shrine(maybe)

Day 11
Morning flight back home.

Toiletpaper80

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my wife and i wanted to bring our 3yrs old to japan. Its our first time there, and planning to start & end in tokyo around mid apr 18.
Total of 10 nights.

This is rough initial planning.

1. Tokyo stay 3 nights
- Disneyland. Buy from klook
- day trip to fuji Q, five lakes of fuji , take picture of mt Fuji, thomas train theme park.

Shinkasen to kyoto

2. Kyoto stay 5 nights
- Sagano Scenic Railway
- day trip to osaka
- osaka aquarium
- day trip to Himeji Castle
- Sento Imperial Palace
- Fushimi Inari Shrine

3. Tokyo stay 2 nights
- shopping

Some questions.
1. [Tokyo] Stay around Shinagawa Station? It seems easily accessible to kyoto and haneda airport. Being first time in japan, with a 3 yrs old

2. Any nice accommodation or places of interest to recommend for the whole trips? We are looking for scenic and kids friendly iternaries

3. Intending to get 7 days jr pass for the middle of our trip, as it covers to and fro kyoto. Anything i must look out for?

Thanks in advance~

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX 2 using GAGT

daranic

Reaction score
Sorry for not clarifying ... I plan to rent a car in Hakone and not Karuizawa.

If we buy the Hakone Pass and go the normal train (not paying extra for Romance car) where should i pick up my rental car - Odawara station on Hakone-Yumoto?

Thanks

If I buy the Hakone Pass (which was my initial plan), I will pick up the car at Hakone Yumoto and return at Odawara. From Odarawa you can take a train back to Tokyo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.