Fathers, is a good primary school really that important for your child?

stanleyzrs85

Reaction score
I don;t think school should really matter until high school. We forgot how to let kids be kids and how important that is for development as well

bryanisaac

Reaction score
It is up to individual parent. for me, i think it is impt.. I hope to provide my kid with the best if i can afford

ProLogic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So as you know, my baby is coming out end of the year. yesterday I catch up with my friend, he say need to plan for primary school liao. I say isn't it abit too early? He say no. If you want BTO near branded school, you need to apply now, and when BTO completed, just nice your child can apply primary school. He also say if you want to start as community leader, you need to also start serving now.

I studied in neighbourhood primary school myself but the more I google, the more I realised Singapore parents are really very kiasu, got this website called kiasu parents just talk about primary school, and I must admit the allure of my child entering a branded school does sound attractive. My friend told me, if no BTO, see which areas of resale appeal to you. Pay abit more nevermind, don't let cheap BTO price affect the future of your child. Yes you pay lower BTO price, but your child future will be affected just because he does not live near a branded school. Next time when he is older as a teenager, you want to apply BTO live punggol also nobody cares.

Is my friend right? Really so cut throat nowadays in primary school? Secondary school or JC I can understand but primary school level??? :(

HDB BTO also can have direct impact on child education....:s8::s13::s22:

BwaySaiBoot

Reaction score
In the end, it is the kid's highest qualification that matters.

no mummy, u r behind the times liao. that was valid 20 yrs ago.
nao its the kids skill and ability that matters more.
another 10-20 yrs, prolly doctors time to feel jialat. like the philippines, churn out so many docs until no job

invigo79

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any school will do as long its nearby and convenient. Dont want to subject my kids to school bus.

My kid can wake up at 7am, get ready and reach school by 7:30am.

Sent from Home using GAGT

paul02

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So as you know, my baby is coming out end of the year. yesterday I catch up with my friend, he say need to plan for primary school liao. I say isn't it abit too early? He say no. If you want BTO near branded school, you need to apply now, and when BTO completed, just nice your child can apply primary school. He also say if you want to start as community leader, you need to also start serving now.

I studied in neighbourhood primary school myself but the more I google, the more I realised Singapore parents are really very kiasu, got this website called kiasu parents just talk about primary school, and I must admit the allure of my child entering a branded school does sound attractive. My friend told me, if no BTO, see which areas of resale appeal to you. Pay abit more nevermind, don't let cheap BTO price affect the future of your child. Yes you pay lower BTO price, but your child future will be affected just because he does not live near a branded school. Next time when he is older as a teenager, you want to apply BTO live punggol also nobody cares.

Is my friend right? Really so cut throat nowadays in primary school? Secondary school or JC I can understand but primary school level??? :(

Think you're planning too far ahead, settle with a place first and review your options when the child is about 6.

Be a good father first, and select a school not for its "brand" but for the values it espouses where possible.

charlestrip

Reaction score
I too have a kid just 2 years old and am already planning to get him into a top primary school. Too bad didn't plan it even earlier, now I will have to sell my current flat and buy a new resale depending on which school accepts me as PV in two years.

My rationale is simple. If my kid aspire to attain a certain level of academic achievement, however it is to be measured, he needs a certain amount of "education". As a father I am willing to do all I can to help him with achieving that. The value of a top school is such that the school can give him 80% what he needs, while the remaining 20% can be supplemented by maybe his own curiosity and drive, plus maybe home tutoring. If however I slack now and he ends up in a non-top school, then it could be the school gives him 50%, while the remaining 50% will have to rely on the kid working hard and me working my ass off tutoring him for him to achieve the same goal.

I find it fair and pragmatic. Parents who are kiasu and invest their time and energy in getting their kid into a good school will reap fair return they deserve.

Tparku

Reaction score
hi all,

just my 2 cents worth....

i was in a pretty normal primary school back then. although that school now became the top sch in the east now.

i only came to realise what it means when i got hired for a job (many years ago) simply because the company boss saw i graduated from that school.

talk about the effect of good schools :eek:

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
hi all,

just my 2 cents worth....

i was in a pretty normal primary school back then. although that school now became the top sch in the east now.

i only came to realise what it means when i got hired for a job (many years ago) simply because the company boss saw i graduated from that school.

talk about the effect of good schools :eek:

Yes, being from a good school helps in the future when u work. I remember, my being from MGS helped me have an easier time with a senior cardiologist who was also from MGS when I was a Medical Officer in NHC. Received much fewer scoldings than other MOs during ward rounds...:)

Reaction score
It’s kids ziwi score most important
Born with a high ziwi score will automatically enter a good school by luck and do well

Powwie

Reaction score
I am a father of 3. When my eldest girl was born, my wife and i went to volunteer at our RC. If your area has a couple of good schools, it is better to be a RC member than PV at a particular school. As GRL, you may apply to any schools within your GRC during phase 2B. This allows you to have plan A and plan B. Some may say that every school is a good school but we all know that is not true in reality. There will be some difference in the qaulity of the teaching staff as well as programmes offered. Exposure is different too.

fish&chips

Reaction score
All schools are good schools as they teach your kids to do good.
But the schools are of different levels.
U wan ur kids to hv better foundation in languages, being able to excel in academic & cca, able to manage tight schedules, push themselves a bit, be confident & outspoken... U need a better branded school.

fish&chips

Reaction score
Deviate a bit... i talk abt sec schools.
I see my 2 kids in diff sec schools.
One in neighbourhood... Really neighbourhood sec vs another in a more branded school.
No of subjects, curriculum, homework difficulties, engagement of principals/ teachers w parents, cca days etc... All so different.

invigo79

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For me, distance is the most important. I am lucky to have 2 decent schools nearby. Just 10 mins walk.

My P1 kid can wake up at 7am and reach school before 7:30am.

Sent from Home using GAGT

freewilly5000

Reaction score
Very important. It’s the key age group where children develop interest in particular areas. I read an article on NASA scientist: all linked back their interest to great science Teachers in Primary school

Clizeer

Reaction score
I got a high position Malaysia colleague said. I studied in a kampong primary school in Sabah but I still earn more than most Singaporeans �

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.