IT Fair in Singapore has lost its meaning (ever?)

hoganglenn

Reaction score
Haven't been spending anything in the past few fairs. Thanks to the exhibitors. The price is never right or the stock is never available. Some local exhibitors only keep its presence, fairs after fairs, but if you wanna buy from them you need to wait 4-6 weeks for delivery. It's just a total waste of time and resources.

jas1701

Master Member
Reaction score
This year sitex i visited take less than 20mins i walk out already. I went today at around 1pm and expect to be crowded like what hall 5 n 6 use to be. But when I walk into hall, very surprised that I can walk quite freely except those credt card hunters keep asking 1 after another spreading all around the hall.

Kusanagi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually the crowd has always been poorer at EXPO, location is 1 factor
the sprawling space in the expo hall is another reason why it seems more "empty"

tivo88

Reaction score
Haven't been spending anything in the past few fairs. Thanks to the exhibitors. The price is never right or the stock is never available. Some local exhibitors only keep its presence, fairs after fairs, but if you wanna buy from them you need to wait 4-6 weeks for delivery. It's just a total waste of time and resources.

Agree, in time to come all retailers will launch their own Sitex Website Sale

El Hadji Diouf

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The atmosphere is also one thing. A decade ago IT Fairs were very 'entertaining' with the presence of event showgirls. I bet those old bird would remember the Sony showgirls during the period of 2007-2010 in Suntec level 3. And they even have the tech showcase in which the showgirls walked around the stage show showing the latest Sony products just like the IT Show/ COMEX Babes 2-3 years back.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
full of credit card and insurance agents

disgusting

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
No.1 problem is rising costs.

Something has got to give and it now solely focusses on the true reason to hold these shows - to move inventory and create sales.

If perhaps they make it more controlled, charge people entry fees like NATAS, maybe the rental might be lower and thus the brands can spend on other frills to beef up their presence.

However, a lot of these shows are now primarily participated by retailers and distributors - not many brands are directly investing to create their own presence at these shows. They will tie up with a retailer of choice to ensure their goods are sold.

Chicken and egg problem.

The atmosphere is also one thing. A decade ago IT Fairs were very 'entertaining' with the presence of event showgirls. I bet those old bird would remember the Sony showgirls during the period of 2007-2010 in Suntec level 3. And they even have the tech showcase in which the showgirls walked around the stage show showing the latest Sony products just like the IT Show/ COMEX Babes 2-3 years back.

seePyou

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Back in those days, we only had 1 IT show a year and it was glorious.
Pepperidge Farm Remembers

reno77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
People's aspirations also rising..last time got rewritable dvd drive ppl including me queue for 2-3 hours..

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
deals are not even good in the first place.

whatever things i can get at the show. i can get it same price at SLS or even lower.

Qoo10, Lazada & Amazon has it as well. pay via CC still can earn cashback.

no need to squeeze, find parking lot, carry heavy stuffs all the way to the car. where as i can just pay maybe $10 flat for the courier to ship it to me.

ez.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

whatever things i can get at the show. i can get it same price at SLS or even lower.

no need to squeeze, find parking lot, carry heavy stuffs all the way to the car. where as i can just pay maybe $10 flat for the courier to ship it to me.

ez.

I found that singapore online stores like lazada, qoo10's price are much better compared to the show, not to mention taobao or other online stores.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

ez.

For this fair most items on their price lists are quite expensive. Even HP old model notebook already end of life and not selling on HP store online, they are still selling at standard price without discount at all. Can see that they are just trying to sell the old stock with no discount.

Last edited:

ronnie_gogs

Reaction score
Depends on what is being offered...Most deals are pretty bad and I can find same or better prices online. For example Samsung stuff I can find at exact same offered prices in the show on amazon prime and get it delivered to my home in a few hours.

However I do sometimes go to shows if the deal is unique for example I like the prices for Audio technica, Sennheiser and Sony audio product prices offered by the parent Singapore direct company. No online vendor was able to beat the prices I found in the show not even american amazon. Audio technica has official store on lazada and it is one of the cheapest for Audio technica products but they offered cheaper than that in some shows.

For normal stuff like laptops, cameras there are far better deals outside IT shows.

mikezuper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My only qualm is if they hold it at Expo.

Already lost at least 1.5hr for transport to and fro - whatever gain you get straight away lost liao.

m/mink

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Walk in also not sure credit card, insurance or IT show. :s8:
The last one at SITEX, I get more of the 2 former than IT related stuff.

Ringwraiths

Master Member
Reaction score

Lol there are more CC / Insurance Booths rather than IT booths..And the IT booths day in day out the products are sama sama..No new products etc so actually what the point of going?

If at Suntec (Near My office) i might just dropby take a look which is normally less than 1hr walkabout...@ Expo forget it ..cos long way to Expo and furthermore parking is Damn @ there

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lol there are more CC / Insurance Booths rather than IT booths..And the IT booths day in day out the products are sama sama..No new products etc so actually what the point of going?

If at Suntec (Near My office) i might just dropby take a look which is normally less than 1hr walkabout...@ Expo forget it ..cos long way to Expo and furthermore parking is Damn @ there

Some products even more expensive than HN and Courts. Forget about it when i saw the price list.

Lonewolf83

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Worse still, walk past them, tell them not interested and they still challenge you why you not interested. Seriously cannot get the idea that their presence is not welcomed :s8:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.