SAF IPPT, IPT & RT Questions...

egotisc

Reaction score
Hi there, hoping for some advice on the following. If my last ICT was in June 2017 and my MR is in Apr 2018, do I need to clear my IPPT if my window closes in June 2018? If so, and I fail, am I subjected to RT?

Calander

Reaction score
Hi there, hoping for some advice on the following. If my last ICT was in June 2017 and my MR is in Apr 2018, do I need to clear my IPPT if my window closes in June 2018? If so, and I fail, am I subjected to RT?

No. As the official cut-off for any IPPT window is every Apr. For your case, your MR is already at Apr and therefore, u are no longer subjected to any Mindef activities unless u have been recalled from the MR list.

LEUMAS

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. If I attend 10 sessions of ipt inclusive going for 1st session and last session of ippt, but did not fulfil the ppt standard. Am I still considered to have clear my ippt obligations?

Calander

Reaction score
Hi guys. If I attend 10 sessions of ipt inclusive going for 1st session and last session of ippt, but did not fulfil the ppt standard. Am I still considered to have clear my ippt obligations?

yes. regardless pass or fail.

lefthand

Reaction score
hi guys, can check nowadays still have games for RT? went maju 3 times but always only blue and red.

freedom-strike

Reaction score
Looks like it has been raining on and off since the start of the new year till now, hence any attempts for ippt shall be postponed till further notice.

When do you guys think will be a good time to attempt ippt?

TKR1992

Master Member
Reaction score
Let me emphasis, you attempted 13 IPPT in window 15/16 and failed and you're required to attend 7 RT in window 16/17. In window 16/17, the criteria to complete RT, as mentioned by Calander also, is the completion of the sessions required PLUS 1 attempt of IPPT.

Given that you'll only require 7 sessions of RT, there won't be any 8th sessions for you hence you won't be able to book your IPPT. Hence, you'll be deemed as IPPT defaulter in window 16/17 and congrats, 20 sessions of RT is waiting in window 17/18.

Hi, the information that you provided previously was incorrect.

Please refer to the following:

https://www.ns.sg/web/portal/nsmen/home/nstopics/ippt-ipt-rt/rt/guidelines-rt/rt

In the event that D is more than 20, it will be capped at 20. You will not have to take RT but must attempt at least 1 IPPT (i.e. Non-ICT IPPT or ICT IPPT) in your IPPT Window.

IPPT is also conducted on the 8th, 14th and 20th RT sessions (also known as RT IPPT). But if there are less than 8 RT sessions, RT IPPT will be held on the last session.

Hence, the correct answer is :In window 16/17, I only have to attend 7 RT sessions, and the 7th session will be my RT-IPPT.

I will not be a defaulter in the following window.

TKR1992

Master Member
Reaction score
Take note...

Conditions to enter RT -

1. Failed or defaulted your Individual Physical Proficiency Test (IPPT) in your previous window, or
2. Did not complete your IPPT Preparatory Training (IPT) in your previous window

U will still need to do RT even if u have had 20 IPPTs due to clause (1) mentioned above.

However, conditions to complete RT -

You must attend all required sessions of RT with at least 1 RT IPPT attempt, all within your current window. You can also fulfil your RT requirements earlier by passing an In-Camp Training (ICT) IPPT or either of your first 2 RT IPPT sessions.

The 1st RT-IPPT will be on the 8th.

Bottomline... is there any reason which u want to challenge the system which has been tweaked from 9mths to 12mths to complete IPT, with only a need to complete 10sessions instead of (10+8) , plus all IPT sessions has a 1/2 svc pay?

You may like to feedback to your constituency's MP, CMPB or Mindef if this revised system is still an issue to you.

Pls recognise the effort that Mindef has implemented. If everything a person wants to challenge, there will never be satisfaction.

N also, what is so wrong about to just go for 10 IPTs?

Hi, please see my previous post to correct your misunderstanding on this matter.

Calander

Reaction score
Hi, please see my previous post to correct your misunderstanding on this matter.

your posts was from a long time ago btw.

whether was it a misunderstanding or not, thanks for you in pointing it out if you have understood the system.

still, i think u do not understand the post that we had replied to your query.

TKR1992

Master Member
Reaction score
lol then like that go 20 IPPTs.

do 1 sit up 1 push up walk 30 min 2.4km for 20 times can clear everything

y not u try and test the system?

and service pay is only given for a max. of 3 IPPT sessions. whereas all IPTs and RTs are payable.

let us know after u done with 20 IPPTs, and were u being charged.

Hi, yes you can do this.

The rule is 20-D, and 20-20 = 0, so you do not need to do any RT. You will not be charged.

However, you must still attempt 1 IPPT in the next window.

PS: Sorry for the late reply. Took many months to attempt all those IPPTs sessions.

Last edited:

TKR1992

Master Member
Reaction score
your posts was from a long time ago btw.

whether was it a misunderstanding or not, thanks for you in pointing it out if you have understood the system.

still, i think u do not understand the post that we had replied to your query.

Hi, sorry for the (very) late reply. My window only just passed, and I was only able to confirm this recently.

My query was in relation to the 20-D rule. Specifically, what happens if you take IPPT a lot of times, and D is like 15, 18, or even 20.

Perhaps quoting your entire post was confusing. Take note of the underlined part:

Take note...

Conditions to enter RT -

1. Failed or defaulted your Individual Physical Proficiency Test (IPPT) in your previous window, or
2. Did not complete your IPPT Preparatory Training (IPT) in your previous window

U will still need to do RT even if u have had 20 IPPTs due to clause (1) mentioned above.

The correct answer is: You will not need to do RT if you have attempted IPPT 20 times, but you still need to attempt IPPT once in your next window.

Last edited:

Calander

Reaction score
Hi, sorry for the (very) late reply. My window only just passed, and I was only able to confirm this recently.

My query was in relation to the 20-D rule. Specifically, what happens if you take IPPT a lot of times, and D is like 15, 18, or even 20.

Perhaps quoting your entire post was confusing. Take note of the underlined part:

The correct answer is: You will not need to do RT if you have attempted IPPT 20 times, but you still need to attempt IPPT once in your next window.

thanks for highlighting this point for clarity sake.
anyway in this case, only the first 3 IPPT will be entitled to 1/2 service pay. whereas all 10x IPT or up to 20x RT sessions has this service pay.

therefore, whether to do 20x IPPT to substitute for 20x RTs is another simple question to think about.

bottomline is, nobody will ever do 20x IPPTs

TKR1992

Master Member
Reaction score
thanks for highlighting this point for clarity sake.
anyway in this case, only the first 3 IPPT will be entitled to 1/2 service pay. whereas all 10x IPT or up to 20x RT sessions has this service pay.

therefore, whether to do 20x IPPT to substitute for 20x RTs is another simple question to think about.

bottomline is, nobody will ever do 20x IPPTs

Nobody except me maybe? That's why when I asked, no one could answer as it is a rarely-encountered scenario.

Yes, only the first 3 IPPT are paid. But the amount to me is really insignificant, that's why this wasn't a factor at all. (It may be to other people though)

Due to real life commitments, I was really free last year, but knew I would be really busy this year. That's why I wanted to do more sessions last year to reduce my obligation for this year.

Furthermore, I find IPPT much more "chill" than RT. You don't have to follow the pace of the instructors. In extreme case, you can even do what Supporter said: 1 sit up 1 push up walk 30 min 2.4km. Whereas RT is more "siong". (I guess this is subjective though? Some people chill their way through RT also)

All in all, I'm happy things worked out, and just like to share this info with other people who may encounter same scenario as me.

Calander

Reaction score
Nobody except me maybe? That's why when I asked, no one could answer as it is a rarely-encountered scenario.

Yes, only the first 3 IPPT are paid. But the amount to me is really insignificant, that's why this wasn't a factor at all. (It may be to other people though)

Due to real life commitments, I was really free last year, but knew I would be really busy this year. That's why I wanted to do more sessions last year to reduce my obligation for this year.

Furthermore, I find IPPT much more "chill" than RT. You don't have to follow the pace of the instructors. In extreme case, you can even do what Supporter said: 1 sit up 1 push up walk 30 min 2.4km. Whereas RT is more "siong". (I guess this is subjective though? Some people chill their way through RT also)

All in all, I'm happy things worked out, and just like to share this info with other people who may encounter same scenario as me.

fair enough. but still, considering in just having to do 10x IPTs rather than 20x IPPT or RTs...

20x IPPTs still worthy in your opinion?

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I did my IPPT last week (for prev window) and failed. Now current window till next year is 19 RT sessions.

On the website, it states 1st, 8th and 20th session are RT-IPPT. Now that one session is taken off (20-1=19), does that mean my 1st and 8th RT are IPPT sessions and that's it? Or the 20th session IPPT shifted onto an earlier session?

TKR1992

Master Member
Reaction score
fair enough. but still, considering in just having to do 10x IPTs rather than 20x IPPT or RTs...

20x IPPTs still worthy in your opinion?

Total number of sessions would still be 20 over 2 years whether you do IPT, IPPT, or RT. (if you fail all the way)

The difference, as you pointed out, is the entitlement to service pay, and the timing of these session.

I merely chose to do more sessions last year to lessen the burden this year.

I do agree most people would prefer to spread out 10 sessions each year (plus get paid too!)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.