Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
limited/express/limited express you can get tickets some services are reservation only

vspecll_gtr

Reaction score
Anyone used Amex or DBS Altitude card in Japan?

How is the exchange like and are there any hidden charges or extra banking charge?

I am wondering if I should pay cash for the hotel or use card..

Any advise appreciated!!

chaotah

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone used Amex or DBS Altitude card in Japan?

How is the exchange like and are there any hidden charges or extra banking charge?

I am wondering if I should pay cash for the hotel or use card..

Any advise appreciated!!
If you need to ask this qns, you may want to pay cash. Credit card, with or without fees, will definitely land you in an overall not as good exchange rate as cash.

Sent from using GAGT

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2L how to last for many days?

Sent from using GAGT
Usually we finish in two days, mostly for drinking in hotel room. But recent trip somehow didn't drink a lot of water, then we just bought to the next few hotels.

First hotel didn't provide bottled water but subsequent hotels did. Last hotel also didn't provide, so bought a second bottle after using the rest accumulated from the other hotels lol.

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
take note that there are stores that offer tourist extra discount if using a particular card. Plus you get points which can be used later.

there will be a either rate difference as Bank will use the "live" rate, depending on the card some charge a per transaction fee

it is kinda worth it if you come across some above 30k item that you probably will not get anywhere else

onenightfighttwo

Reaction score
Decide not to start a new thread on a general question. :)

I have decided to postpone my family japan holiday(2 adult, 2 young kids 6 and 8 years old) to next year end, bigger kids meaning more option in disneyland and
with a budget of 10k +-1k(everything inclusive).

I wish to start planning early, meaning time to look for the cheapest ticket(not budget airline), look for the most value for money yet comfortable family hotel, planning ect... (first time ever to japan)

1) when should i start confirming thing? (airline, hotel, train ticket ect to get the best deal)
2) with my budget, is 12-14 days too ambitious?
plan to cover toyko-osaka (and anything in between or nearby)
disneyland for kids, ski resort, hot spring (hope not to miss)

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I have decided to postpone my family japan holiday(2 adult, 2 young kids 6 and 8 years old) to next year end, bigger kids meaning more option in disneyland and

I wish to start planning early, meaning time to look for the cheapest ticket(not budget airline), look for the most value for money yet comfortable family hotel, planning ect... (first time ever to japan)

1) when should i start confirming thing? (airline, hotel, train ticket ect to get the best deal)

Which month next year? Likely you need to go during school holidays?

1) air ticket if you can get good promo price. Train can keep.

2) first time to keep within your budget best to stay in Tokyo. It'll be expensive to go Osaka from Tokyo. Rail pass is around $300 for adult. Save money can take overnight bus. Lots to do in Tokyo already unless die die must go Osaka.

Look at airticket and accommodation first as they form bulk of the cost to get better off what you get for your budget. Look at number of days after adding in meals, transportation, Disney tickets.

onenightfighttwo

Reaction score
Which month next year? Likely you need to go during school holidays?

1) air ticket if you can get good promo price. Train can keep.

2) first time to keep within your budget best to stay in Tokyo. It'll be expensive to go Osaka from Tokyo. Rail pass is around $300 for adult. Save money can take overnight bus. Lots to do in Tokyo already unless die die must go Osaka.

Look at airticket and accommodation first as they form bulk of the cost to get better off what you get for your budget. Look at number of days after adding in meals, transportation, Disney tickets.

Yes, school holiday in Dec.
Was planning to spend 2 weeks. But not sure if budget can fit in.
Which is the cheaper way?

1) fly to Tokyo, overnight bus to Osaka and back, fly home to Tokyo

2) fly to Tokyo, overnight bus to Osaka, and fly back from Osaka

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, school holiday in Dec.
Was planning to spend 2 weeks. But not sure if budget can fit in.
Which is the cheaper way?

1) fly to Tokyo, overnight bus to Osaka and back, fly home to Tokyo

2) fly to Tokyo, overnight bus to Osaka, and fly back from Osaka
It depends whether u can get cheap open-jaw tickets.
Open-jaw tickets are usually more expensive. and if u are looking at direct flight back from osaka, u are limited to only SQ. So whatever savings u have from traveling one-way from tokyo to osaka may not offset the more expensive air tickets.

Btw, for overnight bus, make sure ur wife and kids are ok with it. U dun want to be traveling with cranky kids the next morning if they cant sleep well on buses

Reaction score

Actually, first timer should just stick to one place n explore nearby is sufficient.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

Sent from 穷挫矮胖永独 using GAGT

thwysg

Reaction score

Like what others have suggested, stay just in one city. Your budget is quite tight. And unless your family are able to sleep anywhere, I’ll say no to the overnight bus. Took it before but I couldn’t sleep at all, being a light sleeper.

Ski resorts usually open mid Dec, to be safe with natural snow. Renting of equipment would not be cheap if all of you are going for a ski lesson. Most convenient ones from Tokyo would be Gala Yuzawa or Karuizawa. There’s some lodging around Gala having onsen facilities. Likewise for Karuizawa.

http://www.princehotels.com/en/ski/karuizawa/index.html

It won’t be easy to find big rooms to accommodate all 4 of you in a single hotel room within Tokyo, can look at hostels which have family rooms, for instance in Asakusa or Ikebukuro or Ueno. Food wise, you can look at family diners or fast food or simple eateries such as curry rice, conveyor belt sushi or ramen joints.

https://tokyocheapo.com/food-and-drink/

onenightfighttwo

Reaction score
Like what others have suggested, stay just in one city. Your budget is quite tight. And unless your family are able to sleep anywhere, I’ll say no to the overnight bus. Took it before but I couldn’t sleep at all, being a light sleeper.

Ski resorts usually open mid Dec, to be safe with natural snow. Renting of equipment would not be cheap if all of you are going for a ski lesson. Most convenient ones from Tokyo would be Gala Yuzawa or Karuizawa. There’s some lodging around Gala having onsen facilities. Likewise for Karuizawa.

http://www.princehotels.com/en/ski/karuizawa/index.html

It won’t be easy to find big rooms to accommodate all 4 of you in a single hotel room within Tokyo, can look at hostels which have family rooms, for instance in Asakusa or Ikebukuro or Ueno. Food wise, you can look at family diners or fast food or simple eateries such as curry rice, conveyor belt sushi or ramen joints.

https://tokyocheapo.com/food-and-drink/

Thanks alot for the info. . yea, japan always give me the feel that it's expensive.

I manage to do all in below 10k for korea n aussie. 10 days for each too. and stay in nice place.

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Japan is not exactly that extensive if you dun do fine dining often. Family dining places are pretty affordable, like sukiya, matsuya etc.

Tokyo has Disney land and sea, can spend 2 days there. You can also take day trips to hakone, mt fuji etc.

You can buy some tickets online from klook first to enjoy discounts, thus you can bring less yen with you.

Spintronics

Reaction score
yes, actually fine with just 1 place. however, is 10-14 days in toyko alone too long and boring?

Depending on your interests but if you're the foodie, exploring and some shopping type, 10-14 days in Tokyo is just nice with side trips to Yokohama, Hakone, Nikko, etc. Tokyo has lots of interesting neighbourhoods to explore.

onenightfighttwo

Reaction score
Japan is not exactly that extensive if you dun do fine dining often. Family dining places are pretty affordable, like sukiya, matsuya etc.

Tokyo has Disney land and sea, can spend 2 days there. You can also take day trips to hakone, mt fuji etc.

You can buy some tickets online from klook first to enjoy discounts, thus you can bring less yen with you.

I'm more of like concern about a decent hotel for a fam of 4. And transportation. Although food can be cheap. Ex a rail ticket to Osaka is like setting back 1k for a family.

onenightfighttwo

Reaction score
Depending on your interests but if you're the foodie, exploring and some shopping type, 10-14 days in Tokyo is just nice with side trips to Yokohama, Hakone, Nikko, etc. Tokyo has lots of interesting neighbourhoods to explore.

Not really shopping. But some will be good. Since it will be winter. Shopping is good to hide from the cold. Maybe more on the experience. The culture, scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.