M1 Data Passport problems

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe is M1 contact Globe to force 4G on your number. Dk la, so weird. :s22:
Interesting answer if correct.

Alternately the limit to use 4G is up, next user would be 3G.
User should test on this.. haha.
But then again may allowed one per user account if both on same acct.

Foreign Telco is like Guest.
Priority is not there.
So a complain may work.

galaxyuser

Reaction score
Possible Workaround to push H or H+ to 4G or 4G+!

Hey everyone so I just wanna share something I did that worked for me when I used M1 Data Passport while in Japan. (Disclaimer: I tried this on my Samsung Galaxy Note8 which has Dual SIM capability.)

Ever wonder how to boost the data strength from HSPA or HSDPA network to 4G or LTE-Advanced? Well here's a workaround, spefically for Samsung phones only.

Do this only after you have correctly set up the proper APN profile if necessary.

Now do the following steps:

1. Open "Phone". Enter *#2263#. SERVICEMODE should pop up.
2. For dual-sim models, SERVICEMODE gives two options: STACK 1 or STACK 2. If you inserted your targeted SIM card into SIM 1, select STACK 1. If SIM 2 then select STACK 2.
3. Now another panel should appear showing a few options, the top few being Band Selection, HSPA Setting, and Band Disable. Select HSPA Setting.
4. A new panel will now appear. 6 options should rightfully appear, namely R4 Only, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA_REL7, HSPA_REL8 and HSPA_REL9. Select HSPA_REL8 and you're good to go, you will either have 4G or 4G+ depending on the overseas telco (note: this depends on whether the overseas telco has implemented 4G coverage). If this fails, select HSPA_REL7 or HSPA_REL9.

This series of steps might work for single-SIM Samsung phones. It may work with other Android phones but the code to launch this SERVICEMODE may differ across phone brands.

Hope this helped a few people. Just a tip from a small contributor which is me.

Last edited:

ken_chia

Reaction score
The are additional charges using the M1 Data Passport:
1. There is activation charges of $10 (now changed to $2??)
2. The service renew automatically every month.
3. You need to deactivate it. Activate the service again you will get the activation charge.
4. You will get call roaming charges for voice call e.g. Uber driver call your phone.

My son used the service in last december for his 3 days Malaysia trip and was billed the service again in the January. I had called to ask for waiver and was told, " you will have to pay for the service even if you didnt use at all, it is stated in the website... nothing can be done in this case.."
So be mindful.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The are additional charges using the M1 Data Passport:
1. There is activation charges of $10 (now changed to $2??)
2. The service renew automatically every month.
3. You need to deactivate it. Activate the service again you will get the activation charge.
4. You will get call roaming charges for voice call e.g. Uber driver call your phone.

My son used the service in last december for his 3 days Malaysia trip and was billed the service again in the January. I had called to ask for waiver and was told, " you will have to pay for the service even if you didnt use at all, it is stated in the website... nothing can be done in this case.."
So be mindful.

M1 Data Passport - Celcom Malaysia
$10/month, charged at the date of activation. Recurring charges.
$2 Activation charge, except NTUC members or Sunrisers.

Only data services on Celcom network are charged under Data Passport. Voice/SMS, and Data charges outside of Celcom networK are Pay-Per-Use rates.

The Activation charge has been in place since M1 launched the Data Passport a few years ago. The monthly subscription has already been changed, on the past it was charged based on the billing date, now it's every 28-31 days depending on the date of activation.

b6W9q5j_d.jpg

Last edited:

tinsel77

Reaction score
sorry to hijack the thread. anyone used m1 passport in perth? how is the connection speed?

thanks

Gaiason

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so for data passport is ok for moi in diff countries.. :(:(

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i will get the prepaid data roam package. Easy and simple. cheaper ba also

koreanlover

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looks like buying the local sim card at the country you are in might be better.

Eviltrap

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone had this problem with the data passport?

On 2 occasions I used, it charged me for a few sms. First time I called to waive, the CSO said can only waive this time. My Sim card is a data Sim from the fibre broadband. Coz I used the sim card in an iPhone to hotspot, so she said it probably be sms sent by other phones. I said, if sms sent, why will it use hotspot? She couldn't answer.

So 2nd time, I was very careful. But still kena. I'm positive I didn't send any sms. (Who still use it with data nowadays?)

So I just wanna check anyone had this problem? I received quite a few from the local telco once connected though.

Sent from Samsung SM-N9005 using GAGT

Last edited:

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone had this problem with the data passport?

On 2 occasions I used, it charged me for a few sms. First time I called to waive, the CSO said can only waive this time. My Sim card is a data Sim from the fibre broadband. Coz I used the sim card in an iPhone to hotspot, so she said it probably be sms sent by other phones. I said, if sms sent, why will it use hotspot? She couldn't answer.

So 2nd time, I was very careful. But still kena. I'm positive I didn't send any sms. (Who still use it with data nowadays?)

So I just wanna check anyone had this problem? I received quite a few from the local telco once connected though.

Could be iMessage activation.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

Eviltrap

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Could be iMessage activation.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT
I checked my phone settings. Indeed, iMessage was on.

But I did notice it said that iMessage uses data.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I checked my phone settings. Indeed, iMessage was on.

But I did notice it said that iMessage uses data.

Insert SIM / Restart handset may trigger the iMessage activation. I faced that a lot of times on StarHub Mobile and had to call in to waive off.

M1 automatically waive the charge for Postpaid Mobile customers when they're logged onto M1 network (locally). Roaming network will charge M1, which in turn will charge you.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.