ASUS RT-AC1200G Router

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
After firmware update my router went from 500gbps to 150gbps. Any settings advice to get highest speed?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it also because i turned off the fiber termination point for awhile?

FTP is the box like thing on the wall, it doesn’t turn on or off.

Are you referring to ONT?

Secondly, try doing a reboot first if your ac1200g+ has an issue..

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Actually this was just set up few days ago by m1 contractors. Oh yah i mean i turned off my mains and ONT for awhile. I mean it still works but when i use speedtest app, it only achieves 140-150mbps where it was 500mbps yesterday. I dont know if i might have reset anything. I wanna bring back the 500mbps on speedtes leh.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
What happened today is i turned on my mains and then when the ont and modem started up my phone got a prompt to enter password on asus router web interface. So after that it prompted me to update router firmware. So after that was done, i did speedtest and found the 140mbps result.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually this was just set up few days ago by m1 contractors. Oh yah i mean i turned off my mains and ONT for awhile. I mean it still works but when i use speedtest app, it only achieves 140-150mbps where it was 500mbps yesterday. I dont know if i might have reset anything. I wanna bring back the 500mbps on speedtes leh.

Try resetting your router to default settings.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Go to the wireless menu in your router, channel bandwidth. Change it to "80mhz"

Last edited:

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Ok will try the 80mhz first and if still no good then try reset. Thanks so much bros.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Guys i just checked in detail the results of speedtest and realise that behind the ip address, there is another set of numbers that was different when wifi speed was higher. Is there any way to set it to that number again?

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
In speedtest results it starts with 10.208.156.xxx or something like that xxx being 3 other numbers heheh.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Anyway tried 80mhz and even restore to factory defaults. Wireless speed still the same under 150mbps. Maybe getting 500mbps was just a freak thing.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway tried 80mhz and even restore to factory defaults. Wireless speed still the same under 150mbps. Maybe getting 500mbps was just a freak thing.
Do a factory reset.

In speedtest results it starts with 10.208.156.xxx or something like that xxx being 3 other numbers heheh.
That is your IP from ISP.
All speedtest will show your IP.
There is method to change.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Pity the installer from m1 was super silent and super fast i didnt know what setting he used. eric3743, what should i do to get maximum speed for wifi again?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pity the installer from m1 was super silent and super fast i didnt know what setting he used. eric3743, what should i do to get maximum speed for wifi again?
You can ask them as I always so.
Include to see the speedtest they have to do to show you that is your plan.

Each wireless clients do have difference in connection speed.

For example, my router AC1750
Samsung S6 managed up to 500mbps whereas S7 are about 400mbps.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Currently I only using my smartphone which is the Samsung Note 4. But on first two days after m1 installation it was 500mbps on speed test. Then after firmware installation, and logging into asus router online interface, it became 140-150mbps. Actually too many settings in the asus interface that I don't know anything about, so I don't know if I made the wrong settings. Wish the M1 installer can come back... :(

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Currently I only using my smartphone which is the Samsung Note 4. But on first two days after m1 installation it was 500mbps on speed test. Then after firmware installation, and logging into asus router online interface, it became 140-150mbps. Actually too many settings in the asus interface that I don't know anything about, so I don't know if I made the wrong settings. Wish the M1 installer can come back... :(

Actually to clarify things, is the Note 4 the same device you used to get the "500 Mbps" result earlier ?

If yes, then can you share what is the link rate of your wifi connection ? Check phone wifi menu, click info of your wifi connection.

Lastly, do you have single SSID or separate SSID for 2.4 / 5.0 wifi signals ?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Usually after firmware updated do factory reset.

Simple method.
Press and hold the reset button on the router until the power light on the router begins to flash, and then release the button.
The router will reset the settings and restart. The next time the router is accessed, the initial setup screen will appear.

Most issues would be resolved.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Actually to clarify things, is the Note 4 the same device you used to get the "500 Mbps" result earlier ?

If yes, then can you share what is the link rate of your wifi connection ? Check phone wifi menu, click info of your wifi connection.

Lastly, do you have single SSID or separate SSID for 2.4 / 5.0 wifi signals ?

Hi xonix,
Yes I only have one device for now. It is the Note 4 that i used to get 500mbps first time i speedtest.

Not sure about the link rate. Will check and get back to you.

As for SSID, i have separate SSID at the moment. Not sure if it was the same when M1 guy set it up. I might have made a mess with the router settings after the firmware update.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Ok xonix,
I just checked and my note4 link speed under 5g is 173mbps and under 2.4 is 130mbps. Is it normal or better to have single ssid or one for 2.4ghz and one for 5ghz?

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok xonix,
I just checked and my note4 link speed under 5g is 173mbps and under 2.4 is 130mbps. Is it normal or better to have single ssid or one for 2.4ghz and one for 5ghz?

It's easier to make sure you are on the faster band when there are 2 distinct ssid.

Note 4 should have link rate ( not actual speeds ) of 866mbps when connected to a comparable router like 1200 under optimal conditions.

Something has caused your phone to connect at slower link rate, therefore limiting your max Wi-Fi speed. Do you have any power saving mode activated on the phone ?

Or try switch the 5ghz channel to the lower channel in the router Wi-Fi menu...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.