Asus Aimesh allows some existing user to create mesh.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/03/asus-mesh-wifi-aimesh/

Since you're using routers that you already own to create a mesh network, you can decide which one is the primary and which will act as nodes. You simply find the router with the best capabilities, drop it in a central location, then use the built-in software to configure the network. AiMesh i available as a free firmware update, which adds support for the protocol to your router Currently, the ASUS RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC88U and the RT-AC3100 routers can handle the update, with a couple more in beta testing. The company plans to roll out updates for even more of its routers later this year, including it's new mesh-centric
Lyra system.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Been beta testing for the past few weeks with a RT-AC5300+AC68U combo... so far so good.
In areas where I was previously getting maximum 1 of 5 bars signal, I can get 3~4 bars coverage now.

Princz

Reaction score
Been beta testing for the past few weeks with a RT-AC5300+AC68U combo... so far so good.
In areas where I was previously getting maximum 1 of 5 bars signal, I can get 3~4 bars coverage now.

Is it difficult to configure (ps: I am a networking novice)? I have a RT AC5300. I am thinking of getting the Lyra to work with it or buying another cheaper router to work with it in mesh mode.

My current space is about 2,400sqft and I have quite a few deadspots in the house due to walls and pillars. I have tried over the years using extenders... all don't work very well with slow speeds.

evq

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this is the perfect solution for me. Just need to get a 2nd hand router

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it difficult to configure (ps: I am a networking novice)? I have a RT AC5300. I am thinking of getting the Lyra to work with it or buying another cheaper router to work with it in mesh mode.

My current space is about 2,400sqft and I have quite a few deadspots in the house due to walls and pillars. I have tried over the years using extenders... all don't work very well with slow speeds.

You can compare and decide which is easier but I do not find it very difficult either way.
Here are the respective setup process:

AiMesh Setup
Lyra Setup

DracZ

Reaction score
Anyone successfully deployed this?

Yup! Just recently swapped a bunch of my old routers (N15 + AC1200) connected as Wireless AP's to my main RT-AC68U, to the following setup:

RT-AC68U (Main)
RT-AC68U (Node)
RT-AC68U (Node)

Previously I had issues in different parts of the house when all routers were on the same SSID, because wireless devices would have trouble seamlessly switching from one router to the next, instead often times staying on the previous router because it still had 2-3 bars. Changing to separate SSIDs meant that I could select the router I wanted manually, but that was still a chore.

With this new setup I can walk to different parts of the house and it seems to switch far more seamlessly than previously based on my testing, and all without my intervention. I will test it for a few more days and report back, but so far it seems very very promising :)

P.S Do note that once the "Node" router is part of the network, it doesn't have its own separate admin panel anymore, all functionality is restricted, and administered purely from the main router. You can still manually allocate static IP's etc for the nodes however.

Last edited:

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup! Just recently swapped a bunch of my old routers (N15 + AC1200) connected as Wireless AP's to my main RT-AC68U, to the following setup:

RT-AC68U (Main)
RT-AC68U (Node)
RT-AC68U (Node)

Previously I had issues in different parts of the house when all routers were on the same SSID, because wireless devices would have trouble seamlessly switching from one router to the next, instead often times staying on the previous router because it still had 2-3 bars. Changing to separate SSIDs meant that I could select the router I wanted manually, but that was still a chore.

With this new setup I can walk to different parts of the house and it seems to switch far more seamlessly than previously based on my testing, and all without my intervention. I will test it for a few more days and report back, but so far it seems very very promising :)

P.S Do note that once the "Node" router is part of the network, it doesn't have its own separate admin panel anymore, all functionality is restricted, and administered purely from the main router. You can still manually allocate static IP's etc for the nodes however.

How are you assigning static ip for the node ? Please share, I couldn't find any option after it's added to the mesh network.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.