Interactive Brokers - SGD now available for funding

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Today I made my first purchase of IWDA on IB and I want to double check with you experienced user if I made any mistakes.

I deposited 7500SGD through FAST which showed up in my IB account almost immediatly.

The first question (which seems to be a common one) is about the foreign exchange:

I used the web interface to buy USD.SGD. I wanted to buy up USD for all my SGD so I divided the 7500 with the ask price and ended up with an order for 5572USD. Now the only option I had for the target exchange was IDEALPRO. I submitted the trade and ended up a position of 5572USD.

I'm a bit confused about this. Do I have a virtual position in USD or do I own actually dollars at this stage? And in the end, what is the difference between a virtual position and a "real" position so to speak? I saw in some other post that I should choose FXCONV to get actual USD but there was no such option to choose from in the web gui.

Buying the stock was pretty straightforward. I found IWDA denominated in USD and put an order of 104 units. I recieved a warning though, saying its highly recommended not to make orders without subscribing to live data for the actual market. What should I make of this warning? Is it necessary to subscribe to real time data for just monthly purchasing of two ETFs?

A final question. In my summary window I have two sections, Position and Portfolio, both listing my IDEALPRO USD and IWDA stocks. What is the difference between position and portfolio in this case?

Thanks for a superb thread!

Use the TWS (desktop) version to do your FXCONV trade.

Since you deposited $7,500 SGD, your equivalent USD value will be 7.5k / USD.SGD. Divide by the share price of IWDA, that will be the number of shares that you need to buy.

Submit an order using limit order. Don't choose market order! You can ignore the warning. You can use the live prices elsewhere. Pick the ask price as the limit order to execute immediately.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh yes. can be done through DBS.
last time cannot transfer through internet.

do you know when they started this system?
it looks great.

Last time you are talking like 1 decade ago?

For the past few years, it has been possible.

maxinger

Reaction score
strange .... are you guys trading sgp stocks and sgp simsci futures through IB?

i know we can't trade sgp simsci futures because it is in singpore denomination due to MAS regulation

maxinger

Reaction score
Hi All

Quick question about account opening.

They stated that I needed to deposit $10,000 USD before the application is complete.

However, I just transferred $1 SGD in and they sent me an email stating that my application is complete.

Does that mean that I no longer need to transfer the rest and can immediately start trading?

that is strange.
anyway, you can't trade with only S$1 in your trading account.
You need to check initial margin of whatever financial instruments you are going to trade.

PholkLorr

Reaction score
I didn't set up a margin account at ib, how come it keeps sending me emails and alerts like this "Margin cushion: 0.46% remaining (UXXX1234)"

What does it mean?

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ignore these messages. I also get them sometimes. Their alert system is very bad. I sometimes get messages that my account is down 4k, just after transfering 4k into IB.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

Rubberdino

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m a noob with IB but decided to take the plunge and drop my custodian fee charging DBS vickers.
Is it just me but it seems the learning curve is very steep. I have a few questions.

1) i just deposited a small amount around 9K SGD into IBKR to test drive. If I want to buy a USD denominated stock listed in the US, must I convert my sgd to usd? Or will IBKR auto convert the base currency to settle the transaction.

2) I tried converting sgd to usd using IdealPro like what the YouTube tutorial showed. But the only currency pairs that were offered were sgd.cnh and sgd.jpy. Does it mean I have to do something silly like convert sgd to jpy then jpy to usd?

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m a noob with IB but decided to take the plunge and drop my custodian fee charging DBS vickers.
Is it just me but it seems the learning curve is very steep. I have a few questions.

1) i just deposited a small amount around 9K SGD into IBKR to test drive. If I want to buy a USD denominated stock listed in the US, must I convert my sgd to usd? Or will IBKR auto convert the base currency to settle the transaction.

2) I tried converting sgd to usd using IdealPro like what the YouTube tutorial showed. But the only currency pairs that were offered were sgd.cnh and sgd.jpy. Does it mean I have to do something silly like convert sgd to jpy then jpy to usd?
1)You will have to convert SGD to USD, unless you upgraded to a margin account, in which case you can keep margin money in any currency and trade in any currency. The currency in which you have negative balance you will be charged a nominal interest.

2) To convert SGD to USD is very easy. You can do it via your mobile app as well. In the watch list search for USD, then among the instruments select Forex then you will find the USDSGD pair. You have to buy this instrument to convert SGD to USD.

Also base currency has no significance in IB other than for reporting purposes as well as charging to various fees, they come from your base currency bucket. You can change your base currency as well to any currency.

IB appears to be daunting initially, but actually for occasional investors like us, you don't need to learn 100% of it. There are some basics you learn. Just use Google and there many other international forums also that have a lot of information.

Also, before doing any real trade, do some paper trading, by logging into their demo including for currency conversion. You will get a picture of what will actually happen.
1BCKhNXl.png

Last edited:

moonstomper333

Reaction score
That’s not a requirement. Either currency conversion path works for these purposes.

So both ways are equivalent for these types of trades? What's the difference of FXCONV and IDEALPRO? I've tried searching but cannot find any information about FXCONV.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So both ways are equivalent for these types of trades? What's the difference of FXCONV and IDEALPRO? I've tried searching but cannot find any information about FXCONV.
When you do it via the mobile app using idealpro, it creates a virtual fx position, in your portfolio. So you can see how much profit/loss you made on the FX trade. When you don't via FXCONV, using the desktop app, it doesn't create any such virtual position.

So the difference is only from a reporting perspective.

Queen77

Reaction score
Yes. Or possibly SGD to EUR, EUR to HKD. Any path that Interactive Brokers supports can work, but USD is probably the best one.

Currency loss, no. SGD-HKD direct is a much lower volume currency pair, so bid-ask spreads would be correspondingly higher in that alternative universe. Indeed, your credit card network (Visa, MasterCard, etc.) will do exactly the same thing, especially when the direct currency conversion market is not big enough for their needs. And you do the same thing, presumably. When you work, somebody pays you Singapore dollars for your labor services, and then you take those Singapore dollars and exchange them for coffee, for example. Hypothetically it would be nice if you could exchange your labor services directly for a cup of coffee — wouldn’t that be nice and “efficient”? — but there is no practical financial market for that particular barter exchange. So we have intermediate means of exchange, and in this example it’s Singapore dollars. Likewise, the intermediate means of exchange at IB between Singapore dollars and Hong Kong dollars is the U.S. dollar. (Or some other big currency, perhaps.)

However, there is a broker commission for each leg of the exchange, so the commission is approximately doubled. You’re still vanishingly unlikely to find a lower total currency conversion cost anywhere else, but, comparing IB against itself, that particular currency pair will require double commissions.

I understand now. Thanks for the clarification!

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

There are differences. Otherwise, IB won't be explaining the differences. They are published in their website. Use Google to search.

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/...toring/fx_portfolio_-_virtual_fx_position.htm

If you don't want to see the FX virtual currency position, just use the FXCONV.

Your account’s actual currency balances are shown in the Market Value – Real FX Balances section of the account window.

Alphaen

Reaction score
I'm new to IB. When I tried to submit an order I got a No trading permissions error. IB requires me to execute at least 100 trades in any kind of stock before I can qualify as customer. But how do I do that if I have no trading permissions?

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT

J_Vansen_S

Reaction score
oh Dear, lotsa EU regulations now!?

Received this bulletin this morning

Dear Interactive Brokers Client,

We have recently written to you to inform you that on 3 January 2018 the MIFIR Regulation goes live and imposes new identification requirements for clients.

In our previous communication, we have highlighted the importance for you to complete the MiFIR Information Update form and how failing to completing the form will have an impact on your ability to use our services.

However, our records show that you have not yet completed the "MiFIR Information Update" form.
Please update your details in our Account Management System by completing the "MiFIR Information Update" form.

Please note that ORGANISATION accounts need to have a Legal Entity Identifier (“LEI”). If you are an organisation and you do not have an LEI yet, you can request one through IB.
PLEASE NOTE THAT OBTAINING AN LEI CAN TAKE UP TO THREE WEEKS.

Please note that ONLY accounts that have successfully completed the "MiFIR Information Update" form will be allowed to continue trading after 3 January 2018.

Kind regards,
IBUK

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How come I didn't get this kind of communication? Are you EU resident?

Alphaen

Reaction score
I'm new to IB. When I tried to submit an order I got a No trading permissions error. IB requires me to execute at least 100 trades in any kind of stock before I can qualify as customer. But how do I do that if I have no trading permissions?

Anyone can help? Sorry noob here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.