Gaming Rig Upgrade Below $500

Toilet93

Reaction score
Hey all. I am planning to use Lazada to buy all the parts.

Current Setup
Windows 10
i5-3470
ASUS Motherboard(Can't rmb, I think Z70/Z170)
GTX 650
SSD 256 GB
HD 1 TB
450/550W
8 GB RAM

I am upgrading my motherboard, GPU and processor all at the same time. Is it possible to get a viable gaming rig below $500?
And also whether I need to upgrade my power supply for a new rig?

Potential Setup

Asus Expedition GTX1050Ti 4GB ($242) OR
Palit Geforce GTX 1050 Ti StormX 4GB GDDR5 ($230) OR
ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti Mini 4GB GDDR5 ($229) OR
ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1050 Mini 2GB GDRR5 ($189)

OR

i3-8100 ($180) OR
+
ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS ($267) OR
ASRock Z370 Pro4 ATX ($216)

// Wah I really suck at this CPU part. Last time $300 can settle now so ex sia. Can anyone suggest a better option for the CPU?

Also, I think for GP it boils down to the brand for me. Have anyone tried Palit and ZOTAC before?

undead102

Reaction score
Your current specs still looks ok. Maybe slap a gtx 1060 to replace the gtx 650 can still be a beast gaming machine. If current machine having problems not advisable to upgrade to current gen machine due to expensive ddr4 rams now. Better to get replacement mobo from taobao if is mobo faulty or just replace the psu if psu faulty.

If really want to go for new setup can wait for b/h budget motherboard for 8th generation intel processor to save couple hundred bucks or maybe can wait for ryzen 2 to see how it performs against the 8th generation intel processor in terms of price/performance value for dollar.

Or if urgent have to buy now then would cost around $500-$600 for cpu/mobo/ram. Price abit on the high side due to unavailable budget board for intel and high ddr4 ram prices.

Last edited:

Toilet93

Reaction score
Your current specs still looks ok. Maybe slap a gtx 1060 to replace the gtx 650 can still be a beast gaming machine. If current machine having problems not advisable to upgrade to current gen machine due to expensive ddr4 rams now. Better to get replacement mobo from taobao if is mobo faulty or just replace the psu if psu faulty.

If really want to go for new setup can wait for b/h budget motherboard for 8th generation intel processor to save couple hundred bucks or maybe can wait for ryzen 2 to see how it performs against the 8th generation intel processor in terms of price/performance value for dollar.

Or if urgent have to buy now then would cost around $500-$600 for cpu/mobo/ram. Price abit on the high side due to unavailable budget board for intel and high ddr4 ram prices.

Yeah, my desktop has been having issues powering up, though my CPU is able to boot up. Advisable to get Kaby Lake?

Also, do I have to upgrade my RAM stick if I upgrade my rig?

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
Your current system is on DDR3... New CPU and motherboard a lot are on DDR4.. So u maybe need to factor in $$ for new memory.

hellspawn_one

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
By chaging the cpu platform, it would have gone over your budget.

Heck, changing just the gpu alone will easily over your budget

Sent from LGE LG-H870DS using GAGT

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Changing CPU means changing CPU+MB+RAM. $500 budget is not going to cut it with current DDR4 prices, not to mention including GPU.

Suggest you just change the GPU and save the rest of the budget for a new rig later down the road.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So long you are gaming on 1080p, just use the $500 to get a gtx1060 or AMD equivalent. Probably might be able to squeeze in a PSU upgrade too.

Your budget not enough for full overhaul

Toilet93

Reaction score
So long you are gaming on 1080p, just use the $500 to get a gtx1060 or AMD equivalent. Probably might be able to squeeze in a PSU upgrade too.

Your budget not enough for full overhaul

I bobian man. My desktop is having unpredictable mood swings. Happy start, not happy cannot start. I can stretch my budget to $600 if possible. Do you think I should wait it out for budget motherboards compatible with Coffee Lake to come out? Any idea how long it'll be?

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I bobian man. My desktop is having unpredictable mood swings. Happy start, not happy cannot start. I can stretch my budget to $600 if possible. Do you think I should wait it out for budget motherboards compatible with Coffee Lake to come out? Any idea how long it'll be?

lol... change board and psu?? then the rest pump in gpu? just get 2nd hand lga1155?

Board = 50~60?
PSU = 60~80?

The rest just whack a gtx1060 3gb??

hellspawn_one

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My suggestion is to upgrade your gpu first as $500 is what you can afford at this moment.

Take some time to save up, maybe by then the budget mobo for coffee lake will be out liao. Then only then change mobo platform (cpu+mobo+ram)

Sent from LGE LG-H870DS using GAGT

Toilet93

Reaction score
Thanks man everyone for the feedback.
The best course remedy is definitely replace the current motherboard and upgrade PSU. But I can't seem to find any motherboards that fit i5-3470 online sia. Siao lah. Know of any lobangs or physical shops I can go down and buy straight away?

P.S Just to confirm. When I on my desktop, got power and the internal fan can run but my peripherals and monitor machiam no signal like that. Can I conclude that the problem lies in either PSU or motherboard?

I don't mind replacing both.

P.P.S What's a LGA 1155?

Last edited:

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks man everyone for the feedback.
The best course remedy is definitely replace the current motherboard and upgrade PSU. But I can't seem to find any motherboards that fit i5-3470 online sia. Siao lah. Know of any lobangs or physical shops I can go down and buy straight away?

P.S Just to confirm. When I on my desktop, got power and the internal fan can run but my peripherals and monitor machiam no signal like that. Can I conclude that the problem lies in either PSU or motherboard?

I don't mind replacing both.

P.P.S What's a LGA 1155?

Caraohell got tons of them. if u dont mind, u can even get i5 2400 full set at 150. I hooted one b4 - its an acer, so far still alive after 2 years!

predator123

Reaction score
bring down ur whole system to a reliable shop to test they will prolly only charge u 20 to 30 bucks and if u change the part there maybe they will charge FOC for the service. but becareful high chances of kena carrot head too. so do ur homework first thn go down.

predator123

Reaction score
was told that the part that spoils usually are the motherboard, psu and ram. Processors hardly spoils. thats y u see old processors are often being sold. dk if its true will be glad if any1 can correct me?

Toilet93

Reaction score
Yeah I think I will be going down to Sim Lim walk a bit.

What brands would you guys recommend? ASUS vs MSI vs GIGABYTE vs ASROCK?

And also what are some of the trustworthy shops in SLS?

dgenex

Reaction score
Yeah I think I will be going down to Sim Lim walk a bit.

What brands would you guys recommend? ASUS vs MSI vs GIGABYTE vs ASROCK?

And also what are some of the trustworthy shops in SLS?

All 4 brands are generally fine, pretty much depend on luck and how well u maintain pc

Not sure about troubleshooting but if u going down to buy parts, most shops okay if u know what parts u want and dont get influenced into changing. Tradepac is known for trying to get u to buy parts they wanna clear stock. But if u know what u want their prices are usually cheap

Sent from Xiaomi MI A1 using GAGT

Swiftbladez

Master Member
Reaction score
Have always been using Asrock and so far so good. It's the most value for money then and probably now as well.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
was told that the part that spoils usually are the motherboard, psu and ram. Processors hardly spoils. thats y u see old processors are often being sold. dk if its true will be glad if any1 can correct me?

CPUs will last a long time unless you put too much voltage into it. Never had a RAM failure before either but then I take good care of my stuff. I used to run my RAM under-volted so it was in excellent condition when I eventually sold it.

Toilet93

Reaction score
Siao liao man. I think 3rd gen all up lorry alr.
Can't find any replacement.

I have been looking on Lazada, please let me know whether this is viable.

Ripclaws DDR4 8 GB ($170)
i3-8100 ($180)
Asrock Z370 Pro4 ($220)

My case quite big so I don't wanna go for mini/micro.
Only need 1 monitor to beat aeroplane and diamond league gaming.

That setup good to go? Coupled with my previous GPU, GTX 650.
Then I can save up for a bigger monitor liao I think. 19 inch & VGA like takboleh ah.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.