Starhub Cisco DPC3925 + ASUS AC56U: Can ping, cannot traceroute

vurtomatic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, hope someone can help me out.

I was away from home for a while and recently returned to an odd setup:

We have Starhub cable at home, using the provided Cisco DPC 3925 modem and an Asus AC56U router. I'm connected to the wifi on a Mac.

From my wifi info, I can see the router IP is 192.168.212.1. I enter that into my browser and it brings me to the Cisco DPC3925's webpage :s11: If I'm connected to the Asus router's wifi, shouldn't the router IP my Mac is reporting belong to the Asus?

I can ping 192.168.212.1 but I can't run traceroute on it :s11:

On top of that, at the Cisco's page, entering the default login doesn't work so I'm stumped.

I can't access the Asus since I don't know its IP, and I can't access the Cisco since I don't have the login :s22:

(This is via wifi, I need to buy an ethernet-thunderbolt dongle to try a physical connection but I'm not sure if a wire connection will solve the above.)

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Do you have an android/apple phone? install an app called Fing. It can scan and show the IP address of devices on the network you are connected on.
either that or do "ifconfig/all" on your mac

btw by default the IP for an asus router is 192.168.1.1 or go to router.asus.com

Last edited:

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have you confirmed that you are not connecting to the DPC's wifi instead of the Asus' wifi? You can power off just the Asus and see if anything's different.

I don't know whether Starhub pushed down a new firmware into the DPC while you were away.

vurtomatic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you have an android/apple phone? install an app called Fing. It can scan and show the IP address of devices on the network you are connected on.
either that or do "ifconfig/all" on your mac

btw by default the IP for an asus router is 192.168.1.1 or go to router.asus.com

Yup here's the odd thing:

$ netstat -nr | grep default
default 192.168.212.1 UGSc 19 0 en0
default fe80::f65f:d4ff:feb0:f2fd%en0 UGc en0
default fe80::%utun0 UGcI utun0

Entering router.asus.com into the browser brings me to https://www.asus.com/sg/ .

Screenshot%202017-12-08%2003.29.55.png

Have you confirmed that you are not connecting to the DPC's wifi instead of the Asus' wifi? You can power off just the Asus and see if anything's different.

I don't know whether Starhub pushed down a new firmware into the DPC while you were away.

Yes, I turned off the Asus and wifi is gone. Also, the SSID and password are what I had set up on the Asus previously.

I also don't see the Cisco's default SSID in my available network.

How is it possible that I seem to be connected to the Asus wifi while using the Cisco for router? Maybe the Asus has been set up as an access point?

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
U only list your gateway IP. Try doing "arp -a" it should show all the ip address of devices in your network. Then you can trial and error to see witch is your Asus router

vurtomatic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U only list your gateway IP. Try doing "arp -a" it should show all the ip address of devices in your network. Then you can trial and error to see witch is your Asus router

Thank you!

I followed your suggestion and found the router IP. Managed to log in and I can now see that it's in AP mode :s22:

Now I need to figure out how to log in to the Cisco and have everything reset to the way it was with Cisco as the modem and the Asus as the router! :s8:

Still doesn't explain why the Cisco's IP is 192.168.212.1 when the default should be 192.168.0.1.

Question: I have no idea what settings have been changed on the Cisco. But if I reset it, I should still be able to connect to Starhub? And I should be able to access the Cisco's admin with default username/password to turn off its routing function and then re-enable my Asus as a router?

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Now I need to figure out how to log in to the Cisco and have everything reset to the way it was with Cisco as the modem and the Asus as the router! :s8:

Is there an option to turn the Cisco modem in to bridge mode? if so that should do the trick ( once you change the asus back to router mode)

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is there an option to turn the Cisco modem in to bridge mode? if so that should do the trick ( once you change the asus back to router mode)
This Cisco DPC3926 is for Cable broadband.
It is a Cable Modem cum router with wireless.

I think Starhub no longer recommend this to the latest Cable broadband 200mbps as supplied with another cable modem.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

I followed your suggestion and found the router IP. Managed to log in and I can now see that it's in AP mode :s22:

Still doesn't explain why the Cisco's IP is 192.168.212.1 when the default should be 192.168.0.1.

Question: I have no idea what settings have been changed on the Cisco. But if I reset it, I should still be able to connect to Starhub? And I should be able to access the Cisco's admin with default username/password to turn off its routing function and then re-enable my Asus as a router?
Have you Disconnect the Asus router from the Cisco.

Factory reset means Press+Hold for >10 seconds and power off.
Wait for a few minutes then power on the Cisco.
Input 192.168.0.1

For more info download the manual.
RESET refer to page 17 as you may have done the momentary reset, and not factory reset.

vurtomatic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yup, my previous setup used the Cisco as modem only and the Asus as wireless router. That's what I'm trying to get back to.

Have you Disconnect the Asus router from the Cisco.

Factory reset means Press+Hold for >10 seconds and power off.
Wait for a few minutes then power on the Cisco.
Input 192.168.0.1

For more info download the manual.
RESET refer to page 17 as you may have done the momentary reset, and not factory reset.

I will attempt that. Factory reset will only reset the settings to default, and I can still get on to the internet right?

Because I didn't set this up, I'm wary of messing up something and losing internet completely.

(So relieved to get back into the Asus router, bloody frustrating to be locked out of your own network!)

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will attempt that. Factory reset will only reset the settings to default, and I can still get on to the internet right?

Because I didn't set this up, I'm wary of messing up something and losing internet completely.

(So relieved to get back into the Asus router, bloody frustrating to be locked out of your own network!)
Factory reset is to reset all the settings back to the point as new as in Default.
Whatever settings you have done will be erase.

It would not lost the internet connection.
As there is no any specific setting required by ISP.

Last edited:

vurtomatic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Factory reset is to reset all the settings back to the point as new as in Default.
Whatever settings you have done will be erase.

It would not lost the internet connection.
As there is no any specific setting required by ISP.

Thank you for your help. I got my network back to how it was!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.