Google Wifi with Singtel TV?

vakamahorika

Reaction score
Considering getting a Google Wifi system but realised that they don't allow setting to bridge mode while using the mesh system.. If I use singtel TV will it be possible to use the Google Wifi system in mesh?

Google recommends to turn the singtel router into bridge mode instead, will this affect the vlan tagging required for Singtel TV?

Sorry if the question seems a little confused, networking is not my forte..

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It will be best for u to find a way and connect to singtel router instead of using Google wifi..

That will simplify alot of things..

Considering getting a Google Wifi system but realised that they don't allow setting to bridge mode while using the mesh system.. If I use singtel TV will it be possible to use the Google Wifi system in mesh?

Google recommends to turn the singtel router into bridge mode instead, will this affect the vlan tagging required for Singtel TV?

Sorry if the question seems a little confused, networking is not my forte..

vakamahorika

Reaction score
Ah but as a separate solution, will it be possible to essentially connect everything to the Google Wifi router with the exception of singtel TV, in essence living with a dual NAT setup but doesn't really matter because only the singtel TV is connected to the other NAT? i.e.

Singtel ONT -> Singtel router -> Mio TV
Singtel Router ------------------> Google Wifi --> Unmanaged switch for all other things currently connected to singtel router

My rationale for this is that the Mio TV can be in isolation (I dont need it to communicate on a network with any other devices), while I can get everything else on the Google Wifi network with an unmanaged switch connected to the primary google wifi unit.

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ah but as a separate solution, will it be possible to essentially connect everything to the Google Wifi router with the exception of singtel TV, in essence living with a dual NAT setup but doesn't really matter because only the singtel TV is connected to the other NAT? i.e.

Singtel ONT -> Singtel router -> Mio TV
Singtel Router ------------------> Google Wifi --> Unmanaged switch for all other things currently connected to singtel router

My rationale for this is that the Mio TV can be in isolation (I dont need it to communicate on a network with any other devices), while I can get everything else on the Google Wifi network with an unmanaged switch connected to the primary google wifi unit.

Well, by your theory, it will be ideal if the google wifi node you are connecting to runs on ethernet backhaul.

if it is on wireless backhaul, then its pointless because you will lose the stable 1gbps bandwidth..

If you daisy chain the nodes then i suppose its fine..

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
interesting topic.
Currently I have the following setup
I have the Singtel IPTV ( Hardly power up) that blocking me from switching all to Google Wifi type of devices.

Bought a cheapo TP Link managed switch ( 1008) that seems not able to support the IPTV priority setting , not yet trying but forum here has reported such problem.

Singtel Router-> Google On Hub (Similar to Google Wifi).

Google On Hub is setup with Bridge Mode for the sake of maintaining single subnet range for all devices and lazy to update device setup to let them all joining to the Google On Hub wifi network.

Google OnHub do have advantage on wifi coverage comparing to Standard Router Wifi ..not because of the range but one can clearly seeing it to adjust signal strength directionally based on where the device is.

Going to get another On Hub to serve as wifi points ,when doing so i have to put the main wifi points back to MESH mode.

I dont know Singlel Router -> Goggle Wifi -> Another Google Wifi Point will suffer much on speed due to the Double NAT besides the isolated devices communications .

I do have many google devices like chromecast, google home, it doesnt make .

I am now using a ASUS 56S? as my main router instead of the Singtel AC1900 (not that great) router.

Ah_dui

Reaction score
I am also considering to buy google wifi. So no good solution to switching over to google wifi if i have singtel TV?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am also considering to buy google wifi. So no good solution to switching over to google wifi if i have singtel TV?

IPTV is best on direct wired connection.

As wifi may not have stable connection.

It is not like YouTube or other streaming apps where there is buffer in the computers &or phones devices to maintain constant lag free watching.

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
Bought the stupid TP-Link SG108E easy smart switch, can't even get internet to work , prepare to let go the SingTel IPTV.

Currently have to live with the double NAT inefficiency.. till I can bypass SingTel Router.

I have 2 Google on hub(similar to Google Wifi ) at standby for further experiment.

May be I go experiment to turn off NAT on first Router,

Sent from Google PIXEL C using GAGT

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tplink managed switch does not support priority vlan. So SingTel tv won’t work on it..

You can still use singtel tv if you connect it to singtel router and that Google wifi connected to singtel router too..

Bought the stupid TP-Link SG108E easy smart switch, can't even get internet to work , prepare to let go the SingTel IPTV.

Currently have to live with the double NAT inefficiency.. till I can bypass SingTel Router.

I have 2 Google on hub(similar to Google Wifi ) at standby for further experiment.

May be I go experiment to turn off NAT on first Router,

Sent from Google PIXEL C using GAGT

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
Tplink managed switch does not support priority vlan. So SingTel tv won’t work on it..

You can still use singtel tv if you connect it to singtel router and that Google wifi connected to singtel router too..

While I am about to give up after 3 nights of testing . Microtek RBS260GS and Cisco SG200-08 are on my Amazon Cart.

Just now last try...on TP-Link SG108E,
I manage to make it to work on both Internet and MIO TV ( Some channels are not playing stable).

The trick is on the 103.1p Priority settings. Somehow there is bugs on the smart switch.

Instead,I go apply Port base Priority to map to the system and manage to get IP Address on my Notebook without Singtel Router and direct internet Notebook -> Switch-> ONT .browsing with speedtest.net is working

Working combination

Internet Priority 0 Vlan 10, mapped to 2(Normal)
IPTV , Priority 4 Vlan 20, mapped to 3 (Medium)..

Continue to troubleshoot.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good news! So now priority is supported? Hahas

While I am about to give up after 3 nights of testing . Microtek RBS260GS and Cisco SG200-08 are on my Amazon Cart.

Just now last try...on TP-Link SG108E,
I manage to make it to work on both Internet and MIO TV ( Some channels are not playing stable).

The trick is on the 103.1p Priority settings. Somehow there is bugs on the smart switch.

Instead,I go apply Port base Priority to map to the system and manage to get IP Address on my Notebook without Singtel Router and direct internet Notebook -> Switch-> ONT .browsing with speedtest.net is working

Working combination

Internet Priority 0 Vlan 10, mapped to 2(Normal)
IPTV , Priority 4 Vlan 20, mapped to 3 (Medium)..

Continue to troubleshoot.

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
TP-Link SG108E Singtel Vlan Setup

After further tweaking , Now both Internet and IPTV are working correctly.

Hardware Smart Switch :TP-link, TL-SG108E , version 3 Hardware,
FW:TL-SG108Ev3_en_1.0.0_[20160722-rel50167]_up

'->' Denotes LAN Connection
Network Flow

ONT->SWITCH->
Switch Ports
Port 1- ONT
Port 2- Tagged Port to let backup Singtel router/routers with Singtel Vlan settings
Port 3- To Routers without Vlan settings
Port 4-7 - Setup as Lan group ports , treat it as unmanaged switch , for use to route to other rooms AP/Switch/Bridge

Port-8 - Singtel IPTV

Vlan Table
25994501_1609520892448679_714859322755089727_n.jpg

PVID Settings
26055551_1609522059115229_8630415453081277136_n.jpg

Prior to get 802.1P CoS to work, manual Port Base Priority was used.
25591734_1609522065781895_3746422684580261219_n.jpg

Final 802.1p Settings
25591980_1609522005781901_3811660026345203686_n.jpg

IGMP Snooping
25594059_1609522012448567_7594039379168572851_n.jpg

Something to monitor with bad received packages
25659666_1609522009115234_4788913741904716423_n.jpg

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
Back topic of Google Wifi Mesh Setup.

I am using Google On-Hub routers which are compatible with Google Wifi. Same App can be used to setup either of them.

*Google On Hub is on sales at USD 99

Google On-Hub (Primary) + Google Wifi As Mesh units ->OK
Google ON-hub (Primary) + Google On hub as Mesh unit - > OK but tricky to get it to work

Wifi Coverage @ 1200 Sqft house with Single On Hub at a House corner ,
Wifi can cover to any far end corner ,12-15M with a wall with signal level of 2 bar(4-full) on phone with Internet speed >300 Mbps ,Google Server speed test, real application no video dropping

Now with 2 Google On Hub, So far only spacing them 6 meters apart with a concrete wall between Them.

Tested with my Google Pixel 2 XL phone (Wireless)
=>Wireless backhaul, 650 MBps , 650MBps
=>Wired backhaul, 650 MBps , 650MBps
=>I think the limit is limited by my phone . I dont have any newer toys that have higher wifi performance than this.

Last edited:

Ah_dui

Reaction score
I took the dive and bought google wifi from amazon. I think my setup is different from some of you as I still continued to use the Singtel default router for the TV. I connected 1x google wifi nodes to the router via Ethernet cable, so my setup goes like this:

Singtel ONT -> Singtel default router -> MioTV
-> Google Wifi

I understand that some of you wants to use the google wifi to replace the default singtel router, so this might not work for you.

I also logged in to the router admin page to disable the wifi of the singtel router. This way only google wifi nodes will transmit wifi. In other words, Singtel router is only for MioTV, google Wifi for wifi. During setup, I just put the same SSID and network key so that my devices can connect to the new wifi seamlessly.

Any other ways to set up from other users?

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
I took the dive and bought google wifi from amazon. I think my setup is different from some of you as I still continued to use the Singtel default router for the TV. I connected 1x google wifi nodes to the router via Ethernet cable, so my setup goes like this:

Singtel ONT -> Singtel default router -> MioTV
-> Google Wifi

I understand that some of you wants to use the google wifi to replace the default singtel router, so this might not work for you.

I also logged in to the router admin page to disable the wifi of the singtel router. This way only google wifi nodes will transmit wifi. In other words, Singtel router is only for MioTV, google Wifi for wifi. During setup, I just put the same SSID and network key so that my devices can connect to the new wifi seamlessly.

Any other ways to set up from other users?

You did not buy 3x of Google Wifi to mesh up the wifi coverage for your house.

For your setup, try forcing the Google Wifi to work as Bridge, this will give you a flat network , all devices can see each other. It will still work when all wifi devices are under the Google Wifi network however this still face the Double NAT , not an issue but just spending time to do one more time of network address replacement by the main router.
You wont feel it indeed.

jackycar

Master Member
Reaction score
For singtel best to get netgear Orbi as it supports vlan tagging. Do pm me if interested

Skywalker87

Reaction score
You did not buy 3x of Google Wifi to mesh up the wifi coverage for your house.

For your setup, try forcing the Google Wifi to work as Bridge, this will give you a flat network , all devices can see each other. It will still work when all wifi devices are under the Google Wifi network however this still face the Double NAT , not an issue but just spending time to do one more time of network address replacement by the main router.
You wont feel it indeed.

Hi HMAN could you share how do we force Google Wifi to work on bridge mode? I have a singtel ONT without MioTV. Sorry Super newbie.

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
You first need to setup Google Wifi as primary Wi-Fi point,
1.Connect the LAN cable between Google Wifi WAN port and main router LAN port.
2. Setup Google Wifi as primary Wi-Fi point with Google Wifi app
3. After setup complete, from within Google app find the settings to change to use bridge mode.

Hi HMAN could you share how do we force Google Wifi to work on bridge mode? I have a singtel ONT without MioTV. Sorry Super newbie.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.