Fitbit Charge 2 - Heart Rate + Fitness Wristband

TheSYF

Reaction score
is the charge 2 waterproof? only this factor holding me back from buying.

mikezuper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I think splash proof and cant be fully submerged into water and taken into shower.

Drizzle and accidental water is fine where you wipe it off immediately.

blues7

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When washing hand etc

Surely will have some water splashing on it

Or when sweating, surely will have ‘liquid’ on parts of it

Have been careful not to get it under running tap

And so far, so good, Charge2 still ok after a few months use since 4thquarter 2017

Cannot rinse with water was my main concern at first becoz very used to rinsing my watch when washing my hands at the tap

With swatch watch, no problem

That’s why when switching over to FitBit, this was major concern

And becoz quite happy with charge2, bought the ionic and blaze too for family

precipice65

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My watch only clock 11 steps since I woke up 1 and a half hours ago.

On Many occasions it just stop counting.

Last edited:

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My Charge 2 died last night. It lasted from Sept 2016. Battery always shows flat and no display. Any 3rd party repair?

Level42

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My Charge 2 died last night. It lasted from Sept 2016. Battery always shows flat and no display. Any 3rd party repair?

Have you tried cleaning charging areas on your watch and charger with isopropyl ? I notice Charge 2 can be very sensitive. Hope this is not too late. Do you know how to reset Charge 2?

It’s quite common for devices with dirty charging points not to charge. I frequently have this problem with one of my speakers. Just need to clean them. But you cannot let battery go flat, otherwise they really won’t charge.

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have you tried cleaning charging areas on your watch and charger with isopropyl ? I notice Charge 2 can be very sensitive. Hope this is not too late. Do you know how to reset Charge 2?

It’s quite common for devices with dirty charging points not to charge. I frequently have this problem with one of my speakers. Just need to clean them. But you cannot let battery go flat, otherwise they really won’t charge.

I did clean the contact and it could charge the battery. However it failed to work as usual. It shows me notification on and off continuously till battery flat. Anyway decided to give up Fitbit product. Such a great product but they do not do repair parts. $200 worth of smart band for 1 year plus, do you think is worthy ?

Level42

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I did clean the contact and it could charge the battery. However it failed to work as usual. It shows me notification on and off continuously till battery flat. Anyway decided to give up Fitbit product. Such a great product but they do not do repair parts. $200 worth of smart band for 1 year plus, do you think is worthy ?

No, not worth it. If I were you, I would be angry too. I can totally understand what you feel as I have a similar experience with another brand of product.

Is your button stuck? Pressing the button 3 seconds will turn notification on/off when it is not charging. When it is charging, it will do a reset after 4 seconds. If something is wrong with the button, you should see your Charge 2 reset continuously while charging. Then the continuous notification on/off makes sense.

If it is the button, I wonder if you could check it and clean it.

Be careful while cleaning though. Fitbit Charge 2 cannot be turned off, so technically bad idea to let anything, even fast drying liquid, slip inside.

Last edited:

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No, not worth it. If I were you, I would be angry too. I can totally understand what you feel as I have a similar experience with another brand of product.

Is your button stuck? Pressing the button 3 seconds will turn notification on/off when it is not charging. When it is charging, it will do a reset after 4 seconds. If something is wrong with the button, you should see your Charge 2 reset continuously while charging. Then the continuous notification on/off makes sense.

If it is the button, I wonder if you could check it and clean it.

Be careful while cleaning though. Fitbit Charge 2 cannot be turned off, so technically bad idea to let anything, even fast drying liquid, slip inside.
My Charge 2 died while wearing on one afternoon. It just went blank screen. I charged it and it showed me flat battery level. After 30min, battery level showed full. But after wear for 5 min, it went blank screen again. So i decided to reset it and cleaned contact. Nothing improved. It just showed blank screen and heart beat indicator always on. I waited for the battery to drain flat after 2 days. I charged it and this time it took 1.5 hours to full charge. However it just showed me notification on and off continuously till batery flat. I guess it just went faulty. I contacted Fitbit support and they told me they do not do repair. What's a disappointment.

Last edited:

Level42

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My Charge 2 died while wearing on one afternoon. It just went blank screen. I charged it and it showed me flat battery level. After 30min, battery level showed full. But after wear for 5 min, it went blank screen again. So i decided to reset it and cleaned contact. Nothing improved. It just showed blank screen and heart beat indicator always on. I waited for the battery to drain flat after 2 days. I charged it and this time it took 1.5 hours to full charge. However it just showed me notification on and off continuously till batery flat. I guess it just went faulty. I contacted Fitbit support and they told me they do not do repair. What's a disappointment.

The fact that it doesn't do a continuous reboot during charging would mean the button and related connection is fine. If resetting cannot solve the problem then it is not software. It is confirmed faulty. So sad.

We bought 4 Charge 2 last Jul-Sep for extended family members, so I have reasons to be concerned. Even though it is only one year warranty, we hope they would last longer.

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The fact that it doesn't do a continuous reboot during charging would mean the button and related connection is fine. If resetting cannot solve the problem then it is not software. It is confirmed faulty. So sad.

We bought 4 Charge 2 last Jul-Sep for extended family members, so I have reasons to be concerned. Even though it is only one year warranty, we hope they would last longer.

Thanks. How does extended warranty work since they dun repair?

Level42

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. How does extended warranty work since they dun repair?

I meant I am crossing my fingers the Charge 2 we bought would last longer.

My first tracker was a Garmin Vivosmart 3. The strap broke within warranty period. For Garmin, you cannot change strap. I contacted Convergent Systems, the company supporting Garmin warranty in Singapore, and they said they would honour the warranty, but it would need at least a month to repair it. I went down to Ubi with my Garmin, and they still told me they needed a month or more as the unit was going to be mailed back somewhere. If they had stock of Vivosmart 3, they would have done a 1-1 exchange instead.

The next day, I received a call from Convergent Systems saying they would upgrade me to Vivosport (RRP $299). I was very happy with the solution. I think the norm is not to repair, but to exchange 1-1. Fitbit honours warranty in the same way. Hence, it may be better to negotiate for a trade-in out of goodwill.

Just curious, what happens when you launch your Fitbit App now? Is it still communicating with your Charge 2, like, can it sync?

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I meant I am crossing my fingers the Charge 2 we bought would last longer.

My first tracker was a Garmin Vivosmart 3. The strap broke within warranty period. For Garmin, you cannot change strap. I contacted Convergent Systems, the company supporting Garmin warranty in Singapore, and they said they would honour the warranty, but it would need at least a month to repair it. I went down to Ubi with my Garmin, and they still told me they needed a month or more as the unit was going to be mailed back somewhere. If they had stock of Vivosmart 3, they would have done a 1-1 exchange instead.

The next day, I received a call from Convergent Systems saying they would upgrade me to Vivosport (RRP $299). I was very happy with the solution. I think the norm is not to repair, but to exchange 1-1. Fitbit honours warranty in the same way. Hence, it may be better to negotiate for a trade-in out of goodwill.

Just curious, what happens when you launch your Fitbit App now? Is it still communicating with your Charge 2, like, can it sync?

$299, I hope it last you for 3 years to make it worthy.

If I charge it, it could sync it. But since it is no longer working, I have not been using it for a while. I am waiting for Mi band 3 to arrive :p

Level42

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
$299, I hope it last you for 3 years to make it worthy.

If I charge it, it could sync it. But since it is no longer working, I have not been using it for a while. I am waiting for Mi band 3 to arrive :p

Congrats on getting your Mi Band 3. :)

If you can sync, it does not sound dead yet. I have been reading up on similar problem you have described. The community has many Charge 2 users reporting the problem without resolution. I tend to suspect button problem and investigated along that line and found that Alta HR users also experienced similar issues. For Alta HR, the button triggers the timer, not toggles notification on/off, so the users experienced timer coming on by itself. Blaze and Surge users also reported sticky button problems. For other brands of trackers, there were also similar reports. Apple has a warranty for the button and its watch button behaves like a dial, so that's slightly more complex.

Fitbit users have tried cleaning the button with toothpick, compressed air, toothbrush, cotton bud with rubbing alcohol, WD 40 pen, etc. One user who cleaned it with compressed air saw her Charge 2 working for 2 weeks before it died for good. She had exactly the same continuous vibrating notification on/off problem, causing her battery to die. For other Fitbit models, I found 2 users who suspected humidity problem trapped inside the device, to have success fixing the problem. One did a variety of things to 'dry' his device, including using the hairdryer. Another person put it near the aircon, as aircon removes humidity. Those who put their Fitbit in rice to remove humidity did not have success.

If you are still interested to revive the Fitbit, maybe you can see if you can dry it. Our weather is very humid, so aircon, dry cabinet, may be the only way. I doubt I would use the hair dryer.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.