Malaysia prepaid card

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have an old Celcom xpax card that I have been extending the validity for 2 years (RM 70) and another top up of MYR 30 within 6 months. With GST kicking in, The rule of topping up 30 ringgit within 6 months after extension would this be inclusive or exclusive of GST.

Anyone knows?

Not sure exactly which version of XPAX yours is, but it's RM50 for 2 years XPAX24. Just did a validity extension recently.

Whatever you top up is GST-deductible, so I did RM30 and ended up having to top another RM10. (Could have just done another RM5.)

Jerjerx

Reaction score
Hello can anybody advise me as i’m quite lost & the sale person at digi don’t even bother to explain to me!

I bought digi live without any top up on 23 dec. Is the “inactive period” 75 or 90 days for digi live?

& so does every top up reset the time frame (75 or 90)? But do i have to top up 5rm each time i head in or can i top up 10rm & use the 1rm 1day validity each time i head in?

Thank u!

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello can anybody advise me as i’m quite lost & the sale person at digi don’t even bother to explain to me!

I bought digi live without any top up on 23 dec. Is the “inactive period” 75 or 90 days for digi live?

& so does every top up reset the time frame (75 or 90)? But do i have to top up 5rm each time i head in or can i top up 10rm & use the 1rm 1day validity each time i head in?

Thank u!

The best place to get updated info - http://new.digi.com.my/prepaid/live

AFAIK, it's 90 days for Live, unless they've changed their T&C since I last looked. Check website for details.

You can top up any amount you like, to reset the grace period. Basically:

Active Period
Grace Period aka Inactive Period
Termination

Each time you top up, the line becomes active. Thereafter it becomes inactive for a certain period. Then it's terminated if no top up is done during this period, that's when you'll have to buy a new SIM pack.

Dealers may or may not have the updated information in hand to advise you. Best is to update yourself before buying a SIM pack, or head to a Digi Center instead.

Edit: And yes, activating the 1-day extension RM1 can also reset the grace period and again, check their website for confirmation. It's always good to read the Notes and the T&Cs - links found towards the bottom of the webpage.

Last edited:

syedafiff

Reaction score
you better wait and see first.

starting next year, the longest life a tourist can get on a malaysian prepaid will be limited to 3 months.
Nope. With Onexox, any Malaysian or foreign visitor can get 2 years n 4 months validity. You will have unlimited data carry forward and longest sim validity

syedafiff

Reaction score
Sorry I admit I'm lazy to read through the entire thread.

I lost my good old Tron card and I'm thinking of getting another prepaid card. I go in monthly and my trips are usually between 1-3 days depending on where I'm going. What's a good data only card.

This seems good since it's just 1RM a day. So I just head to a counter and tell them I want the cheapest digi best card?
Use Onexox. You can keep data and draw as low as 500MB/30 days. The remaining unused data will automatically carry forward and can be used on the next months. If using Digi, Celcom, hotlink etc, by the time you come back to MY again, new card again bro.

syedafiff

Reaction score
How Onexox works

view

How Onexox works. Refer to picture in link.
Green: Any new number will auto get 2yrs4mth validity. Afterwards every rm1 topup will extend by 1 day. You can extend validity for 1 year for rm25 (assuming no topup is done until 2yrs4mth)

Blue: Your data bank. You can choose to draw 500mb or 1gb for 30days from the bank. The remaining data can be used in another months with no topup or charges (sync with the long validity). Draw too much, data will burn as usual, hence draw little by little. No data wasted, n you pay for only rm2.50 for that 500mb/30days. You can also choose not to draw any data n keep it for next 3-20 months, as long as the sim doesn't reach expiry.

Red: The lifecycle of your drawn data. You can also check how many data remaining anytime.

Do find me at travel bazaar.
*The new dealer centre at City Square will be established. Nearest on this month of Jan. I'll be posting the location when it is up and running.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The best place to get updated info - http://new.digi.com.my/prepaid/live

AFAIK, it's 90 days for Live, unless they've changed their T&C since I last looked. Check website for details.

You can top up any amount you like, to reset the grace period. Basically:

Active Period
Grace Period aka Inactive Period
Termination

Each time you top up, the line becomes active. Thereafter it becomes inactive for a certain period. Then it's terminated if no top up is done during this period, that's when you'll have to buy a new SIM pack.

Dealers may or may not have the updated information in hand to advise you. Best is to update yourself before buying a SIM pack, or head to a Digi Center instead.

Edit: And yes, activating the 1-day extension RM1 can also reset the grace period and again, check their website for confirmation. It's always good to read the Notes and the T&Cs - links found towards the bottom of the webpage.

For the benefit of someone whom I've just brought attention to this thread, above shows some info on one of DiGi's prepaid card.

The other one is DiGi Best, you may find more information on it here.

Again, dealer's knowledge can be limited... and not forgetting they'll of course tell you their card is the best for you. IMO, there's no such thing as best card - all cards are different for different needs, so do make the effort to do some research unless you've the budget to just grab and go, then lots of time to throw and buy new one next trip.

Oh... actually there's a way to buy (some) and activate later too. Indicated and discussed a few times before. But, their authorities are stepping up on policies, so...

In a nutshell, unless you really don't care, do some research and ask more specific questions if you don't specify your personal wants and needs. Otherwise just grab whatever is offered... then don't complain later, but just go grab another one.

(I personally have a few cards, collected over the years, and most times choose to use specific cards for different trips depending on situation.)

Last edited:

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
For the benefit of someone whom I've just brought attention to this thread, above shows some info on one of DiGi's prepaid card.

The other one is DiGi Best, you may find more information on it here.

Again, dealer's knowledge can be limited... and not forgetting they'll of course tell you their card is the best for you. IMO, there's no such thing as best card - all cards are different for different needs, so do make the effort to do some research unless you've the budget to just grab and go, then lots of time to throw and buy new one next trip.

Oh... actually there's a way to buy (some) and activate later too. Indicated and discussed a few times before. But, their authorities are stepping up on policies, so...

In a nutshell, unless you really don't care, do some research and ask more specific questions if you don't specify your personal wants and needs. Otherwise just grab whatever is offered... then don't complain later, but just go grab another one.

(I personally have a few cards, collected over the years, and most times choose to use specific cards for different trips depending on situation.)
Malaysia Prepaid Cards Discussions

Or just pop over to JB one of these days and buy a DiGi Best SIM pack, before your trip. Or if your ride stops in Yong Peng on the way, Lucky Garden or Ming Ann, just buy from the Digi booth there.

... I still feel you should head to the related discussion thread.

live and best both plans so similar, live would be better for ppl on a short vacation and just wanna use that sim in msia right

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
live and best both plans so similar, live would be better for ppl on a short vacation and just wanna use that sim in msia right

TBH, I can't remember the differences between the 2 and what made me choose DiGi Best over Live (used to be known as Smart), about half decade ago.

However, I do notice that Best seems to be more popular than Live with users on both sides of the causeway.

Just for discussion sake, what made you say that?

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
TBH, I can't remember the differences between the 2 and what made me choose DiGi Best over Live (used to be known as Smart), about half decade ago.

However, I do notice that Best seems to be more popular than Live with users on both sides of the causeway.

Just for discussion sake, what made you say that?

live has free 10gb high speed internet.

best need that $1 and a bunch of thing and 1gb internet only?

or i read wrong

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
live has free 10gb high speed internet.

best need that $1 and a bunch of thing and 1gb internet only?

or i read wrong

At a glance here, it looks like Live is more for video and music (that's what the free 10GB is for) compared to Best.

To see exactly what else is different, you'll have to read into other information on their website including the Notes and Frequently Asked Questions (links towards the end of the page).

speedy94

Reaction score
Hi, not sure if stupid question but...

To buy prepaid card at Malaysia (example in City Square Digi), do I need to give them my passport / NRIC? Is it safe / reliable to let them have that information?

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, not sure if stupid question but...

To buy prepaid card at Malaysia (example in City Square Digi), do I need to give them my passport / NRIC? Is it safe / reliable to let them have that information?

It's mandatory that foreigners are to present our passport for registration of such prepaid cards. In fact, someone has just posted a link not long ago about their authorities planning to tighten the rules this year. Should be just a couple of pages back at most.

I've over 10 cards registered with my passport over the years, *touch wood* so far nothing strange has happened. I do occasionally log into my accounts to check for irregularities, though.

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
At a glance here, it looks like Live is more for video and music (that's what the free 10GB is for) compared to Best.

To see exactly what else is different, you'll have to read into other information on their website including the Notes and Frequently Asked Questions (links towards the end of the page).

if use mostly for mobile data and v little calls/sms, live would be the choice right?

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if use mostly for mobile data and v little calls/sms, live would be the choice right?

Just for curiosity sake, what comparison did you do to say that?

TBH, I can't remember what I did, but I mainly do surfing (as opposed to music/video) plus minimum calls/text, and I chose Best (I think mainly due to the 365-days SLL validity extension).

Have hardly been looking/comparing the 2 for a long while already.

Parmesean

Reaction score
I use RedONE while in Malaysia. It's super cheap, and I've been using their prepaid cards for the past 3 years, so far *touch wood* nothing bad has happened....

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
Just for curiosity sake, what comparison did you do to say that?

TBH, I can't remember what I did, but I mainly do surfing (as opposed to music/video) plus minimum calls/text, and I chose Best (I think mainly due to the 365-days SLL validity extension).

Have hardly been looking/comparing the 2 for a long while already.
I mainly is see the mobile data component.
Live has 10gb for vid streaming etc.
Best need dont know what idd dunno wat rm1 a day for free 1gb among other stuff i dont really understand.

Calls and sms live is more exp than best.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.