2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread IV [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

loyloykooly

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to get new speakers for my laptop (mainly to blast music) because my old one is busted. I just want to ask, if I want to shop for new speakers online, what do i look out for? There's no other way to test out the quality of the speakers other than to go to the physical shop and listen with my own ears right? Because some shops can't even test, it's all in the boxes.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to get new speakers for my laptop (mainly to blast music) because my old one is busted. I just want to ask, if I want to shop for new speakers online, what do i look out for? There's no other way to test out the quality of the speakers other than to go to the physical shop and listen with my own ears right? Because some shops can't even test, it's all in the boxes.

Challenger, SLS, Inforcom shop they have speakers for customer to test.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

And online shops don't even let you see the boxes.

What to look out for?
1) What is your perceived worth of the product?
2) What is others' perceived worth of the product? Affects point (1) above as well as sellability / repairability / modability. Because if everybody says its good, it makes you feel good and it makes the product good.
3) What is the price / sale price of the product w.r.t. point (1) and (2) above?

Then when you're happy, just hoot. Then you'll always be happy regardless of what you hoot.

Well you can actually predict how they will sound to some extent. Like some reviewers already decided their verdicts before listening to the speakers.

Then just make sure it fits your requirements (size, frequency response / quality in general, price) can liao.

Because a 3-star @ $500 product that you can buy for $250 is going to make you happier than a 5-star @ $500 product that you pay $500 for, or a 5-star @ $250 product that you pay $250 for.

RazorLotus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Okay so my m200mkii is pretty much RIP.

I tried bringing it to repair and it came back with the same problem. There's a sort of buzzing sound that's varying in frequency across both speakers when I turn them on after a while. Also, the sound coming out is a little distorted, especially at higher volume levels. (Higher as in, higher than my normal listening level. It's about 30% of the speaker volume which shouldn't be too much for it to handle)

At this point I'm thinking of just replacing it rather than to keep sending it for repair. (The last time I went, they blasted some music through it for awhile and then told me it nothing was wrong even though I insisted that there was lol)

Anyone got any suggestions for speakers of similar price and performance to the swans m200mkii? Preferably 2.0 system as I don't have space for a sub

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just about 2 years old and my Macklemore CR4s need to be sent in for repair. Need to jiggle the “swap main speaker L/R” switch a few times to get both sides to have sound. Hope the fix isn’t prohibitive

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Okay so my m200mkii is pretty much RIP.

I tried bringing it to repair and it came back with the same problem. There's a sort of buzzing sound that's varying in frequency across both speakers when I turn them on after a while. Also, the sound coming out is a little distorted, especially at higher volume levels. (Higher as in, higher than my normal listening level. It's about 30% of the speaker volume which shouldn't be too much for it to handle)

At this point I'm thinking of just replacing it rather than to keep sending it for repair. (The last time I went, they blasted some music through it for awhile and then told me it nothing was wrong even though I insisted that there was lol)

Anyone got any suggestions for speakers of similar price and performance to the swans m200mkii? Preferably 2.0 system as I don't have space for a sub

Well hope they didn't charge you money for doing nothing.

If you have nothing to lose, want to leave at my place for a while?

Just about 2 years old and my Macklemore CR4s need to be sent in for repair. Need to jiggle the “swap main speaker L/R” switch a few times to get both sides to have sound. Hope the fix isn’t prohibitive

A more permanent fix would be called "f*** the switch" and just permanently short it out. You lose the ability to switch but you also lose the ability to spoil.

Abyssal.Xuan

Reaction score
I know a lil vague but looking to get a 2.1 speakers in my room.

Might hook it up to the TV and also occasionally to phone and laptop.

Max I'll go is probably 400?

Currently eyeing the following 3:

Aego 3

Logitech z625

Hivi Swans M10

I know the range quite big but that's why I'm asking for opinions! Thank you!

Sent from LGE LG-H990 using GAGT

Amon86

Reaction score

Aego 3

Logitech z625

Hivi Swans M10

For gaming? there is a new range from razer upcoming
https://www.windowscentral.com/razer-nommo-speakers

Abyssal.Xuan

Reaction score
Might not be using it for gaming hahaha. I have headsets for that!

Using mostly for music and gaming ba

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Aego 3
Logitech z625
Hivi Swans M10

Aego 3 : ~$700, Logitech z625: $220-260, Hivi Swans M10: $128
TV - movies in room?, phone - Music?, laptop - Music & Gaming?

Some thoughts:-
- How high is your sound quality expectation for this round of speaker purchase?
- How long do you wish this purchase to fulfill your need over the years?

Although active speakers are better tuned as an integrated system, but if build-in Class D Amp fails, these speakers become more or less useless.

if A) higher music quality is priority over movies/gaming, spending more makes sense. B) Movie, gaming priority over music quality - can spend less.

For A - Built an entry-level audiophile system about $600 - Passive bookshelf speakers driven by latest well-match yet tiny affordable Class D amp brings good musical SQ, yet provide sufficient extended bass punch for movies, gaming; more versatile & likely last longer over the years.

For B - lots of choice across all into lower price range. Besides those you saw, checkout iLoud Micro Monitor, AudioEngine A5+, Creative T40, etc to your list. add Subwoofer if needed. Some come with THX certified.

Last edited:

RazorLotus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well hope they didn't charge you money for doing nothing.

If you have nothing to lose, want to leave at my place for a while?

Haha I'm still deciding whether I want to replace them. In a bit of a "save money" mode for now. Perhaps when I find a pair that I really like or can use for the time being

:(

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha I'm still deciding whether I want to replace them. In a bit of a "save money" mode for now. Perhaps when I find a pair that I really like or can use for the time being

Oouch...m200mkii cost around $300, oh sorry for that.

how long that Hivi served you before this SQ problem surfaced? Any idea what caused? Maybe can't expect much quality components out-of $300~ish?

As earlier pt trying make: As active speakers, once hardware problem arise nothing much you can do abt it, unless you are DIY technically inclined. If it was passive speaker system, functions are separate; allow us to isolate and replace the faulty.

produde1999

Master Member
Reaction score

Sometimes when you burn money, it actually saves in long term.

Go for swans m3 passive. You can get them for $600 in carousell or taobao DIY-ers or $480 amazon(diy urself)

They are however designed for TV only.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX 3 using GAGT

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Or convert the M200MKII to passive?

Though there's a saying, as long as it still produces sound, it is worth repairing.

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Or convert the M200MKII to passive?

Though there's a saying, as long as it still produces sound, it is worth repairing.

There's a sort of buzzing sound that's varying in frequency across both speakers when I turn them on after a while. Also, the sound coming out is a little distorted, especially at higher volume levels.

no idea about M200MKII, he most probably need to ascertain:
- what cause the buzzing. Hope not the speaker coils, maybe built-in Class D amplifier/crossover, replace it.
- Or if turn into passive speaker, check if currently is active crossover, then has to work out what crossover parameters, and replace with right passive crossover - otherwise SQ would haywire.

consider the M200MKII is ard $300, these component are not easily obtainable in Sg, the cost might not be making sense.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
check if currently is active crossover

m200_rear.jpg

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It seems M200MKII do have passive crossover to use external amplification still still disable internal amplifier and PSU, rewire into the passive crossover (presuming passive component is still fine).

Other not really useful info: modding M200MKII

There's a sort of buzzing sound that's varying in frequency across both speakers when I turn them on after a while. Also, the sound coming out is a little distorted, especially at higher volume levels.

Just wonder, why not ask Hivi where was the last faulty part, and you pay to replace the entire (amplifier/PSU?) module? Well, does wwenze felt knowledgeable to advice what to replace?:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.