Router for Wifi extension in maisonette

1a2a3a

Reaction score
Hi, are there any routers for recommendation in SG maisonette?

The thing is, the infrastructure, router and ONT are all located in one of the bedroom in the 2nd floor. There are strictly no intention of relocated the infrastructure to a central location in the house.

A deadzone is almost certain whenever you step into say the 1st floor kitchen or some corner in the first floor. I am unable to even get a weak signal of 1 bar, but literally a disconnect.

With the above constraints, what are the proper measures that could remedy it? Like a ac5300 or something?

Would preferably not stretch the budget beyond $300, but sure, lets put the options on the table...

thanks.

ajkikyo

Reaction score
Why don't you get a range extender? it's cheap and gives you 50% of the signal.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Go for TP link Deco, just a little bit over $300. Confirm can solve your coverage issue.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can purchase it at any major electronics store or online portals such as Lazada or Qoo10.

FYI, what I recommended is a WI-FI mesh product and it is not one of the better spec'd mesh due to your budget constraints. I suggest you read a bit and check if you want to increase budget and get one of the better spec'd models.

Erikku

Reaction score
Hi ts, I am facing a similar issues with you just that my router and ONT is opposite of your location which is located at the lvl 1 living room. My dead spots are mostly on 2 out of 3 of the rooms. Can I check with you did u go for tp link deco m5 as ur solution? Did it solve your bad signal issues? Thanks in advance.

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
Reliable $300 solution.
Just put up a few LAN cables to link up the 2 floors.

Mesh system is not cheap.

Sent from Google PIXEL 2 XL using GAGT

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reliable $300 solution.
Just put up a few LAN cables to link up the 2 floors.

Mesh system is not cheap.

Sent from Google PIXEL 2 XL using GAGT

See TS 1st post ...

" There are strictly no intention of relocated the infrastructure to a central location in the house. "

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Even LAN cables as trucking cost is not cheap overall.
Beside additional routers needed to spread wireless signal, added to cost more.

As TS is SG maisonette which laying LAN cables can be a headache n ugly to some owners.

Mesh is the way to go..

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I moved my router to the living room to be close to the fibre termination point. Ayub help run 3 network cables. About 90% of the cable run on existing trunking. His wiring skill is close to perfect. Nothing beats the cable.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, are there any routers for recommendation in SG maisonette?

The thing is, the infrastructure, router and ONT are all located in one of the bedroom in the 2nd floor. There are strictly no intention of relocated the infrastructure to a central location in the house.

A deadzone is almost certain whenever you step into say the 1st floor kitchen or some corner in the first floor. I am unable to even get a weak signal of 1 bar, but literally a disconnect.

With the above constraints, what are the proper measures that could remedy it? Like a ac5300 or something?

Would preferably not stretch the budget beyond $300, but sure, lets put the options on the table...

thanks.

Lan cable is out, so the reminding options are:

1. wifi extender/repeater : the newer version will not half the speed. Some models are using 2 bands, one band to connect to the main router, another band to repeat.

2. homeplug/powerline adaptor: use your home's power cable to transmit data, you can install another one or two AP on the first floor to cover the blind spot.

3. Mesh wifi: Similar to wifi repeater, with 2 or 3 bands and can be used in a large premises by adding more nodes, very expensive at the moment.

Every option has its pros and cons. If your speed requirements is not high. e.g max is watching full hd video or youtube, either option 1 or 2 should be suitable.

for option 1, the location of repeater is important

option 2 is easier, e.g you can get this start kit that has the powerplug and integrated AP.

http://sineoji.com/estore/product/500mbps-powerline-wireless-extender-starter-kit/

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.