Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+, The Gorgeous Beast

Omnia1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
An excessively wide angle for the facial recognition method would defeat the security Apple purports... the phone will unlock at the slightest glance at the screen... I think while this Facial ID was a wow... practically speaking most users aren't really using it much cos it's both awkward and troublesome to use... not so much a fingerprint unlock... which is secure enough... after all... how many of us keep top secret world changing info in our phones?
I would rather my phone unlock "at the slightest glance". Don't think it's a security risk to have an excessively wide angle as the phone would be in my possession anyway. If need be, reduce the workable distance to the length of your arm. The reason facial recognition is awkward and troublesome is precisely because of the required angles.

This is not too different from the current smartlock feature in Samsung phones which rely on proximity.

Sent from Samsung SM-T825Y using GAGT

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would rather my phone unlock "at the slightest glance". Don't think it's a security risk to have an excessively wide angle as the phone would be in my possession anyway. If need be, reduce the workable distance to the length of your arm. The reason facial recognition is awkward and troublesome is precisely because of the required angles.

This is not too different from the current smartlock feature in Samsung phones which rely on proximity.

It’s beyond technical limitation to have a wide angle as of now.. perhaps this can be enforced in the future I hope..

Smart lock relies on Bluetooth that operates on LE. It’s not sustainable..

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If that is the case, I wonder if the security level would be that high... it would probably entail having to do a 3D CAT scan of your head.. so that at any angle, the phone will recognise your face/head and unlock...

Omnia1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If that is the case, I wonder if the security level would be that high... it would probably entail having to do a 3D CAT scan of your head.. so that at any angle, the phone will recognise your face/head and unlock...
Yes, but it would be awesome. ;)

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I want that type of info to be available to anyone... much less my phone...

deckcard

Master Member
Reaction score
Bezel so thin how to grip the phone without triggering touches on screen? In the end still need a case to hold the phone when phones are 1+ k nowadays with glass surrounding it.

cr7.eddie

Reaction score
with the fingerprint sensor behind.. you also have to lift up your phone.. i actually prefer samsung to improve their face id.. better for drivers also

the fingerprint sensor behind is not a good design. But for faceid it's more weird to do kind of selfie every time to unlock the phone

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
Samsung Galaxy S9 to be announced next month

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-samsung-galaxy-s9-be-announced-next-month

From article:

"Samsung has officially confirmed that it would be unveiling the Galaxy S9 flagship smartphone at next month’s Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

The news was confirmed by DJ Koh, the president of Samsung’s mobile business, during a press conference in Las Vegas. Koh also said that the release date would be revealed during the launch event."

dgeralds

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That is the reason I'm sticking with S7 edge due finger print sensor in front. My phone is on the desk at work 95% of the time. Just a hard touch with finger print sensor. Imagine if were to lift and face id or turn thd phone to use the finger print...!

the fingerprint sensor behind is not a good design. But for faceid it's more weird to do kind of selfie every time to unlock the phone

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
If Samsung can solve the manufacturing issue with the integrated fingerprint sensor (FPS), then perhaps Note9 will have the integrated FPS later in the year.... unfortunately for the S9, the FPS will still be at the back of the phone.

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Vivo phone already have FPS on the screen.. Go search YouTube...

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
Vivo phone already have FPS on the screen.. Go search YouTube...

The problem Samsung faced with the integrated FPS is that the area for the FPS is lighter in colour than the rest of the screen. This was previously reported. Samsung wants to have a uniform colour throughout the AMOLED screen. As long as uniformity of the screen colour, as well as any other manufacturing issues, are not resolved, Samsung will not push out integrated FPS in their phones.

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Specs leaked for the regular Galaxy S9..
b4a56101gy1fnduxgj2fbj20k00qodie.jpg

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.