torn ACL

kurtgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
pardon me for creating a new thread, it has been more than a year since i last saw the old threads about ACL.

i had a torn ACL which i pop it during soccer around 2 years back.
doctors have been advising me to do the ops but i hesitated.

so far, i am still doing ok but i notice since i have been exercising recently.
The knee start to give way.

For no reason, i will miss a step while walking down the stairs.
when i jump vigorously, the knee will pull..

as much as i wish, i really dont wish to go for the op.
is there anyone still living or surviving with the torn ACL? :s13:

i had a mix reviews, many of my friends mentioned doing the surgery, does not really add any value to the current function or any improvement.
I will not able to return to soccer too, instead, i am playing badminton now.

i'm 39, i fear that as i aged, my knee will give me more issues especially when i am taking the stairs..

Last edited:

ralliart_ray

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
pardon me for creating a new thread, it has been more than a year since i last saw the old threads about ACL.

i had a torn ACL which i pop it during soccer around 2 years back.
doctors have been advising me to do the ops but i hesitated.

so far, i am still doing ok but i notice since i have been exercising recently.
The knee start to give way.

For no reason, i will miss a step while walking down the stairs.
when i jump vigorously, the knee will pull..

as much as i wish, i really dont wish to go for the op.
is there anyone still living or surviving with the torn ACL? :s13:

i had a mix reviews, many of my friends mentioned doing the surgery, does not really add any value to the current function or any improvement.
I will not able to return to soccer too, instead, i am playing badminton now.

i'm 39, i fear that as i aged, my knee will give me more issues especially when i am taking the stairs..

Anterior cruciate ligament injury is when the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is either stretched, partially torn, or completely torn. Did you do MRI? is it fully torn?

I torn mine as well, in a friendly game of soccer many years back. If you can give up sports and live with it else I suggest do the surgery. Rehab is tough because after the operation your leg muscle shrink a lot... going back to sports (which need alot of pivoting actions) is possible but just make sure you follow the physio and exercise to rebuild the muscle (4-12months of work.)

did your friends do the ACL ops before? or just hear-say? 39 is still young lah. (see Zlatan , same injury). For me, there is a big difference, and most importantly I can go back to do sports. As you play badminton, there is alot of pivoting actions so your knee may give way. for climbing stairs I think it is still not too strenuous (as in not too much quick turning/pivoting which need ACL to hold the knee)

Last edited:

kurtgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
Anterior cruciate ligament injury is when the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is either stretched, partially torn, or completely torn. Did you do MRI? is it fully torn?

I torn mine as well, in a friendly game of soccer many years back. If you can give up sports and live with it else I suggest do the surgery. Rehab is tough because after the operation your leg muscle shrink a lot... going back to sports (which need alot of pivoting actions) is possible but just make sure you follow the physio and exercise to rebuild the muscle (4-12months of work.)

did your friends do the ACL ops before? or just hear-say? 39 is still young lah. (see Zlatan , same injury). For me, there is a big difference, and most importantly I can go back to do sports. As you play badminton, there is alot of pivoting actions so your knee may give way. for climbing stairs I think it is still not too strenuous (as in not too much quick turning/pivoting which need ACL to hold the knee)

yes, did the MRI, hence was told to go for op.

a few friends did the ops and they told me nothing special, the knee is still as bad, can't go back soccer or tedious sports.

i dont wish to go for op too, but just fear as i aged, there's more to come..

ralliart_ray

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes, did the MRI, hence was told to go for op.

a few friends did the ops and they told me nothing special, the knee is still as bad, can't go back soccer or tedious sports.

i dont wish to go for op too, but just fear as i aged, there's more to come..

this means they didnt do the rehab properly. Operation is 1 thing, road to recovery is another. :s13::s13::s13: Of course if you expect that you can play soccer like in 3-6months after surgery, it is not possible la.

if you don't want to go op then have to live with it. my comment will be the earlier you do (if you ever decide to), since you are still not too old the recovery is fast.

hellhole

Reaction score
some can't go back to doing sport because they are lazy and did not do that post op rehab...

some also can't as they have very bad meniscus damaged that they need to remove quite a bit of meniscus. thus, without that its really tough...

the doctor cant really tell how much meniscus to repair and remove till they look at it during operation.

i would do it, its covered by medishield...

kurtgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
some can't go back to doing sport because they are lazy and did not do that post op rehab...

some also can't as they have very bad meniscus damaged that they need to remove quite a bit of meniscus. thus, without that its really tough...

the doctor cant really tell how much meniscus to repair and remove till they look at it during operation.

i would do it, its covered by medishield...

oh my god.. this part is scary..
:eek:

lunarsong

Reaction score
The difference for me is quite significant, my knee is a lot stable, stronger and no longer give way after the op.

The post op rehab has to be done seriously if you really intend to return to sports. I did my rehab for 1 yr and I was able to return to basketball.

Although I stopped playing competitively, I am able to attend a full training session and pickup full court game. My vertical jump and speed returned, but the mental block still remains and it's very hard to get that off.

azarel

Master Member
Reaction score
The difference for me is quite significant, my knee is a lot stable, stronger and no longer give way after the op.

The post op rehab has to be done seriously if you really intend to return to sports. I did my rehab for 1 yr and I was able to return to basketball.

Although I stopped playing competitively, I am able to attend a full training session and pickup full court game. My vertical jump and speed returned, but the mental block still remains and it's very hard to get that off.
Well done for coming back to bball after such a bad injury.

Sent from Sony G8142 using GAGT

teckgamer

Reaction score
If it's covered by insurance. Go ahead and do it. Check with your insurance, most insurance (except aviva) only covers 3 months of post surgery treatments. Aviva covers 6 months

kurtgoh

Master Member
Reaction score

mind sharing what is the process?

i read the op was simple, you be given a few months of mc.
as for the rehab, is it weekly? how frequent was that?

I was kinda worried as it may interrupt my work..

you done it with government hospital or privately?

kurtgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
If it's covered by insurance. Go ahead and do it. Check with your insurance, most insurance (except aviva) only covers 3 months of post surgery treatments. Aviva covers 6 months

noted, i'm actually covered by medical card and my company/private got coverage.
Hence, i am safe on this area.

I was wondering, should i stick with TTSH or rather to go private.

hellhole

Reaction score
noted, i'm actually covered by medical card and my company/private got coverage.
Hence, i am safe on this area.

I was wondering, should i stick with TTSH or rather to go private.

well... i did mine at TTSH... the bill came up to about 8K+..
overnight stay and general anesthesia and operation...

mc where got a few months... i think its 2-3 weeks... i got bored about 1 week and went have to work.. hahah... excuse you from IPPT yes have lah.. that one 1 year at least...

a friend did at mt e... also overnight stay.. got private nurse ( he say quite chio... or maybe he still high on anesthesia..) ... the bill was 10K+

kurtgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
well... i did mine at TTSH... the bill came up to about 8K+..
overnight stay and general anesthesia and operation...

mc where got a few months... i think its 2-3 weeks... i got bored about 1 week and went have to work.. hahah... excuse you from IPPT yes have lah.. that one 1 year at least...

a friend did at mt e... also overnight stay.. got private nurse ( he say quite chio... or maybe he still high on anesthesia..) ... the bill was 10K+

no more IPPT, already MR.

what about the following up? physio etc.
all these, should give you long MC for recovery?

2-3 weeks is kinda short and fast, can really go back to work?
i wanted long MC :D

hellhole

Reaction score
no more IPPT, already MR.

what about the following up? physio etc.
all these, should give you long MC for recovery?

2-3 weeks is kinda short and fast, can really go back to work?
i wanted long MC :D

follow up ... and physio u can get MC lah..
follow up i took mc... physcio.. i book the last session of the day.. and my boss okay for me to leave just 1-2 hour earlier..

want long mc.. then maybe you can consider cut off leg.. that one sure long mc :):s13:

lunarsong

Reaction score
Morning went into the OT, woke up abt 3plus in the afternoon but the anesthesia effect was still there so I was drifting in and out of sleep. I managed to discharged the next day after the effect was gone and the morning checkup.

I did mine in CGH for abt 2k plus. Choose B2 ward coz only staying for 1 night, though my insurance can cover up to private ward and private hosp. My insurance subsequently sent me a cheque of the balance of what they can cover me and B2 ward.

Surgeon took my hamstring graft for my ACL reconstruction.

I was given hospitalization leave (HL) for a total of 2 months. First month is straight 1 month, but 2nd month is given every week when I when back for changing of dressing and see the doc.

First 6 mths of rehab was once a week, then become once every 2 weeks, then become 3 weeks. It's quite disruptive to my work when I keep taking time off so I dragged the interval.

First stage of the rehab is regaining the range of motion of the injured leg, followed by the strength, control, stability, and then power.

After that I stopped attending rehab because of my work. Also I did my own training so I see no point to attend further rehab.

Although I've not cleared by the physiotherapist that I can return to sports, but I felt that I was ready so I went back to bball.

mind sharing what is the process?

i read the op was simple, you be given a few months of mc.
as for the rehab, is it weekly? how frequent was that?

I was kinda worried as it may interrupt my work..

you done it with government hospital or privately?

kurtgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
Morning went into the OT, woke up abt 3plus in the afternoon but the anesthesia effect was still there so I was drifting in and out of sleep. I managed to discharged the next day after the effect was gone and the morning checkup.

I did mine in CGH for abt 2k plus. Choose B2 ward coz only staying for 1 night, though my insurance can cover up to private ward and private hosp. My insurance subsequently sent me a cheque of the balance of what they can cover me and B2 ward.

Surgeon took my hamstring graft for my ACL reconstruction.

I was given hospitalization leave (HL) for a total of 2 months. First month is straight 1 month, but 2nd month is given every week when I when back for changing of dressing and see the doc.

First 6 mths of rehab was once a week, then become once every 2 weeks, then become 3 weeks. It's quite disruptive to my work when I keep taking time off so I dragged the interval.

First stage of the rehab is regaining the range of motion of the injured leg, followed by the strength, control, stability, and then power.

After that I stopped attending rehab because of my work. Also I did my own training so I see no point to attend further rehab.

Although I've not cleared by the physiotherapist that I can return to sports, but I felt that I was ready so I went back to bball.

wow, thank you for sharing such a comprehensive details.

few questions:
is the recovery process a painful one?
will i able to manage on my own as my wife is working.
I guess i can't drive as well?

hamstring graft for my ACL reconstruction

what is this actually? a substitute?

The physio, not sure if can compensate by MC, otherwise it will really be disruptive as i work in Tuas.

my leg start to hurt / pull on each badminton session, the whole sensation is like cramped.
its getting bad unless i stop playing badminton..

ralliart_ray

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow, thank you for sharing such a comprehensive details.

few questions:
is the recovery process a painful one?
will i able to manage on my own as my wife is working.
I guess i can't drive as well?

what is this actually? a substitute?

The physio, not sure if can compensate by MC, otherwise it will really be disruptive as i work in Tuas.

my leg start to hurt / pull on each badminton session, the whole sensation is like cramped.

after 1st few days, i drive myself to TTSH to see physio do rehab liao :s13::s13::s13:

dont worry lah, you will wear the knee brace (robo-cop alike)

lunarsong

Reaction score
few questions:
is the recovery process a painful one? my recovery quite painless. doc gave me painkillers but i didn't eat a single one. the most 'pain' would be during the regaining the full range of motion period where i need to bend my knee. this is just superficial pain
will i able to manage on my own as my wife is working.this is something that i cannot ans u :D
I guess i can't drive as well? i dont drive, cant ans u too. i believe another person has ans you.

what is this actually? a substitute? i suggest u search on Google. too many medical terms and explanation to be done here.

The physio, not sure if can compensate by MC, otherwise it will really be disruptive as i work in Tuas. my bill reflect physio as out-patient treatment. i think this depends on your company and perhaps your insurance policy/COLOR]

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.