Recommend Business laptop/ultrabook

winter_lai_liao

Reaction score
Hi all, would want to buy business laptop for software testing (multiple DBs running) and also office work like emails and some coding(VB)

can anyone recommend me a model. would be travelling with it hence ultrabook would be a better choice, but i dont want to compromise performance

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Call up Dell/HP/Lenovo for quote
Here mostly can only recommend consumer notebooks.
Not to mention business notebook prices are much higher due to Onsite warranty.
Consumer cheaper but carry in warranty.

Rock-kun

Reaction score
Is an enterprise laptop a requirement?

Sometimes it makes more economic sense to get a consumer-grade machine with identical hardware specifications.

But, who am I to say that when I only go for enterprise notebooks myself.

winter_lai_liao

Reaction score
ok maybe i should say consumer laptop/ultrabook but using it for business/office work mainly. the Dell and lenovo business workstation laptops(inclusive of QUADRO graphics etc) are not required.

Im using my own money hence a nice consumer laptop would suffice

narkizy

Reaction score
ok maybe i should say consumer laptop/ultrabook but using it for business/office work mainly. the Dell and lenovo business workstation laptops(inclusive of QUADRO graphics etc) are not required.

Im using my own money hence a nice consumer laptop would suffice

The work you mention isnt very intensive on the computer anyway so i think a normal high-specced laptop is sufficient.

Any normal ultrabook with a 8th gen coffeelake U processor can quite easily handle what you're talking about. A great example would be the refreshed XPS 13, spectre x360, mi book air, Razer Blade Stealth etc. Very thin and small with sufficient power. Dun think the Blade Stealth has been refreshed though, still running a 7th gen chip.

If you dont mind a slightly heavier and bigger but much more powerful 'ultra book variant' there's the XPS 15, Razer blade, Prime 15 etc. Still slim and light but being 15.6inchers(except the Razer) they're still bulky. Packs 7700HQ chips and 10 series dGPUs that easily handle almost anything you throw at them.

I'd say just get a refreshed XPS 13 tho since you dont need the dGPU power and portability seems to be your main concern. Dell's XPS series is the BEST, probably second only to Apple in build quality for the ultrabook range. Pretty good consumer cust service too.

Last edited:

winter_lai_liao

Reaction score
The work you mention isnt very intensive on the computer anyway so i think a normal high-specced laptop is sufficient.

Any normal ultrabook with a 8th gen coffeelake U processor can quite easily handle what you're talking about. A great example would be the refreshed XPS 13, spectre x360, mi book air, Razer Blade Stealth etc. Very thin and small with sufficient power. Dun think the Blade Stealth has been refreshed though, still running a 7th gen chip.

If you dont mind a slightly heavier and bigger but much more powerful 'ultra book variant' there's the XPS 15, Razer blade, Prime 15 etc. Still slim and light but being 15.6inchers(except the Razer) they're still bulky. Packs 7700HQ chips and 10 series dGPUs that easily handle almost anything you throw at them.

I'd say just get a refreshed XPS 13 tho since you dont need the dGPU power and portability seems to be your main concern. Dell's XPS series is the BEST, probably second only to Apple in build quality for the ultrabook range. Pretty good consumer cust service too.

Thanks so much for your recommendation! i think i maybe looking at XPS 15 cos of the larger screen size and its only slightly heavier

meowth82

Reaction score
U may consider Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon. Is an ultrabook and business grade. I found there is user selling on Carousel and the price is reasonable. The weight only 1.2kg

narkizy

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your recommendation! i think i maybe looking at XPS 15 cos of the larger screen size and its only slightly heavier

The XPS 15 also has the biggest laptop battery(97wh), thunderbolt 3, and a fairly strong 1050 ti GPU in a very slim and light profile so it basically covers everything, BUT its very expensive.

Since you said you're paying on your own idk if price becomes an issue. Cheapest in sg goes for ard 2.6kish-3kish.

You can check out Dave2D's review if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAiH6rdr78Q&t=326s

winter_lai_liao

Reaction score
U may consider Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon. Is an ultrabook and business grade. I found there is user selling on Carousel and the price is reasonable. The weight only 1.2kg

will take that into consdieration as well, but its kinda plasticky imo

The XPS 15 also has the biggest laptop battery(97wh), thunderbolt 3, and a fairly strong 1050 ti GPU in a very slim and light profile so it basically covers everything, BUT its very expensive.

Since you said you're paying on your own idk if price becomes an issue. Cheapest in sg goes for ard 2.6kish-3kish.

You can check out Dave2D's review if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAiH6rdr78Q&t=326s

looks good, but how about comparing it to ASUS ZenBook 3 Deluxe (UX490UA)? i like that blue and sleek look with that aluminum finish, though theres alot of bad reviews..

im in no rush to get the ultrabook, and will likely get it next year after feb

narkizy

Reaction score
will take that into consdieration as well, but its kinda plasticky imo

looks good, but how about comparing it to ASUS ZenBook 3 Deluxe (UX490UA)? i like that blue and sleek look with that aluminum finish, though theres alot of bad reviews..

im in no rush to get the ultrabook, and will likely get it next year after feb

The UX490UA is in fact a ultrabook so comparison against the XPS 15 is abit off(a U processor versus a full 7700 HQ processor and a dedicated GPU), not to mention it has a smaller 14 in screen and is lighter.

You should compare it against the XPS 13 instead since both have similar specs tho the XPS 13 has a 13 in screen. I guess for me its just a personal pref but I've always loved the business yet still premium/cool look the XPS line has. Not to mention DBrand makes custom skins specially only for Dell/Apple lol.

XPS 13 vs UX490 and XPS15 VS UX550VE.

When a smaller company stretches itself thin by launching so many ultrabook models(the UX series is horribly numerous and nonsensical) it becomes questionable on how much effort they can put into each model so build quality may be an issue. If there are many legit bad reviews on a laptop in the first place I'd would avoid the laptop completely. Personally i dont trust how Asus is rushing out their laptops just to compete with Dell.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
At the price of XPS, rather get quote for Vostro/Latitude.
Some model cost about $1.3k onwards.
I even saw a Dell Latitude going for $899 at Newstead.
However whether is it refurbished unit or not I do not know.

narkizy

Reaction score
At the price of XPS, rather get quote for Vostro/Latitude.
Some model cost about $1.3k onwards.
I even saw a Dell Latitude going for $899 at Newstead.
However whether is it refurbished unit or not I do not know.

Yeah it'd be better if OP told us his budget. The XPS line is bloody expensive and really not for someone who doesnt wanna splurge.

The Mi Book pro looks v good too actually, as thin as a zen book but with 8th gen CPU and the mx150 dGPU for just 1.3k sgd. No idea on the reviews tho. Abit risky seeing as its XiaoMi's first laptop and theres no warranty

Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
im comfortable with spending up to 2.8k after march 2018

How many unit you need?
For your usage just a Dell Latitude with i7 will do.
Some models don't hit $2.8k unless we are talking about mobile workstation.
You can take a look at roughly the prices of Latitude.

http://www.server2u.sg/index.php?route=product/search&search=dell latitude

However business prices are subjective according to business type, how many unit you need. configuration (Business one can customize
and add things like 4G WWAN card for use with SIM card which
consumer laptop doesn't have)

Treat those prices with a pinch of salt especially if you intend to
buy multiple units or a different specs in mind.

winter_lai_liao

Reaction score
How many unit you need?
For your usage just a Dell Latitude with i7 will do.
Some models don't hit $2.8k unless we are talking about mobile workstation.
You can take a look at roughly the prices of Latitude.

http://www.server2u.sg/index.php?route=product/search&search=dell latitude

However business prices are subjective according to business type, how many unit you need. configuration (Business one can customize
and add things like 4G WWAN card for use with SIM card which
consumer laptop doesn't have)

Treat those prices with a pinch of salt especially if you intend to
buy multiple units or a different specs in mind.

i only need one unit for myself, i guess do not require those 'business' functions that u mentioned. No need GPU, just a fast CPU for multi tasking with coding and databases

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i only need one unit for myself, i guess do not require those 'business' functions that u mentioned. No need GPU, just a fast CPU for multi tasking with coding and databases

Business function? Business laptop and consumer laptop are
different not to mention their specs.
Your requirement is need a i7 with Intel HD which business laptop
like Dell Latitude should fit you well.

If you don't want to call to get quote, than Dell showroom at
Marina Square have both business range and consumer range
for you to look at.

At the most near $2k only, don't need till $2.8k.
Than you add a dock so you can undock your laptop easily
if you need to go onsite/other locations.

Cheers.

winter_lai_liao

Reaction score
Business function? Business laptop and consumer laptop are
different not to mention their specs.
Your requirement is need a i7 with Intel HD which business laptop
like Dell Latitude should fit you well.

If you don't want to call to get quote, than Dell showroom at
Marina Square have both business range and consumer range
for you to look at.

At the most near $2k only, don't need till $2.8k.
Than you add a dock so you can undock your laptop easily
if you need to go onsite/other locations.

Cheers.

thanks for the advice, will check out the showroom sometime

winter_lai_liao

Reaction score
or you can buy my xps13 :)
professional onsite warranty till 2019.

i no rush to buy now eh, maybe in april next year. im looking at those open house too. i think public can just enter the sch for their road show. Asiapac if i m not wrong

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.