Wifi Lag Issues Singtel

Jinhyun

Reaction score
I got a 300MBPS singtel Fibre Plan .I have been using it for 5 months with no lag or so.But recently these 2 months,my internet has started to lag as in even at full signal 5 bars wifi connection for Singtel 5G network,I am experiencing buffering just at a full hd video..Not even 4K.I called singtel like 4 times or so.First technician just said it was "software problem"and he assured me he has rectified the issue.Not long after he went..The problem persisted.The 2nd technician came and changed my exisiting router to the same router but just a new one.He said it was internal software issue with my Router lol.But instead the problem continues.The 3rd technician came and said he has updated my "filmware" On my routet.I requested him to repeat the internet test.He started to lag out at whatsapp and youtube.I begin to question him what is the root of this problem?The technician just replied he has no idea.Then he classified this problem as a normal occurance?Huh lagging is normal??In my home only 2 people are using the wifi network,this shouldnt cause the internet to lag.Then I tried a lan connection.. On both my desktop and laptop..And yet through a wired connection,my internet is still lagging so badly.I contacted singtel and they asked me to perform an internet speed test,I reported the results to them and they deemed this speed as" normal"The problem just persisted even my galaxy S8 plus phone is faster on 4G network than my wifi network which totally doesnt make sense.Please help me out on this issue,I really dont know what to do.

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got a 300MBPS singtel Fibre Plan .I have been using it for 5 months with no lag or so.But recently these 2 months,my internet has started to lag as in even at full signal 5 bars wifi connection for Singtel 5G network,I am experiencing buffering just at a full hd video..Not even 4K.I called singtel like 4 times or so.First technician just said it was "software problem"and he assured me he has rectified the issue.Not long after he went..The problem persisted.The 2nd technician came and changed my exisiting router to the same router but just a new one.He said it was internal software issue with my Router lol.But instead the problem continues.The 3rd technician came and said he has updated my "filmware" On my routet.I requested him to repeat the internet test.He started to lag out at whatsapp and youtube.I begin to question him what is the root of this problem?The technician just replied he has no idea.Then he classified this problem as a normal occurance?Huh lagging is normal??In my home only 2 people are using the wifi network,this shouldnt cause the internet to lag.Then I tried a lan connection.. On both my desktop and laptop..And yet through a wired connection,my internet is still lagging so badly.I contacted singtel and they asked me to perform an internet speed test,I reported the results to them and they deemed this speed as" normal"The problem just persisted even my galaxy S8 plus phone is faster on 4G network than my wifi network which totally doesnt make sense.Please help me out on this issue,I really dont know what to do.

so what is your speedtest result on lan?

what is your speedtest result on s8?

Jinhyun

Reaction score
so what is your speedtest result on lan?

what is your speedtest result on s8?
Download speed:19.80Mbps-Singtel 2.4GHz(Computer)
Upload Speed:0.13Mbps(Computer)
Download speed:22.90Mbps-Singtel 5Ghz (Computer)
Upload Speed:0.15Mbps(Computer) 5Ghz
----Galaxy s8 plus----
Download speed:77.34Mbps-Singtel 2.4GHZ
Upload speed:1.04Mbps(2.4ghz)
Singtel 5Ghz network
Download speed:130Mbps
Upload speed:0.45Mbps

Internet speed test tested beside the router for maximum wifi connectivity for the galaxy S8+ and the computer at another room(Full signal bar for both networks)
I suspect one slow speed on my computer side might be due to my wireless usb dongle(I only used it like 1 month)(Supports wireless AC)
Secondly,the slow upload speeds on both the s8 plus and the computer,I have no idea whats going on.I subscribed for a 300Mbps Fibre internet speed and I dont expect the results to defer so much.What may be the problem?
Lag issues on the s8 plus:Insanely slow upload speed especially sending audio recordings or pictures/video files through whatsapp
EG:A 15Mb video file is taking 30 minutes to upload to the whatsapp group(Was connected to the 5Ghz Singtel Network at full signal standing right beside the router itself)
2nd issue:Watching/streaming videos online as I mentioned 1080P aka FHD videos can still buffer on my phone itself..Way slower then my data speed.
Frequent disconnect from online services Eg Playing online games
Refreshing gmail is horrible and it takes literally ''forever'' to load new mails when i only have less than 400 mails in my gmail account
Please help me find the root of the problem.Is it my fault or Singtel's poor installation or other problems.Thank you.

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
1. Check your wired/LAN speed. Make sure your get what you paid for !!!

2. Make sure your 2.4Ghz is set to 11n and 5Ghz is to 11ac only so that
-slower device use 2.4Ghz
-faster device use 5 Ghz

Detrimental Effect of combined B and G networks.
--------------------------------------------------------
802.11G is backwardly compatible with B – i.e. an AP supporting G will allow both B and G clients to connect. Unfortunately operating both B & G simultaneously slows the WLAN down dramatically, due to compromises in the G-standard required for B compatibility.

1.What is your distance from your device to the Access Point ?
2.Any physical obstacles ?
3. Interference from other Wireless LANs. Use the Wifi Analyser App on your mobile phone to check. Select a channel that is least like to get interference from your neighbour.
4. Your 2.4Ghz will get interference from Bluetooth, cordless phone, microwave oven. Turn these device off and see if it improves.

Jinhyun

Reaction score
1. Check your wired/LAN speed. Make sure your get what you paid for !!!

2. Make sure your 2.4Ghz is set to 11n and 5Ghz is to 11ac only so that
-slower device use 2.4Ghz
-faster device use 5 Ghz

Detrimental Effect of combined B and G networks.
--------------------------------------------------------
802.11G is backwardly compatible with B – i.e. an AP supporting G will allow both B and G clients to connect. Unfortunately operating both B & G simultaneously slows the WLAN down dramatically, due to compromises in the G-standard required for B compatibility.

3. Interference from other Wireless LANs. Use the Wifi Analyser App on your mobile phone to check. Select a channel that is least like to get interference from your neighbour.
4. Your 2.4Ghz will get interference from Bluetooth, cordless phone, microwave oven. Turn these device off and see if it improves.

-I just checked my Lan speed connection through a cat 5e cable.
Download Speed is around 272Mbps(I think download is normal for my plan)
-Upload speed 0.15Mbps(Is this odd or normal for 300mbps fibre internet?)

A:I would say about 10 footsteps.

A:A wall is separating the two rooms:Router in the living room and my study room is right behind the living room.The signal strength is still around 5 bars most of the time.

A:I always tried this method but it doesn't seem to work for me in long term.Like example I switched to channel 9 which is the least congested and I literally have to changed it everyday as the congestion changes.

A:I don't have any Bluetooth Device or Microwave oven near my router.I do have a cordless phone but it is roughly 10 metres apart.

I understand what you meant for compatibility issues for wireless network.I am still a newbie at this and I don't quite understand what you meant for 2.4Ghz is set to 11n and 5Ghz is to 11ac only as in where do i go to modify these settings.
If possible could you guide me through the steps of changing these and is my upload speed normal?Thank you!

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think your internet experience is crippled by the slow upload.

Use the LAN connection to verify your DL/UL on multiple websites and internet speed application. This is to verify that Speedtest is not the problem.

If this setup fails, I suggest you band table with Singtel. Speak to a higher level Engineer. Refer to this forum. There is another thread with Singtel users having the same pathetic UL speed as yours.

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
One area of suspect that Thread starter did not suspect is the ONT.
Did Singtel Tech perform network commissioning test to measure the Fibre signal response.

Minimizing unknown with best known simple setup

Wifi Performance
A good reference device to test is your Samsung S8(with MIMO super fast) since it is relatively new device and chances of computer network driver issue are avoided.

Change your SIngtel Router to use 2.4GHz SSID and 5Ghz SSID, disable the rubbish band steering **** .

Just stand at 1M from your Router. Connect only to 5Ghz band, Click on the phone wifi properties from Settings/wifi to see the wifi status details.

S8=>DOwnload Speedtest app, connect to Singtel Server only since you are singtel fibre user. Must try Singtel Server first to get to know the best connection case.

LAN Speed Test.
-Turn off WIFI on network computer.
If you are using Win10, download SPeedTest.net app from MS Store.
Select to test with Singtel Server first

ON your computer, check the network link speed before the testing this is to ensure your LAN wires are 1000 Gbps capable.

Choose Non busy time to perform the test.
Weekday 7- 8 am .

Jinhyun

Reaction score
Did Singtel Tech perform network commissioning test to measure the Fibre signal response.

Minimizing unknown with best known simple setup

Wifi Performance
A good reference device to test is your Samsung S8(with MIMO super fast) since it is relatively new device and chances of computer network driver issue are avoided.

Change your SIngtel Router to use 2.4GHz SSID and 5Ghz SSID, disable the rubbish band steering **** .

Just stand at 1M from your Router. Connect only to 5Ghz band, Click on the phone wifi properties from Settings/wifi to see the wifi status details.

S8=>DOwnload Speedtest app, connect to Singtel Server only since you are singtel fibre user. Must try Singtel Server first to get to know the best connection case.

LAN Speed Test.
-Turn off WIFI on network computer.
If you are using Win10, download SPeedTest.net app from MS Store.
Select to test with Singtel Server first

ON your computer, check the network link speed before the testing this is to ensure your LAN wires are 1000 Gbps capable.

Weekday 7- 8 am .

Did Singtel Tech perform network commissioning test to measure the Fibre signal response?

A:I think it is a protocol for them to perform all the possible test but in my case I doubt so,if not I see a reason why 4 technicians cannot solve my internet issues.If so,what can I do to solve this?

A:Yes,I did performed this step with the speedtest app downloaded from the Google playstore and conducted the test on my S8+(Speed shown below on my previous reply)and the same for my computer

Q:I am still quite new to this,can you further explain what does thread starter meant?(I know whats ONT)

A:I conducted my test around 8.45am today this morning.

-I will try these steps out and thanks for the advice.

A:Yes,my computer is definitely capable of 1Gbps lan internet speed,I have checked my motherboard specifications>(I custom built my computer)

If all the steps are tried and it doesnt work,what can you suggest me to do?

Last edited:

Jinhyun

Reaction score
I think your internet experience is crippled by the slow upload.

Use the LAN connection to verify your DL/UL on multiple websites and internet speed application. This is to verify that Speedtest is not the problem.

If this setup fails, I suggest you band table with Singtel. Speak to a higher level Engineer. Refer to this forum. There is another thread with Singtel users having the same pathetic UL speed as yours.
Any recommended higher level engineer that I can pm with?or any other related forum link?Thank you.

crewcutboy

Reaction score
I suggest you deal with this using a systematic process of elimination.

Wireless problems are hard to troubleshoot as there are many variables, so start with wired connection first.

To begin with, your LAN upload speed isn't normal. Did you test using other speedtest servers besides Singtel? If not, give it a try so that you can be sure that there's a problem.

Document this and make an official complaint regarding abnormal upload speeds. Focus on this first and push Singtel to fix it.

Threaten to complain to IMDA or even lodge a claim against them with CASE / small claims tribunal for failing to provide a minimum expected service quality.

Once this is resolved, you can then check if there's a corresponding improvement via wifi access. At least at that point, you know it's no longer an issue with the backend or equipment, but rather something more localised.

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
Did Singtel Tech perform network commissioning test to measure the Fibre signal response?

A:I think it is a protocol for them to perform all the possible test but in my case I doubt so,if not I see a reason why 4 technicians cannot solve my internet issues.If so,what can I do to solve this?

A:Yes,I did performed this step with the speedtest app downloaded from the Google playstore and conducted the test on my S8+(Speed shown below on my previous reply)and the same for my computer

Q:I am still quite new to this,can you further explain what does thread starter meant?(I know whats ONT)

A:I conducted my test around 8.45am today this morning.

-I will try these steps out and thanks for the advice.

A:Yes,my computer is definitely capable of 1Gbps lan internet speed,I have checked my motherboard specifications>(I custom built my computer)

If all the steps are tried and it doesnt work,what can you suggest me to do?
My Typo on Link speed at 1Gbps..not 1000 Gbps :s13::s13::s13:

Did you test with Singtel Server only, recently there is bug on Speedtest.net that Singtel User using Non Singtel Server will get 0.18Mbps on download but for your case is Uplink always broken.

Other suggestions.
1.Check LAN Cables.
Replace LAN Cable from ONT To Singtel Router, LAN Cable has 2 RX and 2 TX lanes. RX lanes for incoming packets from internet. TX lanes for uplink

2.ONT=> The Optical Network terminal unit, the unit that you use Fibre cable to connect to the ONT (Optical network terminal) .

3. Use 3rd party router to do comparison.

4. Do you know how to setup a FTP Server to run from Home ?
this is to allow someone else to pull files from your home server to test the uplink speed.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Seriously. 4 technicians are not even capable of verifying anything? They can even conclude or suspect anything?

You have 2 options because I can see that you are not so familiar with networking.

1) To DIY and save costs, you might want to follow some of the recommendations by HMAN. It might be a slow process. And everyone is trying to help you out of goodwill.

2) To speed up and if you are willing to pay, I suggest you find a 3rd party IT expert to check your network. Could be your friend or someone from this forum. Damage is probably $40 - $50 for a 1 to 2 hour of work?

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
Your upload speed is too low.
Call Singtel to send a technician down to check why the low upload speed.

-I just checked my Lan speed connection through a cat 5e cable.
Download Speed is around 272Mbps(I think download is normal for my plan)
-Upload speed 0.15Mbps(Is this odd or normal for 300mbps fibre internet?)

Once you find that channel 9 works for you best then stick to it.
Be persistent and let others find their channels.

A:I always tried this method but it doesn't seem to work for me in long term.Like example I switched to channel 9 which is the least congested and I literally have to changed it everyday as the congestion changes.

What I'm referring to is wifi standards.
Refer to this picture :
tbl-standard.jpg

The settings should be the same page where you change your wifi channels.
Most important now is to call Singtel and get your upload speed fixed. This seems to be the most likely cause of your lag.
I understand what you meant for compatibility issues for wireless network.I am still a newbie at this and I don't quite understand what you meant for 2.4Ghz is set to 11n and 5Ghz is to 11ac only as in where do i go to modify these settings.
If possible could you guide me through the steps of changing these and is my upload speed normal?Thank you!

Jinhyun

Reaction score
Thank you all for helping me out.I have once again complained my issues to Singtel.This time I finally got a ''Customer Support guy''which finally understand what I meant and he admitted that its their technicians failed to check my issue thus unable to resolve it.He assured me that this time he will be sending a ''Senior'' Technician to come to my house to fix this problem.Lets see how it goes first.Hopefully for the better.

Jinhyun

Reaction score
The Singtel technician will be coming in 2 hours time,is it possible to get compensation since this issue was ongoing for 3 months and 4 technicians failed to rectify the issue.What are the chances though?I paid every month and get terrible upload speed which ruins my interner experience.Should I ask that technician about that matter later?

ah_cleo

Master Member
Reaction score
u already mentioned he's a technician.. how is he authorised to give u waiver or compensation? i suggest u write into singtel better.. the email will be routed to the relevant dept that can answer ur questions.

wifiguy

Reaction score
Some tips on wireless portion,
- on 2.4Ghz, ONLY use channel 1,6 & 11. Using other channels both you and your neighbors will get suffered with poor performance.
- on 5Ghz, if channel bonding used, looking for clear channels and use 40MHz instead of 80MHz width, the throughput should be able to meet majority of common applications requirement.

Jinhyun

Reaction score
Any update from jinhyun so far?
Update:After the 3rd Singtel Router replacement,Upload speed is finally back to normal and fixed.The technician advise me to buy a 3rd party router if this problem persist again.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Update:After the 3rd Singtel Router replacement,Upload speed is finally back to normal and fixed.The technician advise me to buy a 3rd party router if this problem persist again.
I do agree with him on this matter :p

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.