Asus Aimesh allows some existing user to create mesh.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup! Just recently swapped a bunch of my old routers (N15 + AC1200) connected as Wireless AP's to my main RT-AC68U, to the following setup:

RT-AC68U (Main)
RT-AC68U (Node)
RT-AC68U (Node)

Previously I had issues in different parts of the house when all routers were on the same SSID, because wireless devices would have trouble seamlessly switching from one router to the next, instead often times staying on the previous router because it still had 2-3 bars. Changing to separate SSIDs meant that I could select the router I wanted manually, but that was still a chore.

With this new setup I can walk to different parts of the house and it seems to switch far more seamlessly than previously based on my testing, and all without my intervention. I will test it for a few more days and report back, but so far it seems very very promising :)

P.S Do note that once the "Node" router is part of the network, it doesn't have its own separate admin panel anymore, all functionality is restricted, and administered purely from the main router. You can still manually allocate static IP's etc for the nodes however.

Wow you got so many AC68U routers?

New AC68U is costing about $200. I think it is not cost effective to use AC68U as a node.

Furthermore, other mesh routers are w/o antenna and more ergonomic in design.

It will be more cost effective if other Asus models can converted into Aimesh.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

New AC68U is costing about $200. I think it is not cost effective to use AC68U as a node.

Compared to the more popular mesh on the market like velop, lyra, orbi, deco, Google Wi-Fi etc...the price is comparable. In some cases, the 68u specs are also better.

DracZ

Reaction score
How are you assigning static ip for the node ? Please share, I couldn't find any option after it's added to the mesh network.

It wasn't really showing up properly from the list of available clients, so I just copied and pasted the MAC address manually, and assigned the address that way. Worked nicely after that!

The handover parts work good Liao?

I was using the following before:

RT-AC68U (Main)
RT-N15 (AP Mode)
RT-AC1200G+ (AP Mode)

When it was on the same SSID, my wireless devices would hang onto the wrong AP's sometimes because there was still 2-3 bars etc. Now it seems to choose the most powerful node much more quickly / correctly.

Compared to the more popular mesh on the market like velop, lyra, orbi, deco, Google Wi-Fi etc...the price is comparable. In some cases, the 68u specs are also better.

I bought a bunch second hand to supplement the one I already had. I think it cost me about $100 per router or thereabouts. Definitely cheaper than buying a brand new mesh networking kit. Also in terms of tweaking etc, the ASUS software will be a bit more robust than the mesh ones, because they're more geared towards ease of setup / simplicity.

DracZ

Reaction score
The only issue I've noticed so far is that my wired clients have all taken a significant throughput hit, even using ethernet as the backhaul between Main / Node. Previously I was getting 900 ~ / 450 ~ Mbps on my fibre connection (tested yesterday at the same time), now I'm getting 350 ~ / 250 ~ Mbps, tested at the same time 1 day later.

Apparently according to the ASUS rep on the SNB forums, it's a known issue and they are working on it. Just thought I'd highlight this to you guys first!

(Even before a fix is found, the trade-off for me personally is worth it, since the handover issue > speed issue on my end)

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I bought a bunch second hand to supplement the one I already had. I think it cost me about $100 per router or thereabouts. Definitely cheaper than buying a brand new mesh networking kit. Also in terms of tweaking etc, the ASUS software will be a bit more robust than the mesh ones, because they're more geared towards ease of setup / simplicity.

Where did you get a 2nd hand AC68 router for $100?

I have been aiming for this model for some time. I think 2nd hand cheapest was at least $180.

In the end, I bought a new one for $200.

DracZ

Reaction score
Where did you get a 2nd hand AC68 router for $100?

I have been aiming for this model for some time. I think 2nd hand cheapest was at least $180.

In the end, I bought a new one for $200.

It's actually pretty easy if you shop around on carousell. These routers were standard issue for alot of ISP's over the last few years, so there are heaps of people selling them regularly. I managed to pick both mine up in a week without too much effort!

ah_cleo

Master Member
Reaction score
i do not have any ethernet point laid ard the house, if i connect via wireless, would upload and download be affected?

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i do not have any ethernet point laid ard the house, if i connect via wireless, would upload and download be affected?

Of course it would not be the same performance as connected by Ethernet LAN. But if laying cables is out of the question, this is next best option already.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's actually pretty easy if you shop around on carousell. These routers were standard issue for alot of ISP's over the last few years, so there are heaps of people selling them regularly. I managed to pick both mine up in a week without too much effort!

OK. You are very lucky to find both for $100. These guys must be kuku to be selling at such a low price. :D

Yes I searched at Carousell. The cheapest I can find is $180.

ah_cleo

Master Member
Reaction score
Of course it would not be the same performance as connected by Ethernet LAN. But if laying cables is out of the question, this is next best option already.

Would it be like using repeater, end up the speed got halved?

Kyubi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually have already setup aimesh.. just to check.. wps is needed to be on right?

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Not as bad as a cheap repeater, probably the same as a high end repeater or faster.

Benefit is the mesh roaming capability and able to reuse old routers for those who have them

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It will be nice if AC56U is supported. Because of the antenna-less design.

DracZ

Reaction score

No not exactly, I suggest you give this reddit thread a quick read to find out the difference between AP / repeater / mesh:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wireless/comments/6bxye7/wired_mesh_vs_wireless_mesh_vs_multiple_access/?utm_source=reddit-android

danxiaogui86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the mesh system auto setup? I put a new router inside my room linked up with wired cable(this new router internet indicator lighted up) but I use the ASUS app, can’t find the router for aimesh....

What is your router model? Is it flash to the latest AiMesh firmware? U will need to add the mesh. There a guide to do this.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.