HDTV talk - antenna and reception issues [consolidated]

revenant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys. I just terminated my Starhub CableTV. Any recommendation of decent indoor antenna for Smart TV? Thanks.

azarthoth

Reaction score
Hi all, when the guy from panasonic came to install/mount my tv, he used this small usb device to show me it could receive the free to air channels. Anyone here have any idea what was the device?

I'm asking cos I'm trying to find a wireless alternative to install an antenna

thanks in advance.

hostet

Reaction score
Hi all, when the guy from panasonic came to install/mount my tv, he used this small usb device to show me it could receive the free to air channels. Anyone here have any idea what was the device?

I'm asking cos I'm trying to find a wireless alternative to install an antenna

thanks in advance.

That is an antenna amplifier. It is part of those amplifier digital antenna,

minuteez

Reaction score
Receiving Analogue Channels

Hi all, just got a Philips 32" TV with built in Tuner.

Managed to get all SG Digital FTA channels. But I cant get any of the SG channels via Analogue. Is that normal?

I managed to get several Indonesia channels though, albeit really poor quality. Only 1 or 2 are borderline watchable :s13:

Im using a cheap $10 antenna similar to those in post #398.

What are the chances that the antenna is faulty? Do you guys think buying a funke combo 5.1 & using the boost will improve my reception?

Ultimate aim is to try get malaysia channels. Currently no hints of any malaysia channels even if I manually tune to malaysia channel frequency that was mentioned in one of the old posts(cant seem to find it now).

Im staying in Eunos area & on 3rd floor. My area is green, ie indoor signal ready.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just got a Philips 32" TV with built in Tuner.

Managed to get all SG Digital FTA channels. But I cant get any of the SG channels via Analogue. Is that normal?

I managed to get several Indonesia channels though, albeit really poor quality. Only 1 or 2 are borderline watchable :s13:

Im using a cheap $10 antenna similar to those in post #398.

What are the chances that the antenna is faulty? Do you guys think buying a funke combo 5.1 & using the boost will improve my reception?

Ultimate aim is to try get malaysia channels. Currently no hints of any malaysia channels even if I manually tune to malaysia channel frequency that was mentioned in one of the old posts(cant seem to find it now).

Im staying in Eunos area & on 3rd floor. My area is green, ie indoor signal ready.

It is normal.

IF your TV can give you 1080p full hd video, why are you trying to get poor quality analog video??

Your area is indoor signal ready, that's why you can receive 7 HD singapore channels.

It has nothing to do with malaysia channels.

minuteez

Reaction score
IF your TV can give you 1080p full hd video, why are you trying to get poor quality analog video??

Main aim is to try get the Malaysian channels. But found it quite odd that I couldnt get any sg analogue channels, even with antenna out the window. So thought I'd just check to see if I can rule out faulty antenna. Don't want to buy a $50 active antenna if I dont need to.

Probably divert the $$$ to tv box now :D

waltergoh

Reaction score
anyone can advise what antenna should I buy if I want to receive Malaysia and Indonesia channel

minuteez

Reaction score
anyone can advise what antenna should I buy if I want to receive Malaysia and Indonesia channel

Summary of my readings past few days + own trial & error.

Getting Overseas channels is less about antenna & more about location & level of flat. To quote one of the posts, "getting overseas channel is a bonus".

Seems like:

1) If you stay near coast, chances higher to receiving Overseas channel. Eg, someone in Yishun managed to receive most of Malaysia's free to air channels. I managed to receive Indo channels but poor quality. I cant get Malaysia channels from 3rd floor of Eunos area flat.

2) If you stay higher floors where antenna "line of sight" is not blocked, higher chance to receiving Overseas Channel.

So suggest you take into consideration your location & try with cheap antenna 1st. If you can receive, but with poor quality, then maybe can invest in active antenna.

Otherwise, suggest you explore other options to receive Overseas channels, like SH/Mio/Android box.

Also, maybe you can tell us your location & flat level. The more experienced brothers can chip in then.

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
Main aim is to try get the Malaysian channels. But found it quite odd that I couldnt get any sg analogue channels, even with antenna out the window. So thought I'd just check to see if I can rule out faulty antenna. Don't want to buy a $50 active antenna if I dont need to.

I was also trying my best to get Malaysian Channel in low level flat in the East side and even went to buy active 80KM antennas from Harvey Norman and Amazon to ensure coverage to Malaysia. Alas, it was but a complete and utter waste of my money. At least Amazon is nice enough to refund and let me keep the device since shipping back to US will be a more costly feat.

So take it from my experience, if you cannot even remotely get Malaysian channel, save your money and don't invest in any active antennas.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If you want to watch malaysia free to air channels, just get an cheap andriod box for less than $30, then install "TV Malaysia Online" by Zafitrah from playstore.

You can also get FTA indonesia channels from another app from the same author.

You can try it on your android phone or tablet first.

Last edited:

ralliart12

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Check the bit error rate, and signal strentgth and quality that your tv is receiving. All digital tv allow u to do so. I, too, was having similar problems and found that the bit error was 2000 whenever the picture quality deteriorated while signal strength and quality were both at 100%. It turns out that my router's signal was interfering with my tv's antenna. Solved the problem by getting a new antenna from carousell that was much cheaper than the branded one I got from NTUC.

So if the bit error rate is crappy, having 100% signal rate also no point? What causes poor bit error rate?

& also, which parameter is the Bit Error Rate in this TV Model?

Last edited:

Zitrone

Reaction score
I too, have bought a Philips 32" with an integrated DVB-T2 tuner. I am satisfied if i can get all the FTA channels. Does that mean it is not necessary to buy the range from Funke 250 or 550 as recommended on the mediacorp website? Would just a $10-$20 indoor UHF antenna do? My flat is on the 8th flr

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I too, have bought a Philips 32" with an integrated DVB-T2 tuner. I am satisfied if i can get all the FTA channels. Does that mean it is not necessary to buy the range from Funke 250 or 550 as recommended on the mediacorp website? Would just a $10-$20 indoor UHF antenna do? My flat is on the 8th flr

you have to test it yourself.

I am using those $2 dvb-t antenna, and I can receive all channels.

Starbutt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you want to watch malaysia free to air channels, just get an cheap andriod box for less than $30, then install "TV Malaysia Online" by Zafitrah from playstore.

You can also get FTA indonesia channels from another app from the same author.

You can try it on your android phone or tablet first.

Can't find TV Malaysia Online in Play store. Has it been taken down? Any other alternatives?

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

you have to try yourself with antennas, different people get different results. Even I have a strong funke Combo 5.1 antenna, i still get some distortions when receiving malaysian digital channels.

Cos i'm living low floors, lots of trees and building blocking, hence, i would get interference sometimes.

Norman Chan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just for info that some tv has the choice to let you either select Digital tuning or Analog tuning.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.