[Official] Playstation 4 PS4 club - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded an EXTERNAL ps4 hdd before? Let's say the current external USB hdd (used for storing games) is A and the new one is B (bigger capacity)...

- Is there an option to plug in both at the same time and just copy directly from A to B?

- Do I have to redownload everything all over again, onto B this time?

- Can I do this: move some games from A to ps4 internal hdd (depending how much space is available on the internal hdd), detach A properly, attach B, move those games from internal hdd to B; detach B, attach A, move more back to internal hdd... , repeat the process.

TIA.
No...that is not possible.

Have to redo

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
looking at the current state of Warframe,...this seems like a much better and deeper game than Destiny sia.....
:s22:

yes...it definitely is...

been playing warframe since launch...it's like a totally different game now..

and free to boot.

yes, there's alot of grind...but the grind is one of the fairest in f2p games.

the only thing against warframe is it can be extremely intimidating and confusing to new players.

the number of systems, mods and whatnot piling on top of the game can be very overwhelming for noobs. and the initial tutorial ain't helping much.

Trueblue82

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
funny how the press keep hyping Destiny but nv try to compare it with Warframe:s11:

yes...it definitely is...

been playing warframe since launch...it's like a totally different game now..

and free to boot.

yes, there's alot of grind...but the grind is one of the fairest in f2p games.

the only thing against warframe is it can be extremely intimidating and confusing to new players.

the number of systems, mods and whatnot piling on top of the game can be very overwhelming for noobs. and the initial tutorial ain't helping much.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
why not juz buy like 6GB external hdd? problem solved
I assume you mean 6TB, not 6GB. Even though I am 100% on digital, 6TB would be an overkill. There is absolutely no need for me to have everything downloaded onto my PS4.

I am currently using 1TB and ordered a 4TB (sian, still havent shipped since black friday). The problem/question was how do I transfer the current 1TB of downloaded contents onto the new 4TB. (Buying a 6TB doesn't solve the problem, it IS the problem!)

Based on lordlad0's reply, looks like have to re-download all 1TB again, can't move chunks back to internal hdd and use that as intermediate storage for transferring between A and B.

j4nfz1981

Reaction score
I am relatively new to ps4. Bought a few digital games via singapore ps store during sales. Search online and understand the following. If I set my console to be a primary console. In an event that my harddisk crashed or ps4 dies, 1) i will just need to buy a new ps4 or new harddisk. 2) go sony online to deactivate the primary ps4. Then, activate new console or harddisk. 3) log in to psn using existing account. 4) redownloaded games that i have purchased digitally via psn. Am i right? If not the digital copies will be wasted.. Each time i buy games online, jin scare ps4 spoil. The sales n discounts made buying addictive, keep buying but no time to play. Hahah. . And lastly, if i run out space, i can just delete the purchased games n download anytime n repeat whenever right? Gt limit?

Last edited:

Lemon Porter

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am relatively new to ps4. Bought a few digital games via singapore ps store during sales. Search online and understand the following. If I set my console to be a primary console. In an event that my harddisk crashed or ps4 dies, 1) i will just need to buy a new ps4 or new harddisk. 2) go sony online to deactivate the primary ps4. Then, activate new console or harddisk. 3) log in to psn using existing account. 4) redownloaded games that i have purchased digitally via psn. Am i right? If not the digital copies will be wasted.. Each time i buy games online, jin scare ps4 spoil. And lastly, if i run out space, i can just delete the purchased games n download anytime n repeat whenever right? Gt limit?

Digital copies is tag to your psn. i.e, you can access to your games in your primary console and log into your psn in “secondary” console.

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I assume you mean 6TB, not 6GB. Even though I am 100% on digital, 6TB would be an overkill. There is absolutely no need for me to have everything downloaded onto my PS4.

I am currently using 1TB and ordered a 4TB (sian, still havent shipped since black friday). The problem/question was how do I transfer the current 1TB of downloaded contents onto the new 4TB. (Buying a 6TB doesn't solve the problem, it IS the problem!)

Based on lordlad0's reply, looks like have to re-download all 1TB again, can't move chunks back to internal hdd and use that as intermediate storage for transferring between A and B.
yes...that's correct, the ps4 can only use one external storage formatted for apps/games at any one time...thus cannot do the process you wanted.

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
funny how the press keep hyping Destiny but nv try to compare it with Warframe:s11:
because warframe is not a 'new' game unlike destiny 2 (it existed since 4 years ago) and also is a free2play game..

regardless of press coverage, Warframe is doing pretty well by itself and its player base. It's constantly in top 10 free2play most played games on Steam and PSN...not a small feat especially on steam where the competition includes CS:GO & DOTA2. If you think about it, the press barely mentioned CS:GO other than those gambling scandals and DOTA2 other than the tournaments. It's the same thing.

Zakhri32

Reaction score
New PS4 owner here, bought during Cyber Monday for 299, been loving it so far. Currently playing most of the PS4 exclusive games :D

DARTHNERD

Master Member
Reaction score
I thought you can backup to ext harddisk and restore it on another PS4 or the replaced HDD in the PS4? I managed to did it once when I upgrade from 500 GB to 2TB HDD for my ps4 slim.

just take note if you have PS+ just backup all the saved games.

Unless you are talking about the games you save to ext drive? Then the best bet is to clone the drive which it should work in theory.

Let me know if you need more info.

Last edited:

GotBetrayed

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Don’t need redownload. Everything can be transferred to hdd except game saves. I transferred my stuff to my 4tb external hdd too. Just manage storage in your PS4.

Gametaku

Master Member
Reaction score
Don’t need redownload. Everything can be transferred to hdd except game saves. I transferred my stuff to my 4tb external hdd too. Just manage storage in your PS4.

Cant be done. He wants to trsf from external to external. Not internal to external.

leroy85

Reaction score
can plug both HDD into a comp and clone the HDD? then when the bigger cap disk u can delete any game u dont want?

lorettatay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where to buy remote controller for ps4? Wanna watch br on it.

Sent from Google PIXEL 2 XL using GAGT

diubum

Reaction score
hi, new ps4 owner here. if i log in PSN which subscribes to US PS+ and play FIFA, will i be playing with asia or us players?

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can plug both HDD into a comp and clone the HDD? then when the bigger cap disk u can delete any game u dont want?
that will take ages...

When you format your External HDD in PS4, it actually encrypt the hard drive on the bock level. So if you want to clone your HDD, it is literally cloning block by block...which if it's anything more than 2TB...will take 10+ hours. Might as well just re-download everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.