DEBIT cards annual fees waiver policy

tiffanytu

Reaction score
dear experts

anyone knows about the annual fees waiver policy for DEBIT cards?

is it difficult to get waivers for DEBIT cards?

is it the same situation as CREDIT cards?

seems like in this forum everyone talks about the fee waiver for CREDIT cards.

Thanks in advance

BigMonkey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
get debit card that don't charge annual fee, you will save yourself the headache. (make sure you have a savings account with that bank that u choose to have debit card with)

get only those cc that give you something in return that is of value to you if you want to go for cc.

with reference to your other thread, annual fee is also another means for bank to earn revenue.

Last edited:

Rainbow1112

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
uob debit card charging 8 dollars per year, but it easy to waive.

Got 1 UOB card that charge $18..

Mine cost $10/year. I use it for small transaction If i'm not wrong 18 transaction /year and they will auto waive?

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It’s not hard to find debit cards in Singapore with zero annual fee. Examples:

DBS/POSB: Most $0, but the DBS Takashimaya Debit Card has a small annual fee after 3 years
Citibank: $0
OCBC: $0 for the FRANK (standard design) and Yes! cards
UOB: All have annual fees (eventually), but 3 of them have annual fee waivers with at least 12 yearly transactions (of any amount)
CIMB: $0
Maybank: $0 for the Platinum Debit Card
Bank of China Singapore: $0
ICBC Singapore: $0
Standard Chartered Singapore: Sometimes $0, but depends on account type.
HSBC Singapore: $0

dreamycrunch

Reaction score
Any know if AXS/SAM transactions on UOB debit card (charged to mastercard/visa portion) counted as 12 mastercard/visa transactions per year eligible for annual fee waival or not?

Macy345

Reaction score
I just got charged $18 membership fee after my first time account opening with uob in Jun last month. I thought they say they only require me to spend on master card transaction p.a only. Now I got charged within a month. Somemore on the day that I open the uob account, I still got scammed by their staff to buy endowment plan that cost 50k+, really very unhappy with uob.

efreelancer

Reaction score
Which debit card charge you fees? It's usually free.

Ha ha thats what I think so too - no annual fees for debit cards. But UOB secretly charged me $18 (no sound at all). And cannot waive. UOB keep changing the terms and even up the min bal to $1000. Smelly sia.

peppermint7

Master Member
Reaction score
Ha ha thats what I think so too - no annual fees for debit cards. But UOB secretly charged me $18 (no sound at all). And cannot waive. UOB keep changing the terms and even up the min bal to $1000. Smelly sia.

omg! thanks for the heads up! I didn't even know got charges until see u guys sharing here. I hurriedly go trace back and true enough they charged me $18 for my debit card back in August. I called up the bank just now and managed to get them to waive for me. now I change back to paper statement cos I didn't bother to check e statement as this account i seldom use. with paper statement i will not miss any charges.

by the way my unisave acc min balance remains at $500. whereas uob one acc min is $1k

Last edited:
Reaction score

Fees for UOB debit cards have been around for a few years liow, based on information published on their product webpages.

peppermint7

Master Member
Reaction score
I have signed up for the uob debit card when they gave me 3 year fee waival. last year is the 4th year thus they start charging. for those of u who had hold this card for long. if let's say u didn't use the card at all. is it easy to waive the $18 year after year? i am thinking of giving up the card and convert it to normal atm card if lets say the waival is tough

Soul77

Reaction score
My OCBC Plus debit visa charged annual fee of $24. Just call in to get it waived.

hclee01

Master Member
Reaction score
I have signed up for the uob debit card when they gave me 3 year fee waival. last year is the 4th year thus they start charging. for those of u who had hold this card for long. if let's say u didn't use the card at all. is it easy to waive the $18 year after year? i am thinking of giving up the card and convert it to normal atm card if lets say the waival is tough

One official way to get a UOB debit card annual fee waiver is to clock up 12 debit card transactions. Example, if you go to NTUC or cold storage and buy a bottle of water, you can tap the card for payment. 12 times and your debit card annual fee will be waived.

https://www.uob.com.sg/debit/fees/debit_card_fees.pdf

Opps-gal

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Like to find out... So hard to find free debit card. Don't usually use the card. :(

DenOOO

Reaction score

This is my 4th year and i got charged for my debit card.

Just called in and CSO said can apply for waiver same as credit card.

Instant approval for fee waiver after entering the details through automated system. :s12:

peppermint7

Master Member
Reaction score
This is my 4th year and i got charged for my debit card.

Just called in and CSO said can apply for waiver same as credit card.

Instant approval for fee waiver after entering the details through automated system. :s12:

I've managed to waive for my 1st fee after 3rd year. Just the subsequent year will they let us waive easily is a question cos usually when u call. They'll ask "have u ask for waival before?" Hope is not 1st time lucky ,đŸ˜…

DenOOO

Reaction score
I've managed to waive for my 1st fee after 3rd year. Just the subsequent year will they let us waive easily is a question cos usually when u call. They'll ask "have u ask for waival before?" Hope is not 1st time lucky ,��

topup 12 x $1 to singtel dash for annual fee waiver :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.