Asus Aimesh allows some existing user to create mesh.

danxiaogui86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I deployed 2 x AC88U as AiMesh setup with ethernet as backbone. Happy with this so far.

Compare to deploying a AP, u have to setup everything while AiMesh just pull the settings from the master router. And there only a single SSID and handing over of devices to stronger node is quite fast as well.

stam

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

yarmun

Reaction score
Used ac68u for below SGD100

Just wanted to share for those who wants to get a cheap second hand AC68U, I have just bought a Certified refurbished AC1900 (which is ac68u) from amazon us, costed $49+11 shipping, so about SGD80. Its condition is as good as brand new, and comes with 90 days warranty, and shipping took just 1 week. It does come with a TC Mobile logo, which I see as the only downside to this awesome deal.

It then takes 1-3 hrs of following online guide to convert from AC1900 firmware to AC68U, depends on your tech saviness. Steps are in the amazon items questions, it is a popular process US buyers are doing, so plenty of googles hits on it.

After 2hrs, I got it converted into a proper ASUS AC68U. Now it is happily connected to my AC88U as a AiMesh node.

Amazon price can fluctuate a bit based on whether the seller has stock, probably due to this AiMesh news, stock has been running low, although they are restocking.

ah_cleo

Master Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share for those who wants to get a cheap second hand AC68U, I have just bought a Certified refurbished AC1900 (which is ac68u) from amazon us, costed $49+11 shipping, so about SGD80. Its condition is as good as brand new, and comes with 90 days warranty, and shipping took just 1 week. It does come with a TC Mobile logo, which I see as the only downside to this awesome deal.

It then takes 1-3 hrs of following online guide to convert from AC1900 firmware to AC68U, depends on your tech saviness. Steps are in the amazon items questions, it is a popular process US buyers are doing, so plenty of googles hits on it.

After 2hrs, I got it converted into a proper ASUS AC68U. Now it is happily connected to my AC88U as a AiMesh node.

Amazon price can fluctuate a bit based on whether the seller has stock, probably due to this AiMesh news, stock has been running low, although they are restocking.

i read thru, quite complicated. mind to share your steps or links where u perform it instead?

DracZ

Reaction score
i read thru, quite complicated. mind to share your steps or links where u perform it instead?

This is definitely not for the faint hearted, if you value your time more it's advisable to just buy a second hand RT-AC68U instead and save yourself the headache.

For those wanting to try, there's a big thread on the SNB forums:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/aimesh-on-the-t-mobile-tm-ac1900.43278/

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Paying $80 for a refurbished set with 3 months warranty only. Plus must spend 2-3 hours to flash.

A new one costs $200 with 3 years warranty. I rather buy the new one.

Or wait for more models to be supported.

yarmun

Reaction score

hwz doesnt allow me to post link. pls convert the 'dot' below manually

www dot bayareatechpros dot com/ac1900-to-ac68u/

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have problems with 2 AC88u linked via wireless

The AI mesh node appears in network map and assigned an auto IP.

But it drops off the AiMesh Network.

I can't seem to telnet/SSH or web GUI to reboot the ap either

As it's above the door I need to take a chair and pen to reset before I can add back to the ai mesh router. Is there an easier way to do this?

The web GUI keeps saying it cannot connect the parent ap and won't let me proceed further after I log into the AP /AI Mesh node.

ah_cleo

Master Member
Reaction score

As it's above the door I need to take a chair and pen to reset before I can add back to the ai mesh router. Is there an easier way to do this?

The web GUI keeps saying it cannot connect the parent ap and won't let me proceed further after I log into the AP /AI Mesh node.

looks like that's the only way so far..

ah_cleo

Master Member
Reaction score

saw on amazon now price increase to $59. and there is 2 seller.. 1 is asus, the other is T-mobile. funny is that T-mobile seller dun have their logo on the router where asus seller got. lol

DracZ

Reaction score

Did you perform a full factory reset for both routers after flashing the new firmware?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This firmware is working better for me 3.0.0.4.384_20287

I am using pure wireless because the ethernet cable is spoilt.

5 ghz repeating is holding up even after 1 days 12 hours 3 minute(s) 18 seconds.

i used to only get half an hr on ai mesh on the 10007 firmware.

Still cannot access then gui cause i would be redirected away if i did that. still cannot assign a static ip on the second aimesh ap.

Link speed with door closed is 150Mbps at -57 dpi at the furthest point away from the second aimesh point

efini81

Reaction score
Any chance for ac66u (non USB) to get the imesh firmware? Ac66u thou is old model but really solid in terms of firmware stability

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any chance for ac66u (non USB) to get the imesh firmware? Ac66u thou is old model but really solid in terms of firmware stability

Check if you're is the B1 variant.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/official-release-aimesh-firmware-v3-0-0-4-384-10007-for-all-supported-products.43125/

But I suggest you get this instead

Version 3.0.0.4.384.20287 2018/01/2642.5 MBytes

ASUS RT-AC66U_B1 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.20287
Security fixed
- Fixed Smart Sync Stored XSS vulnerabilities. Thanks fo Guy Arazi's contribution.
- Fixed CVE-2018-5721 Stack-based buffer overflow

Bug fixed
- Fixed CTF related issues.
- Fixed client icon modification issue when client name includes special characters.
- Fixed error for new firmware available notification.
- Fixed PPTP VPN server connection error.
- Fixed repeater mode issue.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC66U_B1/FW_RT_AC66U_B1_300438420287.ZIP

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.