What Happen To My D-Link NAS 323

TheEngineer

Reaction score
I have tons of data saved in the NAS but hardly needed to retrieve. But they are still important nevertheless.

Recently the drive was undiscoverable and I found the network light didnt light up so I thought the network card in it is spoiled.

Then lately I saw the display on the NAS saying drive is degraded. While moving TV cabinet and changing furnitures, after rebooting the network light is up and so I accessed the drive console and saw the below:

NAS01.jpg

NAS02.jpg

The first image I though it says only 1 drive is spoiled.
But second image shows all drive 0Gb. So how many drive is spoiled?

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Did you choose to disable auto rebuild? For a raid 5 configuration 1 HDD can fail without losing data

kevinlaikf

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what puzzled me on TS question on Dlink 323 is 2 bay model, raid 0 or 1 max. his pic show 5 disks. with raid5. do u got the right model? or trolling?
I own 2 units of Dlink 323.

Sent from my friend's mobile using GAGT

TheEngineer

Reaction score
Did you choose to disable auto rebuild? For a raid 5 configuration 1 HDD can fail without losing data
Auto rebuild was off.
I didn’t expect to be total failure. If one fail and I still can get prompt or unable to access smh, least I will be prompted what error it is. In my case it was network card down so totally unable to discover so I open to clean them inside out of dust and put it back but still fail to discover. The LAN port also failed to light up. I just left it powered anyway. Then recently saw the display on the unit saying degraded drive. I still unable to discover it but due to changing TV console I have to stop it and adjust the placement. Miraculously after that I saw the port light up a few blink. Still cannot be seen on my mapped drive so I attempt to go into my router page to find the device IP and use explorer to go direct into the IP address and saw the screen attached.

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Auto rebuild was off.
I didn’t expect to be total failure. If one fail and I still can get prompt or unable to access smh, least I will be prompted what error it is. In my case it was network card down so totally unable to discover so I open to clean them inside out of dust and put it back but still fail to discover. The LAN port also failed to light up. I just left it powered anyway. Then recently saw the display on the unit saying degraded drive. I still unable to discover it but due to changing TV console I have to stop it and adjust the placement. Miraculously after that I saw the port light up a few blink. Still cannot be seen on my mapped drive so I attempt to go into my router page to find the device IP and use explorer to go direct into the IP address and saw the screen attached.

The first screen show that 1 drive in your raid has failed. Since you are using raid 5, you can rebuild your raid after replacing that drive.

2nd screen show the initial setup (configuration) screen. I assumed you did not rebuild your raid array and somehow decided to reset your NAS as new. Recovering from this point is harder. If data is not important just replace the original failed drive and start from scratch...

Last edited:

TheEngineer

Reaction score
The first screen show that 1 drive in your raid has failed. Since you are using raid 5, you can rebuild your raid after replacing that drive.

2nd screen show the initial setup (configuration) screen. I assumed you did not rebuild your raid array and somehow decided to reset your NAS as new. Recovering from this point is harder. If data is not important just replace the original failed drive and start from scratch...

I will try to replace one disk first and see the rebuild works or not. Else reformat everything.. LL.
Thanks

TheEngineer

Reaction score
- Update -
Found a 2Tb HDD and replace disk 2.
Turn ON, went into admin mode, auto-rebuild.
NAS03.jpg

Not sure if I will be able to see it on the network drive after rebuild is done. Or do I need to config in anyway to see it? Long time never meddle with this NAS..

TheEngineer

Reaction score
Update 12-Feb-2018.

As of today, got some time to fix this.
Read a little, downloaded the Dlink EasySearch Utility and tried.
All was like working, can see, can discover, got IP and everything but tried to map, popped a window saying "Failed to Map".

Googled further "Failed to map Dlink DNS343" and read about old SMB v1.0 security issue being removed by Windows 10 after prolong non-usage of old device or system off for more than 15 days or something like that.

It was mentioned in MS:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/0...indows_security_fix_may_break_network_shares/

Search about Windows features for tunring on/off SMB v1.0 and I tried.
Go to: Control Panel / Programs and Features / Turn Windows features on or off
Ensure the box is CHECKED for SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support. This older drive needs this box CHECKED. But unchecked the Automatic Removal.

Capture.jpg

Now I can see and map my NAS in Explorer.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Update 12-Feb-2018.

As of today, got some time to fix this.
Read a little, downloaded the Dlink EasySearch Utility and tried.
All was like working, can see, can discover, got IP and everything but tried to map, popped a window saying "Failed to Map".

Googled further "Failed to map Dlink DNS343" and read about old SMB v1.0 security issue being removed by Windows 10 after prolong non-usage of old device or system off for more than 15 days or something like that.

It was mentioned in MS:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/0...indows_security_fix_may_break_network_shares/

Search about Windows features for tunring on/off SMB v1.0 and I tried.
Go to: Control Panel / Programs and Features / Turn Windows features on or off
Ensure the box is CHECKED for SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support. This older drive needs this box CHECKED. But unchecked the Automatic Removal.

Capture.jpg

Now I can see and map my NAS in Explorer.

Your Nas does not support newer versions of SMB? SMB v1 is obsolete and a security risk

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.