What Gas Hood is the best?

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What Gas Hood is the best for HDB use?

I went to COURTS and checked out 2 days back. I noticed there are 3 types available

1) Slimline type
2) Chimney type
3) Island type

Understand that Slimline and Chimney type requires a backwall for mounting. Island type costs a lot of money whilst the other 2 types are cheaper.

The problem is the back for my gas hood installation is just an empty space i.e. no backwall like cabinet or concrete wall. So, can I hang a Slimline type from the ceiling?

Filters and Oil Cup/Tray

1) One type just sucks in the fumes and discharges out - no filters or oil cup/tray
2) One type with charcoal filters only - this type need to change the charcoal filters roughly 6 to 9 months if fry or char frequently. If not, then change roughly every 1 to 1-1/2 years
3) One type with oil cup/tray only
4) Some come with charcoal filters and oil cup/tray

Questions

1) What brand is best for HDB use?
2) Is 900 m3/h suction power enough?
3) I would prefer touch screen over pressed button type with stainless steel body. Any comment on touch screen?
4) Silent in operation? What is the general noise level? Is 44 dBA ok?

I went to my neighbor's house and was told her gas hood spoil leow and she covered it with an aluminium sheet. She also complained of hassle in maintenance. What other things I need to consider before buying and in use?

Thanks for your comments

Last edited:

nakitaro

Master Member
Reaction score
self cleaning baffle filter island type hood. good luck finding that. if hdb, is usually recirculating only. whole house will have cooking smell still. charcoal or whatever nonsense no use.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

self cleaning baffle filter island type hood. good luck finding that. if hdb, is usually recirculating only. whole house will have cooking smell still. charcoal or whatever nonsense no use.

Thank you.

I believe for re-circulation the smell will be there unless you can exhaust the fumes out of the windows like in a private house which is not possible in the case of one staying in a HDB flat. Of course staying on the top most floor or ground floor is possible. Unfortunately, I don't stay on the top most or ground floor

However, if during cooking time the balcony windows are open this will lessen the smell and regular cleaning of the gas hood, kitchen walls, cabinets, floors etc will greatly help too, right?

Last edited:

Chalkycliffs

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Island type exhaust hoods cost more as all exterior sides have to be finished - more stainless steel.

They sometimes also have a longer telescopic extension to reach higher ceilings - again more stainless steel.

Their motors are also usually more powerful, as the exhaust-suction area is larger.

nakitaro

Master Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

I believe for re-circulation the smell will be there unless you can exhaust the fumes out of the windows like in a private house which is not possible in the case of one staying in a HDB flat. Of course staying on the top most floor or ground floor is possible. Unfortunately, I don't stay on the top most or ground floor

However, if during cooking time the balcony windows are open this will lessen the smell and regular cleaning of the gas hood, kitchen walls, cabinets, floors etc will greatly help too, right?

if island, no use alrdy. if not island, at least still near window

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

hmm where do you think you would place island? near window?

My gas hob location is fixed for I'm not changing it. It is facing the balcony windows separated by the balcony.

Likely I'll need to buy those foldable aluminium foil from the DIY/neighborhood shop to block any draft from the balcony window side during cooking.

The height of the foldable aluminium foil is 90 cm high so it's more than that required of the height from the gas hood to the top of the gas hob

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

any floorplan to share and the location of hob and sink and fridge

Floorplan? 20+ years ago lost leow

I now realized if I had then swapped the sink and the gas hob positions I would not face the problem I'm having now

Like I mentioned I have no intention of changing the positions of the sink and the gas hob

What I want to do now is to install a gas hood by suspending from the kitchen ceiling and block the draft coming from the balcony window side. It's not an impossible task. Just need some thinking to make some brackets and vertical rods for suspending the gas hood....all materials to be of stainless steel to prevent future rusting

Last edited:

nakitaro

Master Member
Reaction score

I now realized if I had then swapped the sink and the gas hob positions I would not face the problem I'm having now

Like I mentioned I have no intention of changing the positions of the sink and the gas hob

What I want to do now is to install a gas hood by suspending from the kitchen ceiling and block the draft coming from the balcony window side. It's not an impossible task. Just need some thinking to make some brackets and vertical rods for suspending the gas hood....all materials to be of stainless steel to prevent future rusting

oh okok. so you wanna diy?

Chalkycliffs

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Please correct me if I am wrong...

Do you intend to use a wall mounted exhaust hood, but install it by mounting it like an island style exhaust hood?

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Please correct me if I am wrong...

Do you intend to use a wall mounted exhaust hood, but install it by mounting it like an island style exhaust hood?

Likely a Slimline type and suspend it from the ceiling. Still sourcing.

Any issues with such a set up?

Chalkycliffs

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Likely a Slimline type and suspend it from the ceiling. Still sourcing.

Any issues with such a set up?

Your contractor will probably have to construct a frame hanging from the ceiling where the exhaust hood can be attached above the hob.

After that, can box up the hood, but have access panels in case of maintenance issues.

Possible issues that may come up - vibrations while the exhaust motor is operating.

Something to think about - all the extra work to modify, construct and install the hood - would getting an island hood be more cost effective?

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your contractor will probably have to construct a frame hanging from the ceiling where the exhaust hood can be attached above the hob.

After that, can box up the hood, but have access panels in case of maintenance issues.

Possible issues that may come up - vibrations while the exhaust motor is operating.

Something to think about - all the extra work to modify, construct and install the hood - would getting an island hood be more cost effective?

Agreed on the vibration point. Have to look into this further

I don't think there's a need to box up the hood. You don't box up the Slimline or Chimney type also mah because it's basically a recirculation hood

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.