EDMW Knife Collectors

mamba2012

Reaction score
Anyone come across titanium blades???

Yes, they don't cut well and don't hold an edge, unless carbidized. Titanium isn't a good blade choice by any means, unless it's for desk-diving.

If you are an actual diver, you may wanna consider the h1 series from Spyderco for rust resistance.

Rock-kun

Reaction score
Yes, they don't cut well and don't hold an edge, unless carbidized. Titanium isn't a good blade choice by any means, unless it's for desk-diving.

If you are an actual diver, you may wanna consider the h1 series from Spyderco for rust resistance.

Actually, I would think that for divers, any cheapo no-name Chinese knife with 3cr13 steel will do the job. That steel is very corrosion resistant and costs a fraction of Spyderco's H1.

Sure, 3cr13 is very soft and cannot hold its edge for long (although it depends a lot on what is actually being cut underwater). But it can take a working edge from a fine stone in almost no time.

vhungryy

Reaction score
Recently got a Mora basic stainless steel and it got chipped after I opened a few durians. :eek::eek:

8jjYCsN.jpg

Last edited:

vhungryy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m wondering if this knife (Kershaw Fatback) is allowed to bring into Singapore.
It has assisted opening.

Assisted opening is not allowed. Those with spring or something inside where you press a button and it pops out.

vhungryy

Reaction score
If it has a button, it's considered an automatic. Not an assisted.

Well, automatic is not allowed too. So I kinda just categorise it altogether. Haha.

Anyway those with a thumb stud or flipper (without spring inside) should be ok from my understanding (pls dont quote me).

Rock-kun

Reaction score
Assisted opening is not allowed. Those with spring or something inside where you press a button and it pops out.

Don't spread misinformation and fake news. Assisted openers are allowed, and there are two big resellers here carrying Kershaw products.

My Kershaw Leek, Kershaw Blackout are CRKT Moxie are all bought locally.

vhungryy

Reaction score
Don't spread misinformation and fake news. Assisted openers are allowed, and there are two big resellers here carrying Kershaw products.

My Kershaw Leek, Kershaw Blackout are CRKT Moxie are all bought locally.

I'm not spreading fake news. It's on the Police website. They categorise under Flick Knife.

A flick knife is a knife which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife.

And this picture is shown.
2ni1ov6.jpg

Last edited:

Rock-kun

Reaction score
Read your own definition:

A flick knife is a knife which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife.

AOs use flippers and/or thumbstuds on the blade. The hand never ever exerts any pressure to the torsion bar in any way.

And the blade never opens automatically. It needs to be nudged out by a small amount manually by the user before the spring takes over. On Kershaws this is almost at a 30 - 40deg before the spring will complete the opening.

On most other AOs it's around 10 to 20 deg opening angle.

This is completely different from an automatic where the user applies direct pressure to a button or lever on the handle which immediately fires the blade out into the open position.

Last edited:

vhungryy

Reaction score
Read your own definition:

AOs use flippers and/or thumbstuds on the blade. The hand never ever exerts any pressure to the torsion bar in any way.

And the blade never opens automatically. It needs to be nudged out by a small amount manually by the user before the spring takes over. On Kershaws this is almost at a 30 - 40deg before the spring will complete the opening.

On most other AOs it's around 10 to 20 deg opening angle.

This is completely different from an automatic where the user applies direct pressure to a button or lever on the handle which immediately fires the blade out into the open position.

I think the description is a little dubious. Anyone has check directly with the authority for clarification?

plakat

Master Member
Reaction score
"convex" my F95 a yr ago and that's been the best in terms of sharpening it.. didn't really need to do anything more except occasional stropping. And this knife gets used frequently...

Got bored last week an decided to hone that "convex" even further...

Rough off the bench...
20171227_164729.jpg

Almost there...
26057989_10155944074022173_11667798_n.jpg

IMG_20171227_155700_894.jpg

A little test...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80nly13rEwc

and...
IMG_20171226_193532_511.jpg

Can share how u convex the edge ? and what stropping compound do you use? Bark river green/white?

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Happy 2018 everyone. I haven't posted in awhile, was away for other adventures, plus you can follow me on my IG feed if you want to know what this old man is doing haha.

n1WDT7J.jpg

zq3vjmF.jpg

The Surefire M3T with a crenelated bezel is for sale too, it comes with:
- Elektrolumens 800lumens warm LED lamp module
- Surefire red filter
- Elektrolumens high outpout 250lumens lamp assembly, plus
- the original Surefire 250lumens and 125lumens lamp assemblies are included.

Awesome classic Surefire. Great for collectors. $400 negotiable slightly.

Thanks for looking. Pls DM if interested. No trades and no lowballing either :)

Have a knife day knife folks!

Last edited:

anvil_den

Reaction score
Can share how u convex the edge ? and what stropping compound do you use? Bark river green/white?

It all started when I first messed up the edge on this knife 2 years back by trying to bring it into a 17dps... 1st time trying to do it-- it was between 1 to 1.5 degree change from the 17
This time I did a 0.3-0.4 degree and stepped up all the way from the 17 till ~22.5dps and then stropped everything smooth.

So its isnt a true convex like what you would get with a belt grinder.

Compounds.. some coarse diamond paste (cant remember name now) and the final ones I swear by are Wicked Edge diamond compounds 5 and 3.5 microns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=80nly13rEwc

I'm done tinkering at this point... break over, back to work.
26175646_10155951764517173_835499515_n.jpg

Last edited:

Rock-kun

Reaction score
Just a bump: Kershaw's new 2018 designs are in, and for a change, at least a third of them are manual folders instead of Speedsafe assisted.

On the other hand, CRKT is going deeper with larger knives (3.5" and above) and AOs. I like Matthew Learch's and Ken Steigerwalt's designs, but almost all the nice stuff from them in CRKT's lineup are AOs.

Why can't cutlery companies from anywhere in the world (even you, China) give us a suitable offering of manual folders with blade lengths < 3.3" that aren't also so fat and wide? :(

My ideal knife is one with a slimness similar to the Benchmade 940-1, but with the blade length chopped down to 3" - 3.2" and in softer 5cr13 steel so that it won't break the bank (about 30USD).

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Just a bump: Kershaw's new 2018 designs are in, and for a change, at least a third of them are manual folders instead of Speedsafe assisted.

On the other hand, CRKT is going deeper with larger knives (3.5" and above) and AOs. I like Matthew Learch's and Ken Steigerwalt's designs, but almost all the nice stuff from them in CRKT's lineup are AOs.

Why can't cutlery companies from anywhere in the world (even you, China) give us a suitable offering of manual folders with blade lengths < 3.3" that aren't also so fat and wide? :(

My ideal knife is one with a slimness similar to the Benchmade 940-1, but with the blade length chopped down to 3" - 3.2" and in softer 5cr13 steel so that it won't break the bank (about 30USD).

the mall ninjas want big and beefy.

I don't like the softer steels, tired of seeing the edge roll.

I did see 2 Kizer models that are interesting - one is Isham's Theta, the other is Swan's Matanzas.

Last edited:

Rock-kun

Reaction score
the mall ninjas want big and beefy.

Ken Steigerwalt's Ignitor isn't exactly what I'll consider a mall ninja's toy:

httpimages.salsify.comimageuploads--wcmc1i5x--c_padw_1840h_824fl_clip.png8d38cgu8rcnjkn4yailvu.png

Looks slim and neat. But the 3.4" blade length is a little on the long side, and it would have been great if it were a manual folder, even though AOs are allowed here. That CRKT is still selling it after a few years is proof that it's quite a popular model.

Golden_Fox

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are many small bugs crawling on my blades. I wash them off with water but those bugs reappear a few days later.

What are things I can do?

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
There are many small bugs crawling on my blades. I wash them off with water but those bugs reappear a few days later.

What are things I can do?

where are you storing them? in wood/leather/paper/cloth boxes/wrappers/pouch? they are likely book lice or mould mites. You have to clean everything out, and sun it. as long as there is dampness and high humidity, they will thrive.

I see the bugs on furniture, in wooden boxes, old trinkets. Just clean the place up with a light vinegar solution. They will always be where food sources are, but at least you can keep them to a minimum.

After cleaning the blades/folders/storage/sheaths, store your blades outside the sheath in a dry box. That should keep them to a minimum.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.