Need some info for SCDF:)

NS_han

Reaction score
They have already been thinking about it for a long time, it was only confirmed a few months ago though. Not too sure when they are going to start implementing it, either with the next batch or the batch after.

Well, I feel the same way, 6 months is way too short luckily you would normally be in the same truck as a warrant officer that is supposed to take you under his wing and guide you so you won't actually do doing much 'commanding' in that sense.

If by truck you mean a pumper then yeah. DO PL will have your RC commanding. NCO PL will have your DRC commanding. But either way, you still have to take charge of your fireman. RC/DRC will not have time to tell the fireman what to do, they will be busy with AOS and comms. They will make the command decision and you will bring the fireman to carry out the task.

If turning out in LF then you are the initial ground commander till DO/NCO arrive. :s22:

tintinspartan

Reaction score
Usually when you enlist into BRT, you confine in camp for Week 1 and Week 2, with the instructors teaching you all the basic Medical, footdrill and CD knowledge. Interviews will also be conducted by your Platoon Commander in terms of your suitability to cross to CDA.

During this period, some ppl who crossed over after PTP will end up coming back as OOC due to injuries, IPPT fail and so on. The vacated slots will then be filled up by the incoming BRT people who are deemed fit.

If you're lucky, you get to cross and pass out as LCP (for FFC) or SGT (for SCC). High-scoring NSFs passing out from SCC have an option of staying on for another 4 months to cross to RCC, in which you will pass out as a LTA (SCDF Officer)

If you stay, you will continue with 3 weeks of BRT before POPing to your respective vocations. Most people end up in SRU, Medics, Clerks, Rescuers, Ops and Provost. These vocations are pretty decent and interesting but usually, if you are siao on, i suggest not to end up as Storeman or even worse, Gen Tech. Gen Tech is not a respected vocation and from experience, you either end up being pushed about or AWOL cause honestly, there isn't much thinking a Gen Tech can do. Also the rare chance of promotion.

The different vocations in SCDF:

Frontline Vocation
Rota Commander - 9 months course. A class of 35 OCTs will undergo firefighting training plus additional training in command and control. Usually new regulars and SAF BMT people get posted here. Outstanding SCTs from SCC will get to cross here. Once pass out, you will be either a Rota Commander at the fire station/unit or a Platoon Commander at NSTI, handling recruits. The most handsome pay in NS with 1,100 + 300 for your skills (fire badge).

Section Commander - 6 months course. A class of 70 - 80 SCTs will undergo firefighting training plus additional training in command and control. Often regulars come here. Upon passing out, you will either be a Section Commander at fire station/unit or stay back in CDA to become fire instructor. SGT pay upon passing out with 300 worth of skills allowance to top it all off. At fire station, working hours 24 hour shift, 2 day off.

There has been word that the SCC will be reduced to 5 months though in future, this information can be verified.

Firefighter - 3 months course. A class of recruits will undergo basic firefighting training. Usually the first line of attack and often supports the section commander in various operations. Pass out as a LCP + 300 skills allowance with oppurtunity to post out to SCDF Marine Command. 24 hour shift, 2 day off.

Medic Orderly- 5 week course. Post out to station. 2 Day - 2 Off - 2 Night - 2 Off. Ambulance calls are 10 - 20 times more frequent than fire calls so be prepared. $100 skills allowance (correct me if i'm wrong)

Special Rescuer - 3 week course. Post out to SRU. 1 24hour ****, 2 off. 9am report to NSTI, book out 10am next day. Only turn out in special incidents only. Often deployed as support personnel in major incidents. Majority NSF unit. However, there has been word that SRU will be disbanded within the coming years though information is not confirmed. $300 risk/skills allowance on top of basic NSF pay.

Vocational (Support)
Instructor - If you stood out in your recruit life as "kilat", you will most likely be handpicked to become an instructor either at CDA, NSTI or NCDCC. You are responsible in imparting essential knowledge to new recruits (NSTI), trainees or members of public (CDA), or secondary school students (NCDCC). However, there is no skill allowance for this respectable vocation due to alot of funny reasons but if you like your job, you wouldn't mind the pay. Truth be told, one of the best and most satisfying vocations in NS imo.

Provost - 3 week course. Post out to HQ SCDF (East)/CDA (West)/CD Detention Barracks (West)/Various Divisions... Main purpose is to enforce security,uphold discipline and the CD Act (which is some form of Force law) Usually those who are tough looking and have interest in working security will be selected. 2 Day - 2 Night - 2 Off. $100 risk/skill allowance on top of basic pay.

Infocomm - 10 day course. Post out to various places to ensure efficient telecommunications. Usually 8-6 Office Hours or ROTA 2 Day - 2 Night - 2 Off. Some lucky ones end up as Command Vehicle Orderly will work 24 hour shift with 2 Off.

Clerk - 10 day course. Post out to various places to ensure timely updating of administrative records and often involved in planning out various initiatives within SCDF. Depends on your department, this is actually one of the more mentally demanding vocations as alot of force-sensitive documents pass in and out of the office. Upside though is that if you have no work, at least you can spend some time reading in the office. Majority 8-6 Office Hours.

Storeman - 5 day course. Post out to various places to ensure updating of logistics information and to ensure the smooth delivery of certain force materials within the unit. Also in-charge to stock check inventory (i.e Uniforms, Paper, Boots, PPE) Majority 8-6 Office Hours.

Gen Tech. Hard to say who ends up here but usually those who have AWOLed or Desert NS for multiple times comes from this vocation. Not a mental job and often regarded as a useless vocation. Majority 8-6 office hours. Rare chance of promotion.

All vocations with skills allowance needs NSF to pass both IPPT and their respective skills certification tests to qualify for it. To qualify for CPL or SGT in most support vocation, a pass in IPPT is a must, failure of which results in stagnation of rank to LCP.

If NSF commits disciplinary offence and is charged, demotion of rank or even no promotion is likely.

All in all, this is the best i can share with you what are the various vocations there are in SCDF. Hope that this info will benefit the future enlistees coming to SCDF.

NS is a love-hate thing. Such as life, you gotta hate it in order to love it. It's just two years of our time. Make the best and most functional use of it. Good luck. :)

xbearbishopx

Reaction score
Usually when you enlist into BRT, you confine in camp for Week 1 and Week 2, with the instructors teaching you all the basic Medical, footdrill and CD knowledge. Interviews will also be conducted by your Platoon Commander in terms of your suitability to cross to CDA.

During this period, some ppl who crossed over after PTP will end up coming back as OOC due to injuries, IPPT fail and so on. The vacated slots will then be filled up by the incoming BRT people who are deemed fit.

If you're lucky, you get to cross and pass out as LCP (for FFC) or SGT (for SCC). High-scoring NSFs passing out from SCC have an option of staying on for another 4 months to cross to RCC, in which you will pass out as a LTA (SCDF Officer)

If you stay, you will continue with 3 weeks of BRT before POPing to your respective vocations. Most people end up in SRU, Medics, Clerks, Rescuers, Ops and Provost. These vocations are pretty decent and interesting but usually, if you are siao on, i suggest not to end up as Storeman or even worse, Gen Tech. Gen Tech is not a respected vocation and from experience, you either end up being pushed about or AWOL cause honestly, there isn't much thinking a Gen Tech can do. Also the rare chance of promotion.

The different vocations in SCDF:

Frontline Vocation
Rota Commander - 9 months course. A class of 35 OCTs will undergo firefighting training plus additional training in command and control. Usually new regulars and SAF BMT people get posted here. Outstanding SCTs from SCC will get to cross here. Once pass out, you will be either a Rota Commander at the fire station/unit or a Platoon Commander at NSTI, handling recruits. The most handsome pay in NS with 1,100 + 300 for your skills (fire badge).

Section Commander - 6 months course. A class of 70 - 80 SCTs will undergo firefighting training plus additional training in command and control. Often regulars come here. Upon passing out, you will either be a Section Commander at fire station/unit or stay back in CDA to become fire instructor. SGT pay upon passing out with 300 worth of skills allowance to top it all off. At fire station, working hours 24 hour shift, 2 day off.

There has been word that the SCC will be reduced to 5 months though in future, this information can be verified.

Firefighter - 3 months course. A class of recruits will undergo basic firefighting training. Usually the first line of attack and often supports the section commander in various operations. Pass out as a LCP + 300 skills allowance with oppurtunity to post out to SCDF Marine Command. 24 hour shift, 2 day off.

Medic Orderly- 5 week course. Post out to station. 2 Day - 2 Off - 2 Night - 2 Off. Ambulance calls are 10 - 20 times more frequent than fire calls so be prepared. $100 skills allowance (correct me if i'm wrong)

Special Rescuer - 3 week course. Post out to SRU. 1 24hour ****, 2 off. 9am report to NSTI, book out 10am next day. Only turn out in special incidents only. Often deployed as support personnel in major incidents. Majority NSF unit. However, there has been word that SRU will be disbanded within the coming years though information is not confirmed. $300 risk/skills allowance on top of basic NSF pay.

Vocational (Support)
Instructor - If you stood out in your recruit life as "kilat", you will most likely be handpicked to become an instructor either at CDA, NSTI or NCDCC. You are responsible in imparting essential knowledge to new recruits (NSTI), trainees or members of public (CDA), or secondary school students (NCDCC). However, there is no skill allowance for this respectable vocation due to alot of funny reasons but if you like your job, you wouldn't mind the pay. Truth be told, one of the best and most satisfying vocations in NS imo.

Provost - 3 week course. Post out to HQ SCDF (East)/CDA (West)/CD Detention Barracks (West)/Various Divisions... Main purpose is to enforce security,uphold discipline and the CD Act (which is some form of Force law) Usually those who are tough looking and have interest in working security will be selected. 2 Day - 2 Night - 2 Off. $100 risk/skill allowance on top of basic pay.

Infocomm - 10 day course. Post out to various places to ensure efficient telecommunications. Usually 8-6 Office Hours or ROTA 2 Day - 2 Night - 2 Off. Some lucky ones end up as Command Vehicle Orderly will work 24 hour shift with 2 Off.

Clerk - 10 day course. Post out to various places to ensure timely updating of administrative records and often involved in planning out various initiatives within SCDF. Depends on your department, this is actually one of the more mentally demanding vocations as alot of force-sensitive documents pass in and out of the office. Upside though is that if you have no work, at least you can spend some time reading in the office. Majority 8-6 Office Hours.

Storeman - 5 day course. Post out to various places to ensure updating of logistics information and to ensure the smooth delivery of certain force materials within the unit. Also in-charge to stock check inventory (i.e Uniforms, Paper, Boots, PPE) Majority 8-6 Office Hours.

Gen Tech. Hard to say who ends up here but usually those who have AWOLed or Desert NS for multiple times comes from this vocation. Not a mental job and often regarded as a useless vocation. Majority 8-6 office hours. Rare chance of promotion.

All vocations with skills allowance needs NSF to pass both IPPT and their respective skills certification tests to qualify for it. To qualify for CPL or SGT in most support vocation, a pass in IPPT is a must, failure of which results in stagnation of rank to LCP.

If NSF commits disciplinary offence and is charged, demotion of rank or even no promotion is likely.

All in all, this is the best i can share with you what are the various vocations there are in SCDF. Hope that this info will benefit the future enlistees coming to SCDF.

NS is a love-hate thing. Such as life, you gotta hate it in order to love it. It's just two years of our time. Make the best and most functional use of it. Good luck. :)

Thanks for the detailed information! :D well i am already a first aid trained instructor. i am a lifesaving teacher, currently teaching lifeguards around Singapore swimming, first aid and CPR knowledge :) hopefully to get into SGT/Officer :x that is my aim haha!Fitness wise i guess for me should be alright i suppose?:) currently still training competitively for swimming, and my friend who is a fireman now say that i should go into fireman lol.. base on my fitness and pes status. but i hope that i can get into sgt or officer :) i wan some challenge! and for foot drill, should be ok as i was a NCC member in my secondary school days and was a sergeant haha!

Last edited:

klap_hanz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got a fren PES B, got diploma n no crimminal record, he kena posted straight to SCDF HQ as admin clerk, he now everyday 8am to 6pm do office work only and he don't even need to go thru any training like PTP or BRT too and also don't need to take n pass IPPT too...

Is it becoz he is really lucky or did he lie to us about his PES status ? Or he is juz super lucky to get posted to such a senang vocation without needing to keng ??

Last edited:

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got a fren PES B, got diploma n no crimminal record, he kena posted straight to SCDF HQ as admin clerk, he now everyday 8am to 6pm do office work only and he don't even need to go thru any training like PTP or BRT too and also don't need to take n pass IPPT too...

Is it becoz he is really lucky or did he lie to us about his PES status ? Or he is juz super lucky to get posted to such a senang vocation without needing to keng ??
Sounds like smoke

EPenderson

Reaction score
Good thing about scdf is everyone knows each other. I'm not sure about now, but at least under me, I can fight for my trainees posting all the way to hq.

I have seen some of my mates getting to their desired vocation despite being chosen for another. My BRT OC was that good. (Not applicable to fire training cos apparently they have first option on all the trainees)

So I recommend you angkat some bola, will help you get to your desired vocation. If possible, go for instructor roles in CDA as Firefighters instructors or SCC instructors (but not NSTI instructors hor, those are boring).

If you like swimming, request for PTI become swimming lesson instructor cum lifeguards there.

Tactfully ask if got ppl ORDing soon or not, if got vacancy and you are on good terms if the instructors, high chance get in.

Franzz, may I PM you? Sorry, your inbox is full.

EPenderson

Reaction score
Admin not bad also if you get in the right place.

SCDF is under HomeTeam, which is under MHA, which houses the PMO.

I have a few friends who got jobs as Foreign Liaison Officers; office hours, office attire, lunch outside and get to know important people.

One guy bring along his photo portfolio to camp, OC fight for him and send him off as a photographer with MHA Press team.

SCDF clerk is among the luckiest in all of NS. I know a few Chinese guys who were seconded to MHA to serve as office boys. Wear office attire, 9-5 every day, makan outside. Best part, depending on where you were attached to, your testimony will be signed by VIP. My friend served the DPM, guess who signed his testimony. Sure opened up many doors.

Hi. Could you elaborate more on the above? Would you happen to know how they choose these people? Is there anything I could do (without causing offence)? ><

Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Franzz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi. Could you elaborate more on the above? Would you happen to know how they choose these people? Is there anything I could do (without causing offence)? ><

Thanks. :)
I don’t really have a clue on the selection process. I used to work with the senior officer in charge of all the clerk; Normally posting comes from HQ. But for these guys, it’s direct from MHA. So it seems it is out of our authority.

Your best bet is if you are Chinese and assigned as a Clerk, and your family background is clean. Anything else is go popi popi already.

EPenderson

Reaction score
I don’t really have a clue on the selection process. I used to work with the senior officer in charge of all the clerk; Normally posting comes from HQ. But for these guys, it’s direct from MHA. So it seems it is out of our authority.

Your best bet is if you are Chinese and assigned as a Clerk, and your family background is clean. Anything else is go popi popi already.

Posting for these guys comes directly from MHA? :s31:

Of those you knew, were they high-fliers? I.e. elite schools, awards/scholarships (you get the drill) ><

*sigh* ..I'm anything but a high-flier.. guess I can only pray?

Last edited:

Franzz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Posting for these guys comes directly from MHA?

Of those you knew, were they high-fliers? I.e. elite schools, awards/scholarships (you get the drill) ><
They posted to SCDF
Then MHA select then to be seconded over.
I suspect is because MHA will do family background beforehand.

They are a mixed bag. Got one is white horse. But other 2 I knew were ITE kids; one is national bowler the other is average joe.

But all Chinese and vocation is Clerks.

EPenderson

Reaction score
They posted to SCDF
Then MHA select then to be seconded over.
I suspect is because MHA will do family background beforehand.

They are a mixed bag. Got one is white horse. But other 2 I knew were ITE kids; one is national bowler the other is average joe.

But all Chinese and vocation is Clerks.

Well, I'm Chinese. JC. PES E9L9 so unless I majorly screw-up I'll likely be a clerk. My dad's born and bred Singaporean. Mum was Malaysian though (now Singaporean). Guess that may not bode well for me? :/

In any case, thanks a lot for your help Franzz. You've been very kind. Have a good one.

I'm enlisting 9th Jan. I guess I can only hope.

Last edited:

Franzz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your mom being Malaysian is probably the reason you are in SCDF ba. I am mixed race with ancestors from many countries.

And in SCDF you can meet guys with foreign parents from the usual places like Malaysia, Myanmar, China to faraway places like US, UK and then you have kids from exotic places like Afghan, Russia, etc.

I sure I met a Laotian and Mongolian kid during my time also.

Franzz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
By the way, good luck have fun. Confirm will have culture shock but you get over it soon.

My advice to you is, network widely and create connections. Knowing more people will make your life easier. Next time for you, these socialising and politicking will be a survival skill in the workplace.

You can survive SCDF, you can survive anywhere cos anywhere is better than SCDF.

EPenderson

Reaction score
Your mom being Malaysian is probably the reason you are in SCDF ba. I am mixed race with ancestors from many countries.

Had thought about this but was still (pleasantly) surprised when I got my letter (though I was hoping for SPF xD). I mean, lots of kids have relatives in Malaysia what (or at least it seems fairly common to me). They can all fit into Home Team?

In any case though, I guess I got "lucky" (or unlucky depending on viewpoint). Definitely not complaining.

And in SCDF you can meet guys with foreign parents from the usual places like Malaysia, Myanmar, China to faraway places like US, UK and then you have kids from exotic places like Afghan, Russia, etc.

I sure I met a Laotian and Mongolian kid during my time also.

By the way, good luck have fun. Confirm will have culture shock but you get over it soon.

My advice to you is, network widely and create connections. Knowing more people will make your life easier. Next time for you, these socialising and politicking will be a survival skill in the workplace.

You can survive SCDF, you can survive anywhere cos anywhere is better than SCDF.

I'm probably one of the few who're looking forward to life in NS (..partially because of my PES :o :X ). Have longed for a change in environment for some time now.

Thanks Franzz! :) All the best in whatever you're doing too.

Last edited:

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
More specifically, at MHA. And how I could get in there/make a case for myself.

Most clerks get posted to SCDF HQ - at least that's what I've read.

Posting for these guys comes directly from MHA? :s31:

*sigh* ..I'm anything but a high-flier.. guess I can only pray?

Well, I'm Chinese. JC. PES E9L9 so unless I majorly screw-up I'll likely be a clerk. My dad's born and bred Singaporean. Mum was Malaysian though (now Singaporean). Guess that may not bode well for me? :/

In any case, thanks a lot for your help Franzz. You've been very kind. Have a good one.

I'm enlisting 9th Jan. I guess I can only hope.
Heard of the more you hope for something, the more you might not get it and the more you will be disappointed?
Had thought about this but was still (pleasantly) surprised when I got my letter (though I was hoping for SPF xD). I mean, lots of kids have relatives in Malaysia what (or at least it seems fairly common to me). They can all fit into Home Team?

In any case though, I guess I got "lucky" (or unlucky depending on viewpoint). Definitely not complaining.

I'm probably one of the few who're looking forward to life in NS (..partially because of my PES :o :X ). Have longed for a change in environment for some time now.

Thanks Franzz! :) All the best in whatever you're doing too.

you can speculate whatever you want, doesn't really matter tbh

Ebb136

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm thinking of signing on scdf but I'm not sure of whether to sign as a Section commander or as a rota commander. (I have a degree).
I wanna live that station life for as long as possible. I heard that as an SO, you an RC for about 2 years before he/she might become a commander of a station. I was wondering where else he/she might be posted to after then...?
Should I sign as SO or as a section commander, I just wanna be part of the action for as long as possible... don't judge...
SOs and Section commanders pls guide, thanks

Last edited:

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) You needs to have skill to make judgement as a Commander. There will not be enough stations if every RC are promoted for the appointment of station commander every 2 years of services. There are other positions like Investigating Officer & etc after your RC tour.

2) If ground work is what you want, sign on Section commander cause SO are groom to take up Management position (Eg: admin work). But with a degree & you sign on as Section commander is a bit wasted.

Hi guys I'm thinking of signing on scdf but I'm not sure of whether to sign as a Section commander or as a rota commander. (I have a degree).
I wanna live that station life for as long as possible. I heard that as an SO, you an RC for about 2 years before he/she might become a commander of a station. I was wondering where else he/she might be posted to after then...?
Should I sign as SO or as a section commander, I just wanna be part of the action for as long as possible... don't judge...
SOs and Section commanders pls guide, thanks

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.