Oslo

ksapple

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I will be staying in Oslo in march for 2 night before moving starting my NIN.

Any help on how i shld plan my oslo 48 hrs stay?

Thank You

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I bought a 48 hours Oslo pass when I was there and just went those many museums which covered.

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2 days pass a is 595 nok

Oslo pass also included free transportation within the zone.

Most of the museum charged 100 nok for adult entrance fee. U need to visit at least 6 museums to cover the cost.

Reaction score
Oslo pass quite ex isit really worrh it?

Really depends on your taste. I felt the museums in Oslo were nothing great compared to those in other major European cities. Maybe with the exception of the Viking Ship Museum. And then there Munch's "The Scream" in the National Galllery, but the rest of the collection is pretty average. There are other museums dedicated to Munch!

If you're not into museums, you might be better off just buying a 24 or 48 hour travel pass that gives you unlimited free transport in Oslo (except the Airport transfer). The Oslo Pass includes the ferry to Bygdoy peninsula, which the regular travel pass doesn't. The travel pass can be bought with the public transport app, but I guess you can get it at the airport/train station too.

What to do in Oslo for 2 days? Apart from the museums, you can walk along the waterfront, where the opera house is. There's also a ski museum (Norwegians appear to be born with skis attached to their feet!!) and a sculpture park.

The walk along the river Akersvela is nice, and it ends at a big food hall, Mathallen, where you can eat relatively cheaply (by Norwegian standards, but not the rest of the world's). The Grunerlokka neighborhood is pretty hip.

I felt completely safe walking around with my kids, but do note that the area around the Central Station looks a bit dodgy. Quite a number of people high on drugs even during the day. Good exposure for sheltered Singaporean kids!

Taurus123

Reaction score
You can do a supplement top up of nok 66 for adult if you have already gotten the 24/48 hr travel pass.

Sent from Samsung SM-N950F using GAGT

galacticnick

Reaction score
If you have an interest in art, visit the Vigeland Park for the myriad human sculptures and National Gallery for the section dedicated to Munch.

Otherwise, 48 hours in Oslo is 48 hours too much. (You can cover the above in less than 24.)

ksapple

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any recommendation on the amount of currency needed to change?

Reaction score
any recommendation on the amount of currency needed to change?

Zero. In the 2 weeks we spent in Norway - some days in really small villages - we didn't come across any establishment that didn't accept credit cards. In fact, cash use seems unusual in Norway. I think that's the case in all Nordic countries. In Sweden there are many places that refuse to accept cash.

There was a museum somewhere that needed a coin to use the lockers to store our bags, but the lady at the counter just gave me 5 kroner from her drawer. I guess not many people carry cash. Lol!

If needed, you can always find an ATM machine. I think DBS charges a $5 fee per withdrawal but you won't need to withdraw anything unless someone's credit card machine is broken. Exchange rates for "exotic" currencies like NOK tend to be as competitive as money changers'.

ksapple

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Zero. In the 2 weeks we spent in Norway - some days in really small villages - we didn't come across any establishment that didn't accept credit cards. In fact, cash use seems unusual in Norway. I think that's the case in all Nordic countries. In Sweden there are many places that refuse to accept cash.

There was a museum somewhere that needed a coin to use the lockers to store our bags, but the lady at the counter just gave me 5 kroner from her drawer. I guess not many people carry cash. Lol!

If needed, you can always find an ATM machine. I think DBS charges a $5 fee per withdrawal but you won't need to withdraw anything unless someone's credit card machine is broken. Exchange rates for "exotic" currencies like NOK tend to be as competitive as money changers'.

what about bus? i doing NIN DIY, most of the bus cannot booked advance like tat how?

Reaction score
what about bus? i doing NIN DIY, most of the bus cannot booked advance like tat how?

I can't comment on that specific bus but elsewhere (like airport transfers in Trondheim) bus drivers had credit card readers.

applefreak

Reaction score
not sure about other places but we kinda got stranded in oslo because we had no cash on us
we only had a zone 1 pass but went into zone 2 accidentally
bus only accepts cash, couldn't find anywhere to make withdrawal and my sg credit card didn't work on the ruter app
we tried our luck and thankfully the bus driver let us on despite us not being able to pay the zone-supplement...
that was in nov 2017

but that was the only instance cash was needed
you can pay be cc even to use the toilet in the shopping mall :o

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.