Single LAN cable with Network trunk setup without loop back LAN wire to DB

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
Reading posts here..mostly stuck with Single Lan point to living hall with no return line to loop back to DB for further distribution.

There is one solution that you dont need to lay extra cable yet able to loop back for further distribution without much suffer on bandwidth ( up to 1 GB Full duplex).

By using 2 managed switch, you can achieve this goal .

1. ONT -> Managed Switch 1(MS1) => Network truck with single LAN cable to link to Managed Switch 2 => Living Hall Router & its LAN Port loop back to MS2 switch to be routed back to MS1 LAN Port for other rooms distributions.

MS1 Setup
- 1 Trunk Port ( ONT -> MS1-Trunk Port -> MS2 -Trunk Port-> Router WAN Port
- VLan grouping based on ISP vlan settings

-Define Vlan Group for Other rooms distribution, Vlan-InterLAN

MS2-Setup
-Dedicted TrunkPort to route traffic from MS1 and To MS1
-Vlan group for Router WAN Port & Trunk
-Vlan group ports for Router's LANPORT to MS1 Lan Ports- Vlan -InterLAN

Since the only physical LAN has full duplex bandwidth of 1GBps Up and 1 GBps Down.

Since the internet application mostly download more than upload. With assumption of 9:1 Ratio of Download /Upload (Mainly for signal acknowledgement) .

You will have 900Mbps for download bandwidth and 100 Mbps for uplink acknowledgement.

Single Trunk have 2 lanes of Download link(DL) and 2 lanes of UpLink (UL)

Download Link Signal
1.Internet ->ONT ->Trunk MS1 (Trunk of 2 lanes download) -> MS2 ( 2 Lanes of receiving ) to Router WAN

2. LAN Ports from MS1 Network will use the same DL lanes to transfer signal back to Router's Lan Port.
*This uplink signal ration should be around 10% of Internet incoming traffic

Uplink Path
1) Wan Out from Router to ONT to Internet
10% of Downlink traffic
2) Network traffic From Router's LAN Port ( MS2 ) to MS1-LAN download traffics
Since this is internet download, you still have 90% bandwidth or 900 Mbps.

I have ordered 2 managed Switch from Amazon with trunk capability to experiment this concept. I should be able to share more after getting the switches from Amazon. $120 project...

This concept is not new, it is documented by many network switch makers.
One of the more easy to understand concept is found at Mikrotek wiki page.

Update(31 Dec 2017)
Adding validated Setup Diagram
26229984_1615410415193060_7850651826501658736_n.jpg

Last edited:

ridney

Reaction score
It's a good idea and I think it would work just fine. Best if you can provide a diagram so it's properly understood. Very hard to imagine how it would look like.

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
Good reference.
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?76663-TP-LINK-TL-SG108E-VLAN-configuration-issue

*The Vlan IDs quoted here are examples, not Singtel Vlan settings
attachment.php

TP-link way of MTU Vlan trunking is very confusing.
At the end , simple Vlan with overlapping of Port get the job done.

I am going to use more flexible Managed switches with more control over the True Multiple Vlan trunking .

My Cisco 200-08 and Mikrotek RB2600GS are on the way from Amazon..hope to have the bandwidth to play with this.

Last edited:

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
The goals are to achieve below flexibilities
1.IPTV at living hall without powering up router
2.main router at living hall for
-best wireless coverage for living hall wireless devices
-stable LAN connections for other streaming boxes /NAS
3.COMMON single LAN cable to carry all traffics back to DB
- blame so called national structural cabling guidelines
4. After gateway traffics get routed out to DB for further distribution with flat subnet mask.
Avoid double NAT. All uPnp , port forwarding continue to work
5. Flexible to deploy own Router, MESH network, don't need to use telco provided router.

Anyone wanna donate one managed switch for me to experiment?
Lacking one TPLINK easy smart switch to carry out the experiment.

I have one TPLINK Sg108E currently deployed to bypass use of SingTel router , need one more managed to experiment ..

Sent from Google PIXEL C using GAGT

Last edited:

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
Concept validated with 2 TP-LInk TP-SG108E setup with my Singtel FIbre connection. The System bypass Singtel Router to use Google OnHub Mesh system ( GOogle Wifi) and IPTV is working correctly.

Speed Impact due to sharing of DOwnlink and Uplink with Single cable is insignificant .

Full Setup Diagram
Using 2 TPLink managed Switch, A Single LAN Cable can be used to route traffic to Router at Living Home + IPTV + Bypassing Singtel Router.
26172356_1615410415193060_7850651826501658736_o.jpg

Speed Test

The speed impact is insignificant. I was running video steaming when the test was performed. I would say there are around 10% impact ,i can get 900MBps download when using single SW system. Upload Speed is not impacted.

26112453_1615422898525145_5841928392466915119_n.jpg

DB Side Vlan Settings
26219572_1615410345193067_1910137767107478781_n.jpg

PVID Settings
26169291_1615410205193081_7604427169040522736_n.jpg

Living Hall Vlan Settings
26195488_1615410248526410_7909658433630996933_n.jpg

Vlan PVID settings
Correction Port 2 PVID should be 10
26001343_1615467738520661_3193047245327154532_n.jpg

Both Managed Switches are using same priority setting 802.1P
25591980_1609522005781901_3811660026345203686_n.jpg

Last edited:

moron+genius

Reaction score
Can share the vlan settings in both switches’ webpages? Networking noobs can’t quite understand the vlan settings written in ur diagram but I’m keen 2 learn. Thanks

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
Can share the vlan settings in both switches’ webpages? Networking noobs can’t quite understand the vlan settings written in ur diagram but I’m keen 2 learn. Thanks

I updated my thread to have the setup information.

Quick quick go buy the Managed Switches to explore , i suggest to buy the 8Ports version .It comes in handy when you are using MESH network with only Single LAN Port..

Haha.tomorrow i am going to revert to my Single SW Setup..
I paid $50 to buy extra switch to play with it. After tomorrow, I will be back to my busy work life ..no more time to explore.

Didnt play with network setup for many years..still feel good on playing with it.

I spent more money buying managed Switches than Router :( :(

sportyant

Reaction score
Reading posts here..mostly stuck with Single Lan point to living hall with no return line to loop back to DB for further distribution.

There is one solution that you dont need to lay extra cable yet able to loop back for further distribution without much suffer on bandwidth ( up to 1 GB Full duplex).

By using 2 managed switch, you can achieve this goal .

1. ONT -> Managed Switch 1(MS1) => Network truck with single LAN cable to link to Managed Switch 2 => Living Hall Router & its LAN Port loop back to MS2 switch to be routed back to MS1 LAN Port for other rooms distributions.

MS1 Setup
- 1 Trunk Port ( ONT -> MS1-Trunk Port -> MS2 -Trunk Port-> Router WAN Port
- VLan grouping based on ISP vlan settings

-Define Vlan Group for Other rooms distribution, Vlan-InterLAN

MS2-Setup
-Dedicted TrunkPort to route traffic from MS1 and To MS1
-Vlan group for Router WAN Port & Trunk
-Vlan group ports for Router's LANPORT to MS1 Lan Ports- Vlan -InterLAN

Since the only physical LAN has full duplex bandwidth of 1GBps Up and 1 GBps Down.

Since the internet application mostly download more than upload. With assumption of 9:1 Ratio of Download /Upload (Mainly for signal acknowledgement) .

You will have 900Mbps for download bandwidth and 100 Mbps for uplink acknowledgement.

Single Trunk have 2 lanes of Download link(DL) and 2 lanes of UpLink (UL)

Download Link Signal
1.Internet ->ONT ->Trunk MS1 (Trunk of 2 lanes download) -> MS2 ( 2 Lanes of receiving ) to Router WAN

2. LAN Ports from MS1 Network will use the same DL lanes to transfer signal back to Router's Lan Port.
*This uplink signal ration should be around 10% of Internet incoming traffic

Uplink Path
1) Wan Out from Router to ONT to Internet
10% of Downlink traffic
2) Network traffic From Router's LAN Port ( MS2 ) to MS1-LAN download traffics
Since this is internet download, you still have 90% bandwidth or 900 Mbps.

I have ordered 2 managed Switch from Amazon with trunk capability to experiment this concept. I should be able to share more after getting the switches from Amazon. $120 project...

This concept is not new, it is documented by many network switch makers.
One of the more easy to understand concept is found at Mikrotek wiki page.

Update(31 Dec 2017)
Adding validated Setup Diagram
26172356_1615410415193060_7850651826501658736_o.jpg

Thanks for sharing your configuration.

Sorry for a newbie question.

From your configuration. u use only one connect from ONT port to switch 2 and deploy the main router at the living room.

I like this configuration as no need to waste a router @ DB , my only concern will that affect the speed.

Most case i see that ppl use 2 connection from
a) ONT port 2 > Switch
2) ONT port 1 > router >switch

I am thinking to get one SG108E @ DB and one SG105E @ Master BR, not sure will that work.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
As for which port to use it is really dependent on Telco Setup.

I am using Singtel Fibre with MIO TV, its ONT only use single Port to provide Vlan 10(Internet ) & Vlan 20(IPTV)
Singtel FIbre with TV Setup

If you have dedicated Port for IPTV, the setup is even more easy.

It is really up to you.
It is $36 versus $49 (8 Ports) . I dont mind paying $15 more to get 3 more ports.

I keep the 8 Ports switch as backup , as I am running Single managed SW system as I have 2 loop back cables to DB.
This study is purely for network concept exploration.

Indeed TP-Link system is very difficult to understand, you really need to experiment to understand its logic. The security could be difficult to manage.

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I am using Singtel Fibre with MIO TV, its ONT only use single Port to provide Vlan 10(Internet ) & Vlan 20(IPTV)

It is really up to you.
It is $36 versus $49 (8 Ports) . I dont mind paying $15 more to get 3 more ports.

I keep the 8 Ports switch as backup , as I am running Single managed SW system as I have 2 loop back cables to DB.

Indeed TP-Link system is very difficult to understand, you really need to experiment to understand its logic. The security could be difficult to manage.

Using Starhub according to the post on the other thread.

May work differently from Singtel MIO TV but the setup of Managed Switch would be more or less the same.

As i had provided the link to another hwz forum on 2 SH IPTV are using 2 managed switches.

For 8-ports switch is better as there are enough room for connection to other devices beside the fixed connected to data point, router, IPTV.

sportyant

Reaction score

May work differently from Singtel MIO TV but the setup of Managed Switch would be more or less the same.

As i had provided the link to another hwz forum on 2 SH IPTV are using 2 managed switches.

For 8-ports switch is better as there are enough room for connection to other devices beside the fixed connected to data point, router, IPTV.

Thanks for the information.

After reading up the links, here is what i have drawn up.
Not sure if it works or not.

Slide1.jpg

sportyant

Reaction score

It is really up to you.

Thanks.

Here is what i plan to do , but not sure if it works or not.

Still bit confused with the tag and untag thing.

Slide1.jpg

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Here is what i plan to do , but not sure if it works or not.

Still bit confused with the tag and untag thing.

Slide1.jpg

You need to buy the Switch back ,at least a pair to start exploring and also read the Switch Manual carefully, it is using concise English to describe rather than putting down illustrations to explain the case. It is more of testing of your understanding on the language than describing things in Engineering way.

A few points to take note
1) Each brand of Managed Switch used slightly different deployment topology on Trunking.
-Cisco is using a clearer way to manage the Trunk for multiple Vlan
-TP-Link, Multiple way depends on Managed Switch classes.

• [*]-For Easy Managed SG105/8E , it takes away most settings to make it EASY but more confusing.
    [*]-The Switches described in the Starhub threads are a better class of TPLink switch which give clear control on Multiple Vlan trunking​

With reference to your drawing
Use case Assumptions
1.On Starhub Fibre with Multiple IPTV at remote locations
2. Use Single Cable Trunk to carry IPTV & After Router's LAN to multiple locations.
3. TP-link SG105/8E Easy Managed switches are used.
4. Just my assumptions, Not familiar with Starhub actual Vlan ID.
-IPTV Vlan ID:1091, Signal from ONT Port-2
-Internet -> No Vlan ID, Signal from ONT Port-1

My Proposal
1. Your Vlan Topology should be simplified to 2 types
  • -IPTV , use the exact Vlan ID:1091
  • - After Internet Gateway(Router) Internal network signal distribution for Access Point( AP) and Ethernet ports usage
    Use Vlan ID:100, avoid using Vlan ID:10 (this is known signal for Singtel Internet)

The 3rd Vlan20 is redundant for your application with Wan directly connected to the ONT.

On DB SW1
-2 Trunking by Port 1 & 8 to carry all signals (IPTV and after gateway
Vlan 1091 : Tagged Port 1,2 & 8
Vlan 100: Tagged Port: 1,8, & Untagged: 3-7

Port PVID settings-Very Important , you must set correctly
Port 1,8 PVID=1
Port 2, PVID=1091
Port 3-7, PVID=100

On Living Room SW2 & SW3

Vlan Settings
Vlan ID :1091, Tagged Port 1, tagged: *Port 2

*Port 2: Tagged or Untagged ? is really dependent on IPTV Settings, if the IPTV Server is expecting tagged Frame on return , then Port 2 output should be tagged. Just experiment on this to find out.

*Singtel IPTV itself, Untagged Port settings is used, signal going back to server is without tagged frame.

Vlan ID:100, Tagged Port-1, Untag Port 3-5

Port PVID Settings
Port 1: PVID=1
Port 2: PVID=1091
Port 3-5, PVID=100

You need to set the 802.1P QoS Priority Settings, try using the auto configuration with 802.1P QoS setting

Notes on TP-Link switch FW bugs
1. Try applying Save configurations after completing the full setup.
-There are bugs in the FW that only save configurations once.
2. Clicking applying change of settings is only effective for current power cycle, you need to use the external Save Configurations to really write to Flash memory.
3. It is always good to use backup configuration to File to backup known good working configuration. Anything wrong you can restore to good working point.

4. Validate Switch retaining last settings after power cycling . I found the switch sometimes does not save your last applied settings..
-Wasting many hours to figure out this stupid bugs

Last edited:

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score

Yes I read the Starhub thread, the Network Switch used could confuse users to the Core . What was quoted on the the Starhub thread is using better class of TP-Link switch ,which is more easy to manage with clear Ingress/Egress rules, without that it is all guessing works for the TP-Link Easy Managed Switch

You may want to try that out yourself to see the complexity.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes I read the Starhub thread, the Network Switch used could confuse users to the Core . What was quoted on the the Starhub thread is using better class of TP-Link switch ,which is more easy to manage with clear Ingress/Egress rules, without that it is all guessing works for the TP-Link Easy Managed Switch

You may want to try that out yourself to see the complexity.
Haha..
Too complex for me as anyway i am only one using IPTV in my flat.
Continue your advice to him on this as it is beyond me to gasp.

Good work..

Happy New Year 2018.

guiguy

Reaction score
Last edited:

sportyant

Reaction score
You need to buy the Switch back ,at least a pair to start exploring and also read the Switch Manual carefully, it is using concise English to describe rather than putting down illustrations to explain the case. It is more of testing of your understanding on the language than describing things in Engineering way.

A few points to take note
1) Each brand of Managed Switch used slightly different deployment topology on Trunking.
-Cisco is using a clearer way to manage the Trunk for multiple Vlan
-TP-Link, Multiple way depends on Managed Switch classes.

• [*]-For Easy Managed SG105/8E , it takes away most settings to make it EASY but more confusing.
    [*]-The Switches described in the Starhub threads are a better class of TPLink switch which give clear control on Multiple Vlan trunking​

With reference to your drawing
Use case Assumptions
1.On Starhub Fibre with Multiple IPTV at remote locations
2. Use Single Cable Trunk to carry IPTV & After Router's LAN to multiple locations.
3. TP-link SG105/8E Easy Managed switches are used.
4. Just my assumptions, Not familiar with Starhub actual Vlan ID.
-IPTV Vlan ID:1091, Signal from ONT Port-2
-Internet -> No Vlan ID, Signal from ONT Port-1

My Proposal
1. Your Vlan Topology should be simplified to 2 types
  • -IPTV , use the exact Vlan ID:1091
  • - After Internet Gateway(Router) Internal network signal distribution for Access Point( AP) and Ethernet ports usage
    Use Vlan ID:100, avoid using Vlan ID:10 (this is known signal for Singtel Internet)

The 3rd Vlan20 is redundant for your application with Wan directly connected to the ONT.

On DB SW1
-2 Trunking by Port 1 & 8 to carry all signals (IPTV and after gateway
Vlan 1091 : Tagged Port 1,2 & 8
Vlan 100: Tagged Port: 1,8, & Untagged: 3-7

Port PVID settings-Very Important , you must set correctly
Port 1,8 PVID=1
Port 2, PVID=1091
Port 3-7, PVID=100

On Living Room SW2 & SW3

Vlan Settings
Vlan ID :1091, Tagged Port 1, tagged: *Port 2

*Port 2: Tagged or Untagged ? is really dependent on IPTV Settings, if the IPTV Server is expecting tagged Frame on return , then Port 2 output should be tagged. Just experiment on this to find out.

*Singtel IPTV itself, Untagged Port settings is used, signal going back to server is without tagged frame.

Vlan ID:100, Tagged Port-1, Untag Port 3-5

Port PVID Settings
Port 1: PVID=1
Port 2: PVID=1091
Port 3-5, PVID=100

You need to set the 802.1P QoS Priority Settings, try using the auto configuration with 802.1P QoS setting

Notes on TP-Link switch FW bugs
1. Try applying Save configurations after completing the full setup.
-There are bugs in the FW that only save configurations once.
2. Clicking applying change of settings is only effective for current power cycle, you need to use the external Save Configurations to really write to Flash memory.
3. It is always good to use backup configuration to File to backup known good working configuration. Anything wrong you can restore to good working point.

4. Validate Switch retaining last settings after power cycling . I found the switch sometimes does not save your last applied settings..
-Wasting many hours to figure out this stupid bugs

Thank you so much for the clear explanation and pointers.

Will give it a try once my flat renovation complete (hopefully before CNY)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.